Being an All-Star never a hassle for Sandberg Former Cubs great considered it a privi

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I will say this again. Why is it so bad that a guy that at the last possible moment was asked to the All-Star game turned it down to be with his family? Yet no one here has issue with Derek Jeter not showing up at all even though he has been off the DL for a week, and is so hurt that he is the middle of a 5 game hitting streak and went 5 for 5 to get his 3,000 hit. Jeter, who doesn't live in another country, also isn't showing up at all at the All-Star Game either, but that is okay?

No it's not okay but this is a Chicago sports forum. So why would we be talking about Jeter here?

For the national media what Jeter did is getting much more coverage, but since one of our own turned it down, and since about 345 other players turned it down its a story.

Had Aramis been voted in by the players or fans or been told a week ago my stance would be totally different. It is shameful that Jeter isn't going. Even if he is "hurt" he should still be there to acknowledge the fans that voted him in. Especially after he JUST got 3000.

Doogolas

Liked Posts:
Well, lucky for Sandberg he didn't have a shitload of family living outside the God damn country that he rarely got to see. So maybe he should just shut his big ass mouth.

Rush

Fuck it, Go Deep
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Carolina Hurricanes
  1. Duke Blue Devils
Well, lucky for Sandberg he didn't have a shitload of family living outside the God damn country that he rarely got to see. So maybe he should just shut his big ass mouth.

Agreed

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Aramis is a poor person who couldn't have afforded a change of plans :rolleyes:

And the Cubs wouldn't have paid for the family to come see him :rolleyes:

Money is not an excuse for Ramirez.

It should be a goal to play, and when offered to be on the team, you take it. He can never play on the 2011 All-star team again. Instead, he goes on vacation.

fuck no they wouldn't have.

And, I don't completely blame him. As a fan, I wish he would've gone...but I can't say i would've done something different. Money isn't everything. Gotta be missin' your family at this point in a long, unsuccessful season.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
OK, he didn't attack Ramirez.

Coming from the guy who said Fukudome is better than Quentin by a lot :rolleyes:

He said it should never be a hassle to go the all-star game, which it shouldn't. Instead Ramirez goes on vacation for 2 days. It's not like the all-star game is a weeklong event like the NFL Pro-bowl.

It's not like Ramirez didn't take 2 days off to visit his family in May.

It's not like Ramirez is making league minimum. Ramirez doesn't have a clause in his contract that pays him for making the all-star team. :rolleyes:

It's not like the Cubs are bankrupt and couldn't afford to pay for his flight changes.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Honestly what does Ramirez playing in the All-Star game do to improve the Cubs? Ramirez playing in the All-Star game isn't going to suddenly improve his trade value. Though it does have the possibility that he could get hurt and nullify any chance to get something for him. I guess I just don't see why people care so much about, what should be, a meaningless* exhibition game.

*Certainly meaningless as far as the Cubs are concerned.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Honestly what does Ramirez playing in the All-Star game do to improve the Cubs? Ramirez playing in the All-Star game isn't going to suddenly improve his trade value. Though it does have the possibility that he could get hurt and nullify any chance to get something for him. I guess I just don't see why people care so much about, what should be, a meaningless* exhibition game.

*Certainly meaningless as far as the Cubs are concerned.
I don't ever remember a player playing to better their own team.

This all-star game is for us fans, and he :bigfinger: to us and the team.

Not only that, he gets paid for an all-star appearance.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't ever remember a player playing to better their own team.

This all-star game is for us fans, and he :bigfinger: to us and the team.

Not only that, he gets paid for an all-star appearance.

I don't care about the All-Star Game. I have less interest since Selig over reacted to the whole tie fiasco in 2002. If you think that Aramis is giving you the middle finger by deciding to spend time with his family and rest for regular season games that actually effect this team, then I guess you are entitled to that. I prefer Aramis come back strong after the break, and continue to increase his trade value.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I don't care about the All-Star Game. I have less interest since Selig over reacted to the whole tie fiasco in 2002. If you think that Aramis is giving you the middle finger by deciding to spend time with his family and rest for regular season games that actually effect this team, then I guess you are entitled to that. I prefer Aramis come back strong after the break, and continue to increase his trade value.
Respectable. I don't care for the all-star game either.

But these games that will affect the team, will they be for the playoffs or draft position?

I'm thinking the latter.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Respectable. I don't care for the all-star game either.

But these games that will affect the team, will they be for the playoffs or draft position?

I'm thinking the latter.

I think how Aramis plays will affect how much the Cubs could get for him. If Aramis is open to a trade, and his option doesn't become guaranteed if traded (which there has been conflicting reports on) he could be one of the most valuable guys in a trade. 3B production is beyond terrible in baseball right now, and if Ramirez is still pounding the ball up to the deadline we could actually fetch a key prospect or two for him.

Whether the games affect draft position or trade value, the regular season has far more impact on every team than the All-Star Game.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think how Aramis plays will affect how much the Cubs could get for him. If Aramis is open to a trade, and his option doesn't become guaranteed if traded (which there has been conflicting reports on) he could be one of the most valuable guys in a trade. 3B production is beyond terrible in baseball right now, and if Ramirez is still pounding the ball up to the deadline we could actually fetch a key prospect or two for him.

Whether the games affect draft position or trade value, the regular season has far more impact on every team than the All-Star Game.
This isn't about the regular season standings.

This about the fans, and playing for the love of the game. Not only that, but the nice bonus you get for playing in the game.

I don't understand why some Cub fans are so willing to defend Ramirez, after what he did to the Cubs in 2006, forcing the team to overpay for him instead of taking a discount for more years,

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:

This about the fans, and playing for the love of the game. Not only that, but the nice bonus you get for playing in the game.

I don't understand why some Cub fans are so willing to defend Ramirez, after what he did to the Cubs in 2006, forcing the team to overpay for him instead of taking a discount for more years,

Asking your employer for more money that you deserve = bad?

Good luck in the real world :lol:

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Asking your employer for more money that you deserve = bad?

Good luck in the real world :lol:
Yeah, when you've been well paid as Ramirez was. He could have signed an extension during the season or before.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why wouldn't any player want to get as much money as he possibly can? Money isn't finite even if you get paid millions of it. More money = good.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:

You really think Ramirez got the most money he could by staying with the Cubs. He could have been part of the same free agent class that got Alfonso Soriano that 8 year 136 million dollar deal or Barry Zito 7 years 126 million or Carlos Lee 6 year 100 million dollar. Ramirez left a lot of money by not testing the free agent market. His deal was an increase in pay over what he was going to make, but lets not act like he didn't take a discount to stay here.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Why wouldn't any player want to get as much money as he possibly can? Money isn't finite even if you get paid millions of it. More money = good.
But if you truly like and respect the organization you play for, you sign an extension, and you don't handle it like Jeter or Pujols. God bless em for testing the market and getting paid. That's fine. I don't have to like it when the Cubs overpay though.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
But if you truly like and respect the organization you play for, you sign an extension, and you don't handle it like Jeter or Pujols. God bless em for testing the market and getting paid. That's fine. I don't have to like it when the Cubs overpay though.

You don't have to like it, but it's the way business works and the business world doesn't revolve around what you like.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:

But he didn't test the market like Jeter did or Pujols is going to. He signed a contract extension on November 12, 2006 which was the day after you had to file for free agency. Ramirez resigned with the Cubs before any team could talk to him.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Aramis Ramirez

Ramirez's contract, even if his value during it doesn't match up, will pay for the value he did provide throughout his Cubs' career.