BMarsh still a locker room cancer

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Lucky the Bears don't have all pro CB Richard Sherman anchoring a shutdown corner spot, this board full of Jay Cutler lovers would be livid!@!!!

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...rback-richard-sherman-let-go-problem-nfl-2017
Richard Sherman wanted to send a message to Russell Wilson. It was June 2014, and it'd been a testy day at Seahawks minicamp, with defensive players hitting the offense in a non-contact practice. On one play, Sherman had ripped off the helmet and jersey of receiver Phil Bates, igniting a brawl, the cornerback's dreadlocks flopping in the air. Both sides cleared. Pharrell Williams' "Happy" blasted from the loudspeakers. But the defense, a ruthless and crazy and awesome bunch that less than five months earlier had delivered the franchise its first Super Bowl victory was just getting started.

Sherman is famous for loving practice, for treating it like a game, for rarely missing it even when injured. For him, it's where a mystical bond is forged and a win on Sunday becomes an almost accidental byproduct. And so, a few plays later, when Sherman picked off Wilson, it wasn't enough just to make a great play. He wanted to get inside Wilson's head, to remind the young Pro Bowler that despite his Super Bowl fame -- and endorsements that many on the defense felt they deserved -- Sherman still owned his ass.

"You f---ing suck!"
Sherman, to quarterback Russell Wilson after intercepting him in practice in June 2014
According to witnesses, Sherman threw the ball back to Wilson and yelled, "You f---ing suck!" Another fight broke out. Sherman was cussing and yelling; Wilson seemed stunned. Pete Carroll stopped practice and would later hold a series of meetings to remind the players they needed to build each other up, not tear each other down -- and that they needed to support their quarterback, further pissing off a defense that already thought the head coach went out of his way to protect him.

Found this the most interesting. Good read and pretty much is the norm IMO. Teams routinely have assholes or whiny bitches. None of that shit matters when you win but when you lose, suddenly the asshole you are happy to put up with becomes annoying. Doesn't make him a team cancer. Just makes him an asshole that is now playing on a losing team. I would also argue that some teams thrive on this shit because fundamentally a lot of players need adversity or drama to fuel them. Responding with ruthlessness to any perceived slight or drama is just how some guys are hardwired.

Free agents who sign with the Seahawks are always shocked at how savage the locker room can be, a violence at odds with Carroll's laid-back persona. There was a fistfight between Seahawks receivers the night before they beat Denver in the Super Bowl, and nobody was punished. In fact, many considered it a sign of unity that news of the fight didn't immediately get out. No matter what, by kickoff, Sherman would stand in the middle of a circle, brothers in arms, and yell, "We're all we got!" To which his teammates would reply, "We're all we need!"

Jailbreak

Block someone
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
and btw, am sure most of you newbs have watched Jordan play during his prime. Ever read the book, Jordan Rules? That guy was a horrible teammate, far worse than Marshall. But he WON....so he gets a pass....that's the only difference.

LOL

He was hard on his teammates, but please don't compare MJ and BM. Jordan was trying to make his team better on the practice floor. This shouldn't even be a conversation. Michael pushed himself as much as his teammates. Marshall and Bennett go to a different place.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Found this the most interesting. Good read and pretty much is the norm IMO. Teams routinely have assholes or whiny bitches. None of that shit matters when you win but when you lose, suddenly the asshole you are happy to put up with becomes annoying. Doesn't make him a team cancer. Just makes him an asshole that is now playing on a losing team. I would also argue that some teams thrive on this shit because fundamentally a lot of players need adversity or drama to fuel them. Responding with ruthlessness to any perceived slight or drama is just how some guys are hardwired.

Free agents who sign with the Seahawks are always shocked at how savage the locker room can be, a violence at odds with Carroll's laid-back persona. There was a fistfight between Seahawks receivers the night before they beat Denver in the Super Bowl, and nobody was punished. In fact, many considered it a sign of unity that news of the fight didn't immediately get out. No matter what, by kickoff, Sherman would stand in the middle of a circle, brothers in arms, and yell, "We're all we got!" To which his teammates would reply, "We're all we need!"

It's kinda like when people post on a message board all day but have an entire company that is relying on you to do a good job while you are on their time because the quality of your work directly affects all the people around you. If you can still do a good job, no one will care that you argue for days on end about meaningless stuff. But the second you start sucking at your job and they then check your internet history and find what kind of person you really are, you then find yourself working at a toll booth in West Virginia.

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
It's kinda like when people post on a message board all day but have an entire company that is relying on you to do a good job while you are on their time because the quality of your work directly affects all the people around you. If you can still do a good job, no one will care that you argue for days on end about meaningless stuff. But the second you start sucking at your job and they then check your internet history and find what kind of person you really are, you then find yourself working at a toll booth in West Virginia.

Sounds like you're speaking from personal experience here

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
and btw, am sure most of you newbs have watched Jordan play during his prime. Ever read the book, Jordan Rules? That guy was a horrible teammate, far worse than Marshall. But he WON....so he gets a pass....that's the only difference.

LOL

Only difference? It's the only one that matters at the pro level.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
Teams can't get rid of Marshall-one of the best receiver of this generation -fast enough. That's really all you need to know. Unless you can tell me a different reason FOUR teams have gotten rid of him despite his dominant on field ability? Marshall is an unstable, probably mentally ill person. The proof is right there. Teams don't try to get rid of elite players for no reason. This isn't complicated, and none of you know a sliver of what actually goes on in NFL locker rooms.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Not sure your point. Doesn't make said person a cancer. Just means when shit hits the fan they have a ready made scapegoat to blame failure on.

