Bears vs Packers: Keys to Victory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veritas

Liked Posts:
Last week I said the Cowboys should be favored over the Bears but there were enough weaknesses that the Bears could exploit and picked the Bears to win that game. This week the Packers again should be favored to win the game and there are some opportunities for the Bears to find a way to win but they are much less obvious and we do not match up as well against the Packers as we did the Cowboys.

First off we must know where Clay Matthews is on every down and make sure we have a competent person blocking him. Green Bay has a larger defensive front than the Cowboys, they do not get as much penetration, and they rely heavily on Clay Matthews to pressure the quarterback. The Packers have two good corners like the Cowboys but they also have a very good safety in Nick Collins to take away the deep middle of the field, we are going to have to run the ball and throw some screens to open up plays down the field this week rather than just attack them deep right away. The Packers are smaller at linebacker but much faster than the Cowboys and they play very discipline. The Packers have given up a ton of rushing yards this season and we will need to be somewhat successful this week in running the ball for once.

On defense Julius Peppers will be facing a banged up rookie left tackle and the Packers don't have Jason Witten or Marion Barber to help block him, Peppers should be in for a big day but if we give Aaron Rodgers time he will carve up our secondary and the Packers will win the game, he is prone to far fewer mistakes than Tony Romo. They Packers have a ton of weapons to throw to, Jermichael Finley is the x-factor this week. He is one of the most underrated tight ends in the NFL and is very hard to cover. We all know about Greg Jennings and Donald Driver on the outside but James Jones and Jordy Nelson are very competent weapons from the slot for the Packers.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Last week I said the Cowboys should be favored over the Bears but there were enough weaknesses that the Bears could exploit and picked the Bears to win that game. This week the Packers again should be favored to win the game and there are some opportunities for the Bears to find a way to win but they are much less obvious and we do not match up as well against the Packers as we did the Cowboys.

First off we must know where Clay Matthews is on every down and make sure we have a competent person blocking him. Green Bay has a larger defensive front than the Cowboys, they do not get as much penetration, and they rely heavily on Clay Matthews to pressure the quarterback. The Packers have two good corners like the Cowboys but they also have a very good safety in Nick Collins to take away the deep middle of the field, we are going to have to run the ball and throw some screens to open up plays down the field this week rather than just attack them deep right away. The Packers are smaller at linebacker but much faster than the Cowboys and they play very discipline. The Packers have given up a ton of rushing yards this season and we will need to be somewhat successful this week in running the ball for once.

On defense Julius Peppers will be facing a banged up rookie left tackle and the Packers don't have Jason Witten or Marion Barber to help block him, Peppers should be in for a big day but if we give Aaron Rodgers time he will carve up our secondary and the Packers will win the game, he is prone to far fewer mistakes than Tony Romo. They Packers have a ton of weapons to throw to, Jermichael Finley is the x-factor this week. He is one of the most underrated tight ends in the NFL and is very hard to cover. We all know about Greg Jennings and Donald Driver on the outside but James Jones and Jordy Nelson are very competent weapons from the slot for the Packers.

Personally, I think the Cowboys have better weapons on offense than the Packers...from TE to WR to RB...but Rodgers is clearly better than Romo...which could be trouble. For example...in the 2nd half on 3rd and 4 or so, Choice came out of the backfield and nearly made a catch that would've allowed him to walk into the endzone, however the throw was off-target and Choice couldn't bring it in. Rodgers won't make that mistake.

Also, Finley isn't underrated. I've heard nothing but absolute love for that dude since the season ended last year. He'll have to play out of his mind every week to meet the expectations that have been placed upon him. But, he's solid..and a hell of a weapon in the vertical game.

Peppers and Tommie (and the rest of the DL) have to play BIG in this game, imo...and Forte's gotta get some rushing yards...Cutler just has to keep his mistakes down (as he did against Dallas) and we should be in for another great game.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
This game is our second test..and a true test of what kind of team we will be this year...The Cowboys were our first real test and we passed it, but the Cowboys are perhaps a dysfunctional team.

