Blackhawks in the Olympics

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
I enjoy the Olympics as it pits one countries best against another. I guess it's not for everyone, but in this instance in entertained.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="EspoForever" data-cid="218605" data-time="1389132730">
<div>

I live an 8 hour round trip (in good weather) from the UC and have a 9-game pack, plus playoffs...and just returned from a trip to Long Island and New Jersey for some road games. I am not an STH but I feel I earn the right to be skeptical of our guys going over there. I would love to see players from the various countries' developmental programs fight it out.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

</p>
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Trev" data-cid="218607" data-time="1389134064">
<div>

I enjoy the Olympics as it pits one countries best against another. I guess it's not for everyone, but in this instance in entertained.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

All of this is perspective. </p>

</p>

I personally think the trend of the olympics is that the best a country has to offer should be competing--especially since it's once ever 4 years.  I have no problems with that and let's face it, many of these athletes take great pride in being able to represent their country.</p>

</p>

The caveat to that IMHO is that they should limit the IIHF championships then to non-top-tier players only, or no pros whatsoever.</p>

</p>

I do also see the argument in having the olympics being amateur only, but then I would like to see the "dream teams" of the best players duke it out.</p>

</p>

Anyhow, back to Air Conditioner ballast.

The argument that we the fans pay their salary and as such we should have a say as to whether or not a player can compete simply doesn't wash. That would be like arguing that since my job works with a lot of municipalities, and as such ultimately my paycheck comes from tax dollars, that Orville Pigdicker down the road has a say in what equipment our firm lets the engineering personnel use.</p>

Forklift

Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Variable" data-cid="218590" data-time="1389123474">
<div>

For that reason I'd like to have seen Saad make Team USA, and if someone gets hurt and can't make the Olympics he will make the team, otherwise I don't really care either. Must be cool  for Hammer and Kruger to make their team for the first time though.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

Even if Saad doesn't go this time, in 4 years he'll be 25 with multiple Stanley Cup rings. It'll just be icing on the cake at that point.</p>

cplmac

Liked Posts:
RK I can totally understand where you are coming from, but as an unabashed nationalist I want the best guys on my team. Also the Olympics for me have always been a genuinely heartwarming moment of humanity at its best globally.

Variable

Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Forklift" data-cid="218614" data-time="1389139042">
<div>

Even if Saad doesn't go this time, in 4 years he'll be 25 with multiple Stanley Cup rings. It'll just be icing on the cake at that point.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

I meant more in the way of getting more experience in big games before this year's playoffs. That's why I was glad as many Hawks players went  as they did back in 10', namely Toews, Kane, Seabrook and Keith, not for any nationalist reason, but just for the experience of playing in bigger games like that, games that have more importance on them, no matter if their team wins a medal or not.  For most of the Hawks now, having climbed the mountain and back twice, yeah I don't care if they make the Olympics or not or  if would decide to opt out. But for Saad, at this point in his career, the more experience the better is the way I see it.</p>

roshinaya

fnord
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="cplmac" data-cid="218615" data-time="1389143070">

RK I can totally understand where you are coming from, but as an unabashed nationalist I want the best guys on my team. Also the Olympics for me have always been a genuinely heartwarming moment of humanity at its best globally.</p></blockquote>
What, unabashed corporate greed?

puckjim

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="MassHavoc" data-cid="218589" data-time="1389123460">
<div>

I'm going to have to slighly disagree... I really like the olympics, especially sports that I normally like. And just behind curling is my love for olympic hockey... BUUUTTT having said that, I could give a shit if it's the NHL players. They could put the US's best High School players out there and I'd still love it. What I saw of the world juniors I liked, and I didn't watch more only because it was so horrifically publicized I never knew it was on without happening to see it on the guide. So while I could give a fuck if it's the NHL players, I do enjoy the olympics.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

This is how I feel.  I enjoy watching, but I would rather have Blackhawks players at home resting for games that really matter.</p>

the canadian dream

Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="puckjim" data-cid="218659" data-time="1389210101">
<div>

This is how I feel.  I enjoy watching, but I would rather have Blackhawks players at home resting for games that really matter.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

Too much emphasis on "rest" during the Olympic break. It's actually the players that come back from the Olympics that play better than those who sat at home "resting". Taking a 2 week break can actually be more detrimental than continuing to play at high levels esp this time of year. These are pros they can handle it they have been doing it since they were in highschool. Hockey is their life and blood. Ask the majority of them and they will probably say they would rather be playing Olympic hockey or continuing on with the NHL season than taking a two week break from competitive action. Two weeks off may not sound like a lot but I have heard a lot of players say that the break does effect their game shape when the NHL does return.</p>

</p>

But I do too agree that if it were non nhl pros playing at the olympics i would still watch and enjoy it also. The NHL players do make it more of a spectacle though which too me at least is fun.</p>

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
No need to play guys 28-30 minutes a game when teams are stacked.  </p>