Bobbie Massie is gone per Rapoport

Montucky

Liked Posts:
True. Teams do this all the time. I meant more so that they stand to gain nothing from a straight cut right now. Waiting, even with the post-June 1st designation, would give them more time to figure out other solutions at the position, get clarity on the QB, etc. Massie was never coming back, Leno still could be.
Yeah I get what you're saying. I was just so personally offended by Charles Leno Jr.'s awful play these last two years that I would be unwilling to even entertain the notion of bringing him back another season, the fact that it saves money against the cap is just the cherry on top.

But it would really hurt the Bears draft strategy and ability to leverage trades if they jettison the only viable (I use the word viable very loosely) offensive tackle the Bears have rostered.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Yeah I get what you're saying. I was just so personally offended by Charles Leno Jr.'s awful play these last two years that I would be unwilling to even entertain the notion of bringing him back another season, the fact that it saves money against the cap is just the cherry on top.

But it would really hurt the Bears draft strategy and ability to leverage trades if they jettison the only viable (I use the word viable very loosely) offensive tackle the Bears have rostered.
If it helps you sleep at night, the Bears have talked to at least two or three projected left tackles so far for the upcoming draft.

I think one or two of them come from small schools so I think the Bears are already thinking ahead that they may not be able to grab a left tackle with the first round pick.

Brownie

Liked Posts:
Honestly, the most no-brainer move of this entire offseason. Ifedi can be brought back for cheaper, or just start bars, or just draft a guy in the 1/2/3rd round.

Massie has been very meh the last couple years, very replaceable.

I don't expect leno gone however.

Unfortunately I think you're right. Its clear that they a) don't want to pay big money for a FA LT and b) happen to love good old Charlie.

He's hung on so long for the same reason as Pace and Nagy at this point: He's just a GOOD guy and we like the chemistry he brings inside the building.

This organization doesn't give a shit about performance. Unless its at QB apparently.

LiverpoolBearsFAn

Liked Posts:
What are the salary cap ramifications if we melt Charles Leno down for glue?

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
The tackle pool of FAs looks pretty light. There are some names like Trent Williams, Alejandro Villanueva, and Russell Okung who are all going to be 33+ years old. Other options are Daryl Williams (29), Cam Robinson (26), but overall there aren't too many names to get excited about.

Might this actually be a lucrative move for Massie? He was going to pocket $8M if he stuck with the Bears. Might he actually get more $ in FA? That would just feel weird.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
The tackle pool of FAs looks pretty light. There are some names like Trent Williams, Alejandro Villanueva, and Russell Okung who are all going to be 33+ years old. Other options are Daryl Williams (29), Cam Robinson (26), but overall there aren't too many names to get excited about.

Might this actually be a lucrative move for Massie? He was going to pocket $8M if he stuck with the Bears. Might he actually get more $ in FA? That would just feel weird.
There's more than a dozen guys who are leaps and bounds more coveted than Massie. Massie isn't even the most valuable offensive tackle the Bears have going into free agency, Germain Ifedi will certainly get way more interest. Of guys from other teams I'd certainly rather have someone like Cameron Fleming, Ricky Wagner, Cedric Ogbuehi, Kelvin Beachum or Daryl Williams than Bobbie Massie.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
There's more than a dozen guys who are leaps and bounds more coveted than Massie. Massie isn't even the most valuable offensive tackle the Bears have going into free agency, Germain Ifedi will certainly get way more interest. Of guys from other teams I'd certainly rather have someone like Cameron Fleming, Ricky Wagner, Cedric Ogbuehi, Kelvin Beachum or Daryl Williams than Bobbie Massie.
I think you missed the point. I was just saying the market is light for tackles and inferring there's a chance he can end up making more when signed by a different team.

To be clear I wasn't saying he's a top guy or the Bears should keep him.

I'm thinking Bears fans should want him to sign for as much money as humanly possible. That means less cap space for some other team to compete against for FAs you actually want.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
I think you missed the point. I was just saying the market is light for tackles and inferring there's a chance he can end up making more when signed by a different team.

To be clear I wasn't saying he's a top guy or the Bears should keep him.

I'm thinking Bears fans should want him to sign for as much money as humanly possible. That means less cap space for some other team to compete against for FAs you actually want.
I just don't think he's a factor at all and probably has played his last snap in the league.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
If it helps you sleep at night, the Bears have talked to at least two or three projected left tackles so far for the upcoming draft.

I think one or two of them come from small schools so I think the Bears are already thinking ahead that they may not be able to grab a left tackle with the first round pick.
Do you know which two or three they talked with?

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I forgot initially so I looked them up.

Robert Jones and Dillon Radunz
Radunz had a great Senior Bowl and has been rising quickly, likely a top 50 pick. I've never heard of Robert Jones.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
I agree with those saying not to count on them cutting Graham. He actually played well last year doing the thing he still does very well-red zone target. He was never brought in to be an inline blocker.

Perhaps his help with bringing along Kmet shouldn’t be ignored. I hope he’s back.

Britbuffguy

Liked Posts:
Honestly, the most no-brainer move of this entire offseason. Ifedi can be brought back for cheaper, or just start bars, or just draft a guy in the 1/2/3rd round.

Massie has been very meh the last couple years, very replaceable.

I don't expect leno gone however.
Not to mention hurt a lot.

Britbuffguy

Liked Posts:
I agree with those saying not to count on them cutting Graham. He actually played well last year doing the thing he still does very well-red zone target. He was never brought in to be an inline blocker.

Perhaps his help with bringing along Kmet shouldn’t be ignored. I hope he’s back.
If he goes, it's not cause of his play, just being a cap casualty. I wanna say I read they same $8 million by letting him go.