Bleacher ranks Hicks as best 3-4 DE in NFL

Sammich

Liked Posts:
Idk, I think Mack is a little overrated. Too 5? Sure. Donald, Watt (when healthy), and Miller are probably the three best imo.

Definitely all good choice, but you say Mack is overrated?!?! Come on! The guy is a beast. Even on the NFL Networks Top 100 players of 2017 as voted by the NFL players themselves, Khalil Mack was number 5 best player in the league, ahead of Leveon Bell, Aaron Rodgers, Gronk, OBJ, just to name a few.... (Aaron Donald came in at number 15).

Washington

Liked Posts:
Hicks is the best move by Pace to date. The dude is a beast and a bargain.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Seems like Fangio took another unnamed shot at Fuller when asked about his defense. Said that some of his so called best players could stand to play better. So either that was aimed at Hicks, Fuller or Floyd.

[video=youtube;5DZZF2C5f5M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DZZF2C5f5M[/video]
Hmmmm, I didn’t take that as so much of a dog as you described. It sounded a little like he was saying his best players haven’t peaked yet, they can be even better. That said, if I had to guess, I’d say that it was direct to Floyd more so than anyone else. He hasn’t been much of a big play guy, and he certainly hasn’t been consistent.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Definitely all good choice, but you say Mack is overrated?!?! Come on! The guy is a beast. Even on the NFL Networks Top 100 players of 2017 as voted by the NFL players themselves, Khalil Mack was number 5 best player in the league, ahead of Leveon Bell, Aaron Rodgers, Gronk, OBJ, just to name a few.... (Aaron Donald came in at number 15).

I said a little overrated, and I did say top 5 (spelling error).

What I’m saying is that there’s a substantial gap from those 3 players I mention and the rest.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I know, just putting on my best DezBears face and starting drama.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Definitely gotta love the Hicks signing. Dude has beasted out for us.

I think this defense is going to be even better next year. We aren't really losing any pieces if we keep Fuller and McKnee, who I am not sure we even really want to keep.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I don't think he was taking a shot at anyone. He was just keeping it real. If the D was really great, we'd have a better record.

Defense alone doesn't win you games unless they're pitching shutouts or scoring more points than the opposing offense...This was also the only top 10 defense that lost the time of possession battle. I don't think you understand how good they were already.

Sammich

Liked Posts:
I said a little overrated, and I did say top 5 (spelling error).

What I’m saying is that there’s a substantial gap from those 3 players I mention and the rest.

Well thats interesting... if you say theres a gap, then you think Miller, Donald and Watt (the 3 you mentioned) are the 3 best, and there is a gap until Mack comes into play... the NFL players themselves rank Miller and Mack as the top 2 defensive players in the league. I would say the players opinions have a stronghold.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Well thats interesting... if you say theres a gap, then you think Miller, Donald and Watt (the 3 you mentioned) are the 3 best, and there is a gap until Mack comes into play... the NFL players themselves rank Miller and Mack as the top 2 defensive players in the league. I would say the players opinions have a stronghold.

Or its more of a popularity contest perhaps. There is something to be said about production over the course of a career versus short term success.

Sammich

Liked Posts:
Or its more of a popularity contest perhaps. There is something to be said about production over the course of a career versus short term success.

Aaron Donald and Khalil Mack started playing in the NFL in the exact same year. And have both had solid production in those 4 years. I do not see how he can say there is a gap between Donald and Mack.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm just making a suggestion about player rankings not specifically about those players. BTW I don't think people are factoring in defensive scheme or position being played. Ends and linebackers are by virtue the players that are expected to get the most pressure. Defensive tackles getting the sort of pressure Donald gets is a whole different world altogether.

Sammich

Liked Posts:
I'm just making a suggestion about player rankings not specifically about those players. BTW I don't think people are factoring in defensive scheme or position being played. Ends and linebackers are by virtue the players that are expected to get the most pressure. Defensive tackles getting the sort of pressure Donald gets is a whole different world altogether.

Agreed

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers

For future reference, the nfl network top 100 holds as much weight as sports mockery in an argument.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:

Yeah, I gave you my opinion. Also, I think the NFL players are on crack if they don’t think a healthy JJ Watt isn’t the most dominant defensive player in the league. Almost no contest.

Plus your list you referenced is probably a popularity contest. And it was probably based on one season. And took injuries into account. But whatever.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Agreed. Any argument saying Mack is better than Aaron Rodgers is laughable.

Or having Adrian Peterson on the list when he gained 72 yards all season over Rodgers.. Players even said they never did shit with it. NFLN Probably pays a grand to a couple practice squad players to fill it out each year.

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
I'll never forget this gem from Hub: "Both are significantly undersized, even as three-techniques, and neither consistently dominated at the college level. The best you're going to get with either is an overachiever who makes the occasional play but can be double-teamed and erased whenever an offense chooses to attack them. Jernigan at least has more natural strength, but neither is strong enough to handle big time NFL guards. Donald's strengths are talents that won't help him in the NFL. I don't care if a defensive tackle runs a sub-4.7 40-yard dash, make him a linebacker. And the 35 reps in the 225-pound bench press is very impressive in the weight room, but meaningless once a 320-pound guard or tackle gets his hands on him. I think both will end up as third tackles in some team's three-tackle rotation who make occasional plays in the backfield when allowed to shoot gaps, but will be liabilities against the run and incapable of playing in a two-gap scheme."
This scouting report is a joke. All you had to do was turn on the film to see Donald dominate every play. He was basically in the backfield before the lineman broke their stance.