Because Posting in the Cutler subForum Sucks....

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
I am just thankful the were so dysfunctional that it was a quick change. 10 years of 7-9 , 8-8 with the contract year playoff appearance, rinsed and repeated wasted a decade.

Yeah, I suppose that's true. They did set us back a year or two, but we got em outta there quick, thankfully.

BearUp

Liked Posts:
I simply don't think it is even debatable to suggest that the Cutler trade has helped the team. Since the team hasn't accomplished anything under Cutler, it really can't be looked back in hindsight as a good deal. Thus, Cutler (good or bad) has been bad for the Bears. Nothing may have helped under Trestman/Tucker but the odds of the course-of-the-team turning out the exact same if the Cutler trade had not been made are very low. In other words, had we not traded for Cutler we probably never would have witnessed the Testman/Tucker era.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
PLEASE READ - I THINK WE ALL ACTUALLY AGREE ABOUT CUTLER!

First a terrible poem...
Is Cutler good?
Is he bad?
Is he the best we've ever had?
Sometimes he's hot,
sometimes he chokes,
but he's never far,
from a pack of smokes.

With any marketable commodity, even with football players, it is not purely about QUALITY, it is about VALUE. Most of us when we make purchases in life understand this concept. I might be able to spend $480 on a pair of sneakers which are just the best ever and I might find a pair of sneakers for $5 that are just junk. One is the best quality, one is the worst. Seeing my needs as a worker/dad and only occasional fun-with-my-friends athlete I will opt to buy a pair of shoes in the (lower)mid-range. Why, not because they are the best but because they are the best VALUE for my needs.

I believe Cutler was purchased at a PREMIUM price in both TRADE and SALARY. He has not played up to that PREMIUM level, making him a poor VALUE. Now, not arguing if he is good or bad, do you think he was a good VALUE?

Did signing Cutler accomplish anything that paying a premium price would seek to accomplish?
Sure, if you buy the $480 shoes and they're better than the $100 pair you usually get - they are BETTER. However, if they don't improve your game, don't make you a better dad (or whatever your focus) then they were a poor VALUE choice. A purchase at an unnecessary cost - that additional $380 could have been better spent. Good shoes, no doubt, but paying the extra $380 accomplished nothing. So, WAS CUTLER WORTH THE COST? Or could the investment in him (trades, money) have been better spent -- meaning even if he is the BEST EVER -- he was a poor VALUE because he failed to achieve what he was purchased to achieve. Sure... This could all be the fault of others. Ok. But it still doesn't change the fact of him being a poor value.

So all this argument about Cutler really doesn't matter much. He is not a "magic shoe" that is going to single-handedly make the Bears a contender; unfortunately the Bears made the investment believing he was (or that one even existed). He may be the best QB ever and it still doesn't matter because he was still a poor value (as nothing was accomplished).

So... Now, you're at the point where you realize the $480 shoes aren't going to make you the super-athlete you thought they would. EVERYONE CAN AGREE HERE. The Bears/Cutler project has NOT been a success. So let's stop debating the QUALITY of the $480 shoes. Let's agree that they (great shoes or bad) were a poor value and discuss what to do next...

Do you keep the shoes - after all you already have them? Do you sell the shoes while they might still have value? Or do you toss the shoes in the trash because regardless of what you paid it is time for a nice clean pair?

PS. Go ahead, move this... I am just feeling finicky today.

Ummmmmmm shut it up.

Packer Fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
PLEASE READ - I THINK WE ALL ACTUALLY AGREE ABOUT CUTLER!

First a terrible poem...
Is Cutler good?
Is he bad?
Is he the best we've ever had?
Sometimes he's hot,
sometimes he chokes,
but he's never far,
from a pack of smokes.

I liked the poem.