Like you post during work hours as well. If they ever needed to fire you they could do so based on your internet history as well. Nature of the beast bro. You do a good job and your faults are overlooked.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Like many Cancers, he's been repeatedly removed.

Calabis

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
and your idol Jay Cutler stuck with one team for close to 10 seasons. Your point again is what??

on a side note, Deion Sanders (HOF corner) played for Atlanta, SF, Dallas and Washington) LOL @ YOU

You sir are posting too many facts and destroying the ops bs post....you'll be ignored, because there are no comebacks to what you have been posting.

Last edited:

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Stop.

No.

You're making things up.

You're assigning your definition to something. Shaq was a "team cancer" his last season or two in LA they won a title and made it to the NBA Finals.

On top of this Marshall could have been a cancer that prevented the Jets from winning games. Who's to say the Jets weren't a 12 win team last year if things were harmonious?

Who knows?!

Stop white knighting for Marshall. He's a headcase and a cancer/distraction.

Whatever.

I hate in general the name calling when it refers to a person as a cancer. I hate cancer and what it does to a person and their families and friends. Its like the bullshit in politics when some idiot feels free to call a president a Hitler because they do not like his party or his politics.

Back to football, Brandan Marshall was the best receiver that the BEars have had in my lifetime. My memories of him were of him busting his ass all over the field. He took young receivers under his wing and tried to make them better(as in Alshon Jeffrey). And I have a lot of respect for the guy for how he dealt with his anxiety and personality disorders. Even to the point of establishing endowments to help treat these disorders.

Yeah the guy was no saint but to my mind, there are many worse cases of professional athletes or other media-centric personalities who are worse cases than Brandon Marshall. I think that the guys pluses are many more than his minuses.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The records have been worst, but were we really better off with those players? I mean we were not making the playoffs with BMarsh/Forte/AJ/Cutler/Bennett, and we are not making the playoffs without them (as of yet). So were we really better off?

I don't think of Marshall as a cancer, as much of a loser. He has lost everywhere he has gone Denver/Miami/Chicago/NY Jets, and best bet is he will keep losing.

Forte and Marshall were both pro bowl players on a lousily coached and managed team. Both went to lousily coached and managed teams when they left the Bears. That is not on them. It is on the teams that they were on. Ernie Banks was one of the truly great baseball players of his era. The Cubs were shit when he was there. Yet no one called him a loser. Ted Williams was the best hitter that I ever saw. And a lot of people hated him as a person. Yet no one ever called him a loser or the reason why the Red Sox never won a championship. People also called Bennett a loser when he player for the Bears. Then he goes to the Patriots and they win a super-bowl to a good extent helped by him. So, did that make him suddenly a winner?

Teams are full of players who never won a title. But that does not mean that those players weren't very good or winners. I think that people throw winners and losers titles around because they are frustrated with their teams especially shitty teams like the Bears have been. Now we see Long being targeted because he had the audacity to get hurt and likes to tweet a lot. So now he is a loser to some. It s fucking nuts what some people say in the depths of their frustration.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
No, you don't get it, and you are most definitely applying your own definition to the term "team cancer". Show me any evidence that says the term "team cancer" is directly related to winning? You simply can't. In fact, teams signed BM to help them win games...period.

This is where you get in your own way with this debate. The term "team cancer" can most certainly apply to the teams philosophy, or better yet, the teams culture. This is where the team improves by parting ways with BM.

The teams decide that his off field stuff are not worth his on field winning abilities. Teams likely are willing to get less talented at the WR position just to improve the culture. This is where it is ridiculous to label the term "team cancer" directly to winning games.

Sometimes, the proof is in the pudding. Denver, Miami, Chicago, the Jets, and soon to be the Giants, ALL have willingly decided to let BM go despite his on field production, pro bowls, and yards/TD's.

Perhaps if you were not so condescending, and had a little empathy for other's point of view in this debate, you'd realize that your continual nearsightedness, and prolonging of this debate, is the epitome of why the OP posted this thread.

Lastly, if White had stayed healthy and produced the way he should have, Pace would have virtually replaced BM's production anyway, and we likely would not even be talking about BM anymore. But hey, I guess you can still slam Pace for not predicting the future.

Ah, there is that word "IF" again. Pace did a stupid thing when he gave Marshall away for nothing. As for White staying healthy, that is a huge assumption that a one year receiver out of West Virginia would even come close to the production of a many time pro bowl receiver. Pace created holes in this team, particularly on offense that he still cannot fill with anywhere the same talent. Three years into this "rebuilding" and there is still not a quality receiver on the entire team. And in three years we still do not have a viable quarterback better than Jay Fucking Cutler. Yeah, this Pace guy is sure a whiz kid,hu h?

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It's the NFL. Mostly black sport. Lot of these guys grew up in the projects and this is what goes down.

Bears need more guys that hate to lose and hold each other accountable over the just playing for a pay check, awww shucks attitude sorta guys like Jay Cutler giving his usual post game loss speeches. Oh golly gee, we lost again but man our locker room is full of angels and we all get along!!!

Yep. Thats the Bears way. VIrginia has to have her choir boys all dressed up pretty for the game.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It's the NFL. Mostly black sport. Lot of these guys grew up in the projects and this is what goes down.
Wow just wow. There is no excuse for being a bad teammate or person.

Exactly what is a bad teammate? IS it a guy who wants to fight you in a scrimmage. Is it a guy who yells at you if you don't hustle? Is it a guy who doesn't join you prayer meeting before or after the game? I think not. I think a bad teammate is a loser who doesn't bust his ass, doesn't play when he has an owie, takes plays or even games off, etc. Those are the bad teammates. The are bad people all over football. Guys who you do not want to have as friends but can also be guys who you want next to you in a fight or to play with against an opposing team.