Bosa

Burrberry

Liked Posts:
They want him to take the worst deal ever for a 3rd overall pick since the new CBA has been established. Why should he get offset language if he busts? Point now is that he worked in College to be worthy of a #3 overall. Why is he the bad guy and not the team worth 1.1 billion dollars that's going against the norm for a Top 3 pick? I'd tell the Chargers to fuck off too. I don't believe this is the first time it's happened with their draft picks either. That's why Eli GTFO before everything even started. They are clearly operating on a different wave length than the rest of the league.

To top it off they start negotiating in the media which just screams scumbag tactics.

Burrberry

Liked Posts:
Isn't there like a limit a rookie can get in his first deal? I thought they put something like that in place to avoid crap like this??

It's about offset language

IE;

Bosa sucks massive ass as a player and gets cut by Chargers in his third year. He's owed 4 million from the contract guaranteed. The Bears then sign Bosa for 2 million. Offset language is the difference between Bosa getting 4 million and without it the difference between getting 6 million.

Bosa was willing to accept that demand, but wanted all of his signing bonus up front. The Chargers play hardball with rookies every year.

It bewilders me that anyone(Not you) could consider Bosa the bad guy, especially since the Chargers have now begun negotiating through the media. It's well known that Dean Spanos is a miser.

TreedBear

Liked Posts:
I'm on Bosa's side in all this. There's no reason to spread out his money. The Chargers delayed conversations and Bosa didn't flinch. Both parties are at fault, but the Chargers look worse to future signees.

A ten year CBA in a league where the average career lasts less than four years doesn't represent the players or their sham union. The NFLPA should look at this situation very closely. They have defended cheaters, criminals, child beaters and rapists. Time to look out for this kid.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
This is easily the best story line in the league right now.

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I'm on Bosa's side in all this. There's no reason to spread out his money. The Chargers delayed conversations and Bosa didn't flinch. Both parties are at fault, but the Chargers look worse to future signees.

A ten year CBA in a league where the average career lasts less than four years doesn't represent the players or their sham union. The NFLPA should look at this situation very closely. They have defended cheaters, criminals, child beaters and rapists. Time to look out for this kid.

The Chargers offered him a larger signing bonus than any player has recieved in the last 2 drafts.

Bosa wants the option to double dip if he busts out and the chargers want to release him.

Bosa basically is declining a deal that for all intents and purposes only matters if he absolutely sucks ass.
I am on the teams side on this- if he is that concerned he will not work out, then fuck him.

Burrberry

Liked Posts:
The Chargers offered him a larger signing bonus than any player has recieved in the last 2 drafts.

Bosa wants the option to double dip if he busts out and the chargers want to release him.

Bosa basically is declining a deal that for all intents and purposes only matters if he absolutely sucks ass.
I am on the teams side on this- if he is that concerned he will not work out, then fuck him.

It's misleading. Since Bosa's contract will kick in later on than other rookies(Namely Goff and Wentz)

The Chargers said "largest initial payment" not "largest signing bonus," which is a significant difference.

The ones that got signed earlier got a smaller initial payment because the bonus was paid out over more installments. Because things are so late in the year with Bosa, they'd be paying out his bonus in fewer installments, making each payment larger than they'd have been if they started paying out earlier.

For example: A $15M bonus paid out in 3 installments would be $5M each. While a $12M bonus paid in two would be $6M each. The second bonus would have a higher initial payment, but a lower overall bonus.

The Chargers were using hyper-specific language in their bullet points for a reason, which is they wanted to twist the situation in their favor as much as possible.

Point by point overview of why the Chargers are being misleading

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ferral-issue-but-not-enough-for-the-chargers/

TreedBear

Liked Posts:

I don't know. Bosa from the beginning has said he wants either no offsets or full payment of guaranteed money up front. The Chargers insisted on both which is unusual. The money is guaranteed either way so that's why both look stupid, but the Chargers look like amateurs. Offset language is stupid for a 3rd overall pick.

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
It's misleading. Since Bosa's contract will kick in later on than other rookies.

The Chargers said "largest initial payment" not "largest signing bonus," which is a significant difference.

The ones that got signed earlier got a smaller initial payment because the bonus was paid out over more installments. Because things are so late in the year with Bosa, they'd be paying out his bonus in fewer installments, making each payment larger than they'd have been if they started paying out earlier.

For example: A $15M bonus paid out in 3 installments would be $5M each. While a $12M bonus paid in two would be $6M each. The second bonus would have a higher initial payment, but a lower overall bonus.

The Chargers were using hyper-specific language in their bullet points for a reason, which is they wanted to twist the situation in their favor as much as possible.

Fair enough- but I am still of the opinion that the money will be there from the chargers or any team out there if he achieves expectations.

