Bears trading Greg Olsen dubbed one of worst trades since 2000

SugabearMVP

Liked Posts:
I remember being really excited when the Bears grabbed Olsen late in the 1st round. He had the awesome speed and was a smart TE. He could have developed better with Jay and Marshall on the team. More so than Bennett did with his tantrums.

Then hearing about possibly letting him go to Carolina was a huge letdown. We had the right TE, but obviously coaches were not very smart, which is why they were gone shortly thereafter.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels

I don't know about you guys, but this one still burns. I was so pissed at the time that we traded because of Martz.

AT the time, if i remember correctly, I was still hoping for the greatest show on turf part 2, (ah, the beauty of hindsight) and was just like why can't he use a TE?

How do you all feel about this? Does it still smart?

That was pretty obvious that was never gonna happen, even with Olsen. The 2010 and 2011 offenses were nowhere near that level.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
That 3rd rounder was paired with another 3rd rounder and became Brandon Marshall. So no, while I did not like the trade of Olsen, it was not one of the worst of the 2000s given it yielded half of Brandon Marshall.

Put another way, would I have traded Greg Olsen and a 3rd rounder for Marshall? The answer is yes I would.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I always thought that trade was stupid. Typical Bears.

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
Any knowledgeable football fan knew it was a stupid trade at the time it was made.

Even more ridiculous is the fact that a supposed "offensive genius" couldn't figure out how to use a TE with Olsen's skillset. How do you choose Brandon Malu over Olsen?

Brum Bear

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
The only positive for us from this trade was that we used the draft pick to get Brandon Marshall, who was excellent for us for a season or two.

Always liked Olsen and was really disappointed at the time when we traded him.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Hard to call the Olsen trade the worst when a few years later you had the Gaines Adams trade.

EDIT: the second round pick that was traded for Adams? Rob Gronkowski.

EDIT 2: Tampa traded that pick second round pick to Oakland, who eventually traded it to the Patriots. Who did the Raiders select with that pick? Lamar Houston.

Bust

Liked Posts:
Imagine trading Greg Olsen, the QB's best friend, and replacing his production with lazy ass Roy Williams, who no one wanted after the season was over.. This is the kind of shit that got Lovie fired...

It was Martz's idea. Martz didn't like Olsen but yea. A Headcoach with ballz vetoes his offensive coordinator.

Britbuffguy

Liked Posts:
And the TWO TEs they replaced him with couldn't catch a cold, let alone the ball. I do wonder if that was when Cutler clearly stopped giving a shit.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Hard to call the Olsen trade the worst when a few years later you had the Gaines Adams trade.

EDIT: the second round pick that was traded for Adams? Rob Gronkowski.

EDIT 2: Tampa traded that pick second round pick to Oakland, who eventually traded it to the Patriots. Who did the Raiders select with that pick? Lamar Houston.

Earlier.

napo55

Liked Posts:
The really pathetic fact is that almost all of the Bears fan base knew it was a ridiculous trade. Sad when amateurs on a message board have better judgment than the professionals who are paid millions to do the right thing.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It was Martz's idea. Martz didn't like Olsen but yea. A Headcoach with ballz vetoes his offensive coordinator.

It wasn't that he disliked Olsen. It is that Olsen would have been wasted in Martz system because he doesn't throw to TEs all that much. TEs in his system were there to block. Case in point, who was the TE when the Rams won the Super Bowl?