Brad Miller is the MVP of this series

wjb1492

Liked Posts:
dougthonus wrote:
Your bottom line explanation is why I think the +/- stat isn't that useful, because it doesn't give you any type of context. Kirk was a good player on teams through 04/05-06/07 in good teams and had pretty poor +/-s for 2 of those 3 years. The +/- as you identified was reflective of the unit he played with and the strength of our bench more so than his own ability.

However, knowing why the number was lower than you would expect, what does the number really support. All it does is make you seek out reasons as to why it doesn't match your visual interpretation of the game.

If I gave you both net and raw +/-s of every player in the league for the last five years, what would you get out of it? Could really tell me you'd discern anything useful at all out of it without seeing them first? Would you tell me you'd want the the five highest guys in raw +/- to be your starters? Would you tell me you'd want the five highest guys in net +/-?

I just don't think I would feel confident (without looking first) in saying anything about +/- leaderboard or lower board or feel confident making any statement whatsoever about that group of players.

No, I completely agree with you there. I think I'm being way too vague, because I've kind of lumped +/- in with all team oriented stats. I absolutely agree that raw +/- is one of the most limited stats out there for basketball analysis. Probably the two best things I can say for it is that it provides a starting point for the improved net/adjusted +/- stuff and that it can cause you to want to look more carefully at what's going on when a player's raw +/- seems completely out of whack (good or bad) with his individual play and the rest of the team's numbers.

But I like that last part, because it sometimes really makes me think about the little things going on. And sometimes the answer absolutely is luck - a guy was lucky enough to be out there for every little run, and you can't find a darn thing he's doing that's really fueling it, or maybe it's just that he replaced someone sucking the life out of the team and now the other 4 are playing great just by virtue of that player not sucking. And "not sucking" isn't an especially high compliment in my book. And sometimes a guy comes in on fire and there's a direct tie from personal stats to team +/-. And sometimes it really is the little things that +/- supposedly measures.

So yes, with any stat it's a huge issue when you have to explain what you see and then say it's reflected in a stat, rather than use the stat as shorthand. But I like that +/- makes me think about what went on in the game aside from the classical box score stuff. For me it's a lot like looking at the gameflows, just part of the post-game analysis.

All that said, it would be most excellent if people would stop throwing out raw +/- as "proof" that a guy played well or poorly, particularly when that +/- score is contrary to other statistical measures.