The Packers are more than likely the real deal. If we beat them or play them really close I like our chances the rest of the year. If the Packers dominate us, I'm not saying the year will be over, but it will be a testiment to how we handle a big game and a big test.

Cutler has 13 touchdowns and only 2 interceptions in his last 4 games (dating back to last year)...Hopefully this run continues. Also Cutler is 17-0 in games where his QB rating is above 100.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
^^^^ And 5-0 when he does not throw an interception.

RandallPinkFloyd42

Liked Posts:
With Harris and Bigby on the PUP list, it should make it a bit easier to throw the ball. We have to stop Matthews though or Cutler may end up like Kevin Kolb.

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
With Harris and Bigby on the PUP list, it should make it a bit easier to throw the ball. We have to stop Matthews though or Cutler may end up like Kevin Kolb.

A pussy?

BigP50

04-21-2012
Liked Posts:
Personally, I think the Cowboys have better weapons on offense than the Packers...from TE to WR to RB...but Rodgers is clearly better than Romo...which could be trouble. For example...in the 2nd half on 3rd and 4 or so, Choice came out of the backfield and nearly made a catch that would've allowed him to walk into the endzone, however the throw was off-target and Choice couldn't bring it in. Rodgers won't make that mistake.

Also, Finley isn't underrated. I've heard nothing but absolute love for that dude since the season ended last year. He'll have to play out of his mind every week to meet the expectations that have been placed upon him. But, he's solid..and a hell of a weapon in the vertical game.

Peppers and Tommie (and the rest of the DL) have to play BIG in this game, imo...and Forte's gotta get some rushing yards...Cutler just has to keep his mistakes down (as he did against Dallas) and we should be in for another great game.

The Packers are way better then the Boys on offense. Rodgers is better then Romo and with the WR core of Jennings, Drivers, Nelson and Jones the Bears or any team will have an extremely difficult time keeping up. Throw in the fact that JerMike Finely is one of the most athletic TE's in the NFL it will only make it that much harder. With Grant being out we will go to the air early and often .

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Other thing to consider is how the Bears played the Packers last season

In the two games vs the Bears last season Rodgers was:
Week 1: 17/28 184 yards 1 touchdown 0 interceptions sacked 4 times
Week 14: 16/24 180 yards 0 touchdowns 0 interceptions sacked 3 times

So they held his yardage at bay last season...and if the Bears had an offense in those two games last year, they probably would have won...They had the lead in both games into the 4th quarter. Week 1, we are well aware as to what happened with Cutler.

The Packers will be without Ryan Grant..so if they can do what they did to Rodgers last season; and do what they've been doing so far this year with the run, the potentially could shut down the Packers. This game will be a great test and we shall see what happens.

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
The Packers are way better then the Boys on offense. Rodgers is better then Romo and with the WR core of Jennings, Drivers, Nelson and Jones the Bears or any team will have an extremely difficult time keeping up. Throw in the fact that JerMike Finely is one of the most athletic TE's in the NFL it will only make it that much harder. With Grant being out we will go to the air early and often .

You would take Jennings, Driver and Nelson over Austin, Bryant and Roy "firstdown" Williams? And you'd take even a healthy Grant and Jackson over Barber, Jones and Choice? The TE thing is almost un-debatable, imo. Witten catches everything and is probably the best blocking TE among starters in the league.

But, I'll give you Rodgers > Romo.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Why is BigP such a homer?

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Anyways, I agree this is a big test. I think if we win this game, we are for real. If we lose but close, I'd say we have a shot at the wild card. If we look horrible, and they kill us, then we suck.. lol.

Cover3

wat
Liked Posts:
they need to be able to generate some kind of pressure when they double Peppers, if they let him the same kind of time they did Romo.. he's really going to hurt us.

