Brad Kaaya is diet Matt Barkley

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So I watched every snap Brad Kaaya took vs. App State, Georgia Tech, ND, and Pitt.

Pros

- Kaaya is incredibly accurate. He puts the ball right where it needs to be. It's pretty impressive.

- Kaaya has such great touch on the ball, especially on his deep balls, that it looks as if Jesus Christ comes down from the heavens and places the ball in his receivers hands.

- Kaaya has good vision when he's looking downfield. He can identify the open man.

- Kaaya excels in the short passes and the 30+ deep routes.

Cons

- Arm Strength. It's not that Kaaya has a noodle arm. The problem is that he thinks his arm is stronger than it really is.

-Intermediate passing. This is a big concern, as he has the accuracy to throw it in the tightest of windows, but his ball floats up long enough for the cornerback to recover and defend the pass or intercept it. 10 to 20 yard passes make you hold your breath.

- Pressure. This is Kaayas fatal flaw. When I read other guys on this board talking about his "mobility" I thought they meant that he could not extend plays or run for first downs. This is not the case, it's much worse than that. When he feels any kind of pressure at all, he immediately throws the ball away. I mean, he looks like he's chucking a grenade away that's about to explode. Also, if he's so much as touched, he goes down like a sack of potatoes.

Conclusion

The coaching staff obviously knows what an issue Brad Kaaya has with pressure, and they have the offense designed where about 50% of his throws are dump offs and screens as soon as the ball is snapped. He looks very similar to Matt Barkley, although Barkley was the better prospect. I don't believe Kaaya will be drafted before the 4th round. Let me know what QB I should check out next.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
So his one of his Pros is that he can throw 30+ deep routes, but his con is his arm strength?

Do Patrick Mahomes next. Some people are high on him and some people think he isn't an NFL talent because of the offense he is coming from.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't really think much of Kaaya......I am not going into a diatribe of advanced metrics, but he just looks really uncomfortable as a passer quite a bit...his throw looks just awkward to me.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So his one of his Pros is that he can throw 30+ deep routes, but his con is his arm strength?

Do Patrick Mahomes next. Some people are high on him and some people think he isn't an NFL talent because of the offense he is coming from.

Yes, he has a beautiful deep ball. But it has nothing to do with arm strength. It's like a rainbow. He takes just enough off the ball to where it looks like the ball drops straight down from the sky.

Mahomes it is. I will try to have a write up on him tonight.

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Adi i would have looked at the FSU and NC games.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
So many questions concerning EVERY QB in this draft. Is it worth taking anyone of these at #3 or trade for McCarron at a much cheaper price? Then use the #3 on defense.

I'll go with a trade for McCarron and use that high draft pick on a beast for the defense.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
I think you should go back and watch the way his oline was man handled... The pressure came from every angle and it would involve mass gangbang almost all the time. No one could sustain a block on that oline to ever allow him extend a play(not that he physically can outside the pocket)... Then ask yourself after you lost your tooth in a football game if you should take the sack as easy as it came or throw it away.

Calabis

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Relevant quote: "A source in the Miami Hurricanes' coaching staff tipped me off to an interesting nugget: The Chicago Bears have been at the last two games and are asking about quarterback Brad Kaaya. A person close to Kaaya confirmed the news when asked and said he's already spoken with general manager Ryan Pace about the quarterback."

Burrberry

Liked Posts:
I think you should go back and watch the way his oline was man handled... The pressure came from every angle and it would involve mass gangbang almost all the time. No one could sustain a block on that oline to ever allow him extend a play(not that he physically can outside the pocket)... Then ask yourself after you lost your tooth in a football game if you should take the sack as easy as it came or throw it away.

His line wasn't that good no doubt, but at the same token it did highlight thing's that he's either not doing, doesn't know how to do, or can't do in terms of maneuvering the pocket.

That said I don't know if I agree with the Barkley comp. At the same level Kaaya's shown that he won't turn the ball over as much. I think he could be a better game manager as a pro than Barkley

Ej63090

Anti-Exultant Cruise Dire
Liked Posts:
Fucking loved your evaluation. Chucking grenades and throwing rainbows. Guy sounds like a badass.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
His line wasn't that good no doubt, but at the same token it did highlight thing's that he's either not doing, doesn't know how to do, or can't do in terms of maneuvering the pocket.

That said I don't know if I agree with the Barkley comp. At the same level Kaaya's shown that he won't turn the ball over as much. I think he could be a better game manager as a pro than Barkley

It's a good thing to know in terms of what you're getting with him that's for sure I'm not saying he isn't flawed I just found his line to be quite attrious at times quite sickening to watch, I'm a UM fan I live in Miami but ive been a bears fan for most of my life.i just watched a college highlight of Matt Barkley and the guy has pretty bad velocity on the ball and a slow deep ball. I don't see the same kind of passes from kaaya they're different QBs and I think kaaya has a bigger ceiling.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
So many questions concerning EVERY QB in this draft. Is it worth taking anyone of these at #3 or trade for McCarron at a much cheaper price? Then use the #3 on defense.

I'll go with a trade for McCarron and use that high draft pick on a beast for the defense.

Do you think McCarron has enough talent to take a team to a super bowl or is he another A.Dalton that will take a team to the playoffs and that's about it??

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
So I watched every snap Brad Kaaya took vs. App State, Georgia Tech, ND, and Pitt.

Pros

- Kaaya is incredibly accurate. He puts the ball right where it needs to be. It's pretty impressive.

- Kaaya has such great touch on the ball, especially on his deep balls, that it looks as if Jesus Christ comes down from the heavens and places the ball in his receivers hands.

- Kaaya has good vision when he's looking downfield. He can identify the open man.

- Kaaya excels in the short passes and the 30+ deep routes.

Cons

- Arm Strength. It's not that Kaaya has a noodle arm. The problem is that he thinks his arm is stronger than it really is.

-Intermediate passing. This is a big concern, as he has the accuracy to throw it in the tightest of windows, but his ball floats up long enough for the cornerback to recover and defend the pass or intercept it. 10 to 20 yard passes make you hold your breath.

- Pressure. This is Kaayas fatal flaw. When I read other guys on this board talking about his "mobility" I thought they meant that he could not extend plays or run for first downs. This is not the case, it's much worse than that. When he feels any kind of pressure at all, he immediately throws the ball away. I mean, he looks like he's chucking a grenade away that's about to explode. Also, if he's so much as touched, he goes down like a sack of potatoes.

Conclusion

The coaching staff obviously knows what an issue Brad Kaaya has with pressure, and they have the offense designed where about 50% of his throws are dump offs and screens as soon as the ball is snapped. He looks very similar to Matt Barkley, although Barkley was the better prospect. I don't believe Kaaya will be drafted before the 4th round. Let me know what QB I should check out next.

I don't understand how someone can float a ball between 10-20 yards long...

Reactions: 1ke

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Ya don't need a strong arm today if ya go with a short passing game. Look at Bradford in Minn.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

You are to McCarron what Spartan is to Jimmy. More interested in #calledit than the Bears finding the right QB of the future.