Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
http://espn.go.com/chicago/nhl/stor...ks-finland-goaltender-antti-raanta-agree-deal

The Chicago Blackhawks have agreed to terms on an entry-level contract with standout free agent Finnish goaltender Antti Raanta.
The 6-foot, 24-year-old had a breakout season this year in the Finnish Elite League where he was the regular-season and playoff MVP.
In 45 games with Assat Pori, he was 21-10-11 with a .943 save percentage. He also started for Finland in the World Championships where he finished 4-3 with a 2.09 goals-against average and .928 save percentage.
Blackhawks starting goalie Corey Crawford still has one year remaining on his contract but backup Ray Emery is set to become an unrestricted free agent in July.

Great move by Bowman to get this guy in the fold and see how well he transfers into the NHL.

Gravis

Bears/Bulls/Hawks by 400
Liked Posts:
:yeah:

Gunzaan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Does anyone know about this guy or the Finnish league? His stats seem stellar on paper, even at the Worlds.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Does anyone know about this guy or the Finnish league? His stats seem stellar on paper, even at the Worlds.

idk anything about the guy, other than, like you, his stats are incredible...Translation to the NHL will be the big kicker. But w/ Emery set to become a FA, it's good to get a replacement in the fold early.

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
can never have enough depth..Looking forward to see how this kid translates to the NHL

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think with the way Crawford is playing right now I'd like to see what this guy can do in the NHL. No need for a vet like Emery to be the backup anymore if Crawford can continue to play like he has.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
The goalie depth is so weak in ready talent, anything like that sounds good.

Sent from Neverwhere using Taptalk

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
With the cap, unless you're poised to get after the Cup like this year's Hawks are...having a high priced veteran backup is a luxury most teams can't afford. Best to go with a veteran starter and younger(cheaper) backup. It would ne nice if he could step right in when Emery moves on. Im wondering how a young veteran star from the Finnish Elite compares to NHL players?

Gunzaan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1088431

If you want to read up on him, which I highly encourage, there it is.

3 things that jumped out at me.

- It's a lot of good info from 3-4 Finnish people who have watched him for awhile.
- The thread was created last year, so the first 4 pages or so are all updates on his crazy stats.
- The last few pages are all about the teams interested in signing them.... There was quite a lot of NHL interest.

After reading that thread, I'm excited to see him in action next year!!

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
This seems like a good move. The Hawks need to make some tough choices and basically everyone behind Crawford is a UFA after the postseason. This is a nice add to be able to go cheap on backup goalie and maybe keep a couple of the other forwards that are going to be free agents.

Gunzaan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1440541

Here is another good thread about him... Some of the Finnish guys claim he has the potential to be as good as Kiper, Thomas, Niemi, Volkoun, amongst others that have played in that same league. Also, the Hawks were the first team to contact him and they have been following him for months, hence this isn't a "reactionary signing" to his recent incredible playoff run.

Niiiiiiiice.

Last edited:

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Nice signing. Rather have him backing up next yr & let Emery walk.

whitesoxman77

Jr. White Sox GM
Donator
Liked Posts:
I saw the beginning of the thread title and thought we got Niemi back :lol:

whitesoxman77

Jr. White Sox GM
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well I was on main forum page and not in the Blackhawks forum, so it said "Blackhawks Sign G Antti...."

Sent from my Gopher hole using Tapatalk

Gunzaan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well I was on main forum page and not in the Blackhawks forum, so it said "Blackhawks Sign G Antti...."

Sent from my Gopher hole using Tapatalk

Ahhh, well then my bad, that is a totally legit excuse :)

And, maybe your post was foreshadowing.... If he can produce a run in the future like Niemi did..... :) :)

TL1961

Liked Posts:
He starts off slowly, but he can really .....No, don't say it!