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Packers are a serious contending team, in my opinion. They should be the favorites in the NFC North over the Bears or Vikings. But, honestly, people have been writing off the Bears- left and right... This is a team that can hit you with the deep pass at any time... return a punt for a TD at anytime, and is as consistent at kicking FGs from inside 45-yds as any team in the NFL. The Bears even have great receiving backs on offense.

Picking the Packers in this game would be easy... but if anybody is the homer, it's me, because I predicted the Bears to go 16-0 and the Fudgepackers 2-14. :D

Regardless... I say the Bears can roll with any team in the NFC. They've already proved to be as good or better than Dallas. Minnesota is in self-destruct mode right now. GB is good... but the Bears can beat them. New Orleans is obviously great too... but the Bears have beat them before, and they can again. Don't be surprised when the Bears are back in Cowboys Stadium repping the NFC in the Super Bowl this season.

Rex Jaybels

Liked Posts:
they need to be able to generate some kind of pressure when they double Peppers, if they let him the same kind of time they did Romo.. he's really going to hurt us.

Absolutely agree. Paging Tommie Harris. Has anyone seen him?

Rodgers is really accurate and Jennings, Driver and Finley will get open if he gets time to throw. Plus Rodgers is very mobile.

BigP50

04-21-2012
Liked Posts:
You would take Jennings, Driver and Nelson over Austin, Bryant and Roy "firstdown" Williams? And you'd take even a healthy Grant and Jackson over Barber, Jones and Choice? The TE thing is almost un-debatable, imo. Witten catches everything and is probably the best blocking TE among starters in the league.

But, I'll give you Rodgers > Romo.

yeah the Boys run game is a lot better but the WR comparison is with out a doubt goes to the Packers. Bryant is a rookie, Roy Williams has been pretty bad but ill give you Miles Austin but Austin is not better then Jennings or Driver. Driver and Jennings are better then any Boys WR. Plus like Troy Aikman said James Jones would be a #2 on most teams in the NFL.

Last edited:

Rex Jaybels

Liked Posts:
yeah the Boys run game is a lot better but the WR comparison is with out a doubt goes to the Packers. Bryant is a rookie, Roy Williams has been pretty bad but ill give you Miles Austin but Austin is not better then Jennings or Driver. Driver and Jennings are better then any Boys WR. Plus like Troy Aikmen said James Jones would be a #2 on most teams in the NFL.

I don't know about what Aikmen had to say, but I'm with you BigP50, the Packers receivers are much better as a group. The Packers have a solid fundamental group of big receivers. Finley only adds to that group.

Williams is no where near as good as Jennings. Look at the numbers.

Dpauley23

Liked Posts:
Absolutely agree. Paging Tommie Harris. Has anyone seen him?

Rodgers is really accurate and Jennings, Driver and Finley will get open if he gets time to throw. Plus Rodgers is very mobile.

I don't know what game you were watching, but Tommie Harris was getting Double teams most of the game. This allowed Anthony Adams and Matt Toeania to make a lot of plays

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I don't know about what Aikmen had to say, but I'm with you BigP50, the Packers receivers are much better as a group. The Packers have a solid fundamental group of big receivers. Finley only adds to that group.

Williams is no where near as good as Jennings. Look at the numbers.

What the hell are you and BigP talking about?

No one is comparing Roy Williams (the cowboys #3) to Jennings (the pack #1)...

But if you wanna run Austin's numbers against Jennings, feel free. Austin, in a losing effort, still put up about 150 yards last week...

And Troy Aikman (with an 'a' instead of an 'e') was pissed the whole game b/c his boys were getting smacked around...his attempt to hide his homerism was laughable...

Rex Jaybels

Liked Posts:
X, my comparing those two was wrong, but I still take the packer wr's over the cowboys as a group.

And I hate when they put ex players in the booth for games against their old teams like they did with AikmAn.

BearMan2010

Liked Posts:
Key to this game is putting a helmet on Rogers every single down ! Sack him, Hit him, Hurry him, make him worry every time he touches the ball that a Bear is gonna eat him ! Da BEARS take Rogers out of his comfort zone, we WIN ! :woot:

Status
Not open for further replies.