Blackhawks/Rockford: Inside Information

Relapse

Leddy > Cullimore
Liked Posts:
So I just got back from some Christmas Eve rat hockey at a new rink I normally don't skate at. I am glad I made the trip because I ran into and got to play with some current Icehogs and some very close friends of guys that were not there. Ivan Vishnevskiy, Igor Makarov, and Brandon Bollig were all playing with us.

A close friend of Kyle Beach sold me a prostock stick of Beach's for $25, it is a righty and I shoot left but I figured it would make a cool piece of memorabilia.

Some inside information I got from the guys from talking to them on the bench was Igor has considered going back to Russia because of the money and he is tired of being a healthy scratch in Rockford (Igor did not tell me this a friend of his did, Igor's English is a work in progress). Ivan told me that his agent informed him that the Blackhawks have plans for him to play in the NHL later in the season but for right now it is a numbers game (cap space).

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
Hmmm...maybe after we clear some space at the deadline? then we bring him up?

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
It's also what the Hawks want him to be told and be thinking if it happens or not.

Captain Iago

Giver of Occular Proof
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's also what the Hawks want him to be told and be thinking if it happens or not.

This is exactly what I'm thinking - the Hawks had to tell him he had a shot at playing else he would have not stayed for sure.

Wouldn't mind seeing what he could do at NHL speed.

Relapse

Leddy > Cullimore
Liked Posts:
How come Igor's getting scratched in Rockford? Was he struggling?

I just looked at the Rockford stats and according to those Makarov has played in 28 of Rockford's 29 games. With the World Juniors amping up right now I have not been keeping up with the Icehogs as much as I would like. The friend of Igor's who was talking to me about the situation was not completely fluent in English and it is possible that he meant he was not pleased with his ice time or role in the organization. I do know for a fact he said clearly Igor made great money in the KHL and has thought of returning. Or the Icehog stats record your based on roster status and he has been a scratch, I could be wrong.

Vishnevskiy is an awesome guy and very personable. We were shooting for the crossbar and posts because we had no goalies show up and Igor could rip his slap shot dead on at the crossbar every single time from beyond the blueline. The felling I got from Ivan is that he knows he will eventually get a chance in the NHL because he has already shown he can compete at that level.

Keep in mind those guys were with friends and we were playing hockey so it is not like I interviewed them, it was just friendly talk when I found myself on the bench at the same time as one of them.

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
How come Igor's getting scratched in Rockford? Was he struggling?

His own fault for not coming to North America earlier. Serves his ass right.

Ivan Vishnevskiy is nothing special. Didn't understand the hoopla over this guy.

Brian Connolly is outplaying his ass.

southern_cross_116

Liked Posts:
I think what Relapse is saying is about the level of skill those guys have.

I had a similar experience back in KC in the early 90's with a guy who was a career minor leaguer and played a game or 2 at most with the Sharks in their first season I think - and that guy outplayed everyone there -even while playing (I don't recall if the guy was right handed or left handed - but he played the drop in with the opposite ) -but still with his regular stick (meaning the curve was going the wrong way....) -and he could still rifle a pass right on a guy's tape- I nearly picked off one once - but it was harder than most guy's shots I'd played with. He showed up with a kid who was one of his neighbors. I doubt the name matter much - as no one will have heard of him -but for the record -it was Claudio Scremin.

So I think the point Relapse is making as well -is that you know dump all you like on these guys -but they can do some pretty unreal stuff.

Hoopla? What hoopla? The guy is a minor leaguer in the minors... no one banks on those guys.

Maybe Makarov's mate was meaning "sitting out" to be the same as not being called up to the NHL. I don't think he has much of a bargaining position considering the number of similarly skilled wingers in the system -but best of luck to him I guess.

Relapse

Leddy > Cullimore
Liked Posts:
I think what Relapse is saying is about the level of skill those guys have. So I think the point Relapse is making as well -is that you know dump all you like on these guys -but they can do some pretty unreal stuff.

No I was more or less just letting you guys know that I did get to play and talk with Igor and Ivan and was letting you know what I had heard from them.

Obviously comparing first round NHL draft picks to former AAA players that now play in a mens league is not going to gauge skill. I am not making the case that either should be in the NHL right now, just giving you guys the story. I do think that Ivan should be in the NHL over Cullimore right now but that is not because I played with him yesterday.

icehogfan08

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Igor has not been a scratch, but has been getting 4th line time

icehogfan08

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
how has he looked in your opinion?

I think he is one of the better forwards on the team. His puck handling skills, and stick skills are really fun to watch. I think he has adapted to the North american size rinks, and uses the boards more for his speed and handles. Why he is getting that time, I am not sure, but he is one of the Hogs more creative players and creates opportunities. I personally think it is time for a head coaching change in Rockford