No skin off my nose if he takes it or not- he can sit out and re enter the draft and make a mountain less of cash.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

They want to only pay 85% of the signing bonus in the first year which is different than just about every other rookie contract in the NFL as a signing bonus as the name suggests is a bonus for signing. They are typically all paid in the first year.

The issue here is simple. Other players have agreed to offset language but they get 100% of their signing bonus in the first year.

The Chargers want Bosa to not only agree to offset language but they also want him to agree on only 85% of his signing bonus in the first year.

So this is an issue that is unique to the Chargers as they are the only team I am aware of that wants players to not only agree to offset language but to also to accept less than 100% of the signing bonus in the first year. Bosa is saying he will accept one or the other but not both. That is a fair position IMO.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
They want to only pay 85% of the signing bonus in the first year which is different than just about every other rookie contract in the NFL as a signing bonus as the name suggests is a bonus for signing. They are typically all paid in the first year.

The issue here is simple. Other players have agreed to offset language but they get 100% of their signing bonus in the first year.

The Chargers want Bosa to not only agree to offset language but they also want him to agree on only 85% of his signing bonus in the first year.

So this is an issue that is unique to the Chargers as they are the only team I am aware of that wants players to not only agree to offset language but to also to accept less than 100% of the signing bonus in the first year. Bosa is saying he will accept one or the other but not both. That is a fair position IMO.

.....?

"Lot of half-truths and misinformation floating around this thread. It must be CCS.

It was already obvious many months ago that the Chargers were being a pain in the ass about this contract, but at this point, it's also fairly obvious that Bosa's camp is also being a total ass about it.

If the details that were released of the Chargers last offer were accurate, and so far I've seen nothing to suggest that they weren't, then Bosa and his agent really screwed up not taking it.

85% of the Signing Bonus now with 15% deferred until next March 15th would be highly in line with what goes on around the league for just about every other team, as well as being in line (albeit at a higher percentage) with what the Chargers. That would include both the #2 and #4 picks from this years draft. Both of which have offset language and deferred signing bonus money.
Bosa's not getting a better offer than this one. So it's either wait till next year, which would be insane, or accept it and move on.

As for him coming to the Bears, please no."

Last edited:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

I said as far as I am aware because I didn't research the issue in detail but was going off what I recalled from earlier articles. Per the below, it does happen but more often than not, the top picks either have offset language or deferred signing bonus but not both.

http://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/201...to-hoyle?_ga=1.153586555.298231383.1471399556

Fact: Since the slotting system went into effect in 2012 (five drafts), every third overall pick has signed a contract in which either the offset was removed or their signing bonus was paid in full by the end of their rookie season, as Bosa is requesting.

Fact: 16 of the 20 top five picks from 2012-2015 either received their bonus by the end of their rookie season or had the offset language removed from their deal.

Fact: Three of the top five picks, and five of the top seven picks to have signed this year, either have no offset language or will receive their bonus before the end of the 2016 season.

Fact: Both Jared Goff and Jalen Ramsey signed deals which guaranteed them their signing bonus before the end of the 2016 season AND removed the offset language.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
This is just double-dumb.

Almost each NFL team has some weird provision that they include in their contracts where other teams omit. For the Chargers it's when they are paying out the guaranteed money and some of the offset language. They did this to Philip Rivers, Shawne Merriman and LT. In this specific situation I think it's stupid for the Chargers to risk not getting anything for the 3rd overall pick or risking his development just because they have created some internal policy and refuse to budge.

I completely agree with Bosa in that he should be allowed to negotiate a deal within the framework provided by the CBA. After all this might be the only NFL contract he gets, so he should be allowed to ask for as much as he can. Where he (or more importantly his agent) are off base is that they know San Diego has this weird hangup. If anything they should have been asking for a little more in a different area of the deal as opposed to going right at this item that's a known issue.

I'd add that I think the Bosa camp is somewhat timing up their negotiations with the fact that the Chargers need the people of San Diego to have at least 2/3 of voters approve their potential stadium build, so they are operating under a social microscope. I know first hand that many people of San Diego are thinking if the Chargers can't even sign their first round pick like the other teams then why should they give them $500M+ of public funding?

Anyway, the Chargers are a dumpster fire.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Too funny. I don't post here in months, hop in and write something only to have Bosa and the Chargers agree on a deal minutes later.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
And no shock the Chargers and Bosa agreed to one of deferred SB or offset language but not both.

Actually, wouldn't it be kind of shocking since it's outside the norm?!

LOL you suck.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Actually, wouldn't it be kind of shocking since it's outside the norm?!

LOL you suck.

No the norm is for you to agree to one or the other not both. So no shock the Chargers ended up caving and Bosa got what most top picks get. One or the other not both.