Braves considering Byrd?

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Braves were among a handful of teams pursuing the most-coveted hitter on the trade market, Houston Astros All-Star outfielder Hunter Pence, but he was traded to rival Philadelphia on Friday night for a package that included the Phillies’ top hitting prospect and top pitching prospect.

The Astros’ asked for two of the Braves’ “big four” pitching prospects, a group that includes Julio Teheran, Arodys Vizcaino, Randall Delgado and lefty Mike Minor. The Braves wouldn’t include Mike Minor in a deal for three-month rental Carlos Beltran last week, and refused to part with two of those arms in a deal for Pence.

The Braves also have had discussions with the Chicago White Sox about outfielder Carlos Quentin, whose 20 homers and 62 RBIs would be team-highs for Atlanta. But the Sox are in a tight race in the American League Central and might hang on to Quentin.

There are less-expensive corner-outfield options the Braves have considered, including San Diego’s Ryan Ludwick and Oakland’s Josh Willingham.

They’ve also discussed to varying degrees several center fielders including Astros standout Michael Bourn (though he bats left-handed), enigmatic Tampa Bay talent B.J. Upton and the Chicago Cubs’ Marlon Byrd.

Thougths? I'm for it, if the deal makes sense.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think Byrd is probably their Nth choice and so you're not going to snag that much back if they wouldn't pony up for Beltran.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well as much as I would love anyone of those four young arms, Marlon Byrd isn't going to net us one of them. I mean they weren't willing to give up Minor to get Beltran so I doubt they would do it for Byrd even if he is signed for a year longer. The deal could make sense with Campana maybe getting the time in center til Jackson is ready. Certainly would be moving towards a rebuild if they made that move.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I feel like there's no reason to call up Jackson now when the Cubs aren't contending and he needs regular playing time anyway. Unless you relegate Colvin to bench duty and move Byrd to RF, Jackson's going to be marginalized. Plus you don't want to start his service clock when there's no real point to do so. Just call him up in September and rest everyone else.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Do it just to call up BJax.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's Jackson's time.....

Has a funny way of showing it with a .229/.300/.429 line in the past 10 games and 13 Ks in 35 ABs during that stretch...

Look I am anxious to see Jackson too, but there is no point to rush him up here when he is just now having a full seasons worth of ABs at AA or higher and clearly looks like he is still adjusting to the higher level.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Get couple of arms for him and lets see campana everyday to see if he can get on base enough

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I feel like there's no reason to call up Jackson now when the Cubs aren't contending and he needs regular playing time anyway. Unless you relegate Colvin to bench duty and move Byrd to RF, Jackson's going to be marginalized. Plus you don't want to start his service clock when there's no real point to do so. Just call him up in September and rest everyone else.

Yup. Starting his clock is dumb when there is no need. Just wait another month.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yup. Starting his clock is dumb when there is no need. Just wait another month.

Since it is based on service time and we are all assuming he gets a job right out of the gate next year, I don't see how this is starting his clock any sooner. He won't get Super Two status if he plays from August 1st to the end of the year.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Apparently Gammons said on MLBN that the Braves really wanted Byrd but that the Cubs wouldn't even talk about it.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Since it is based on service time and we are all assuming he gets a job right out of the gate next year, I don't see how this is starting his clock any sooner. He won't get Super Two status if he plays from August 1st to the end of the year.

At this point with Byrd still here I think the priority is to see what Colvin can do. Call Brett up in September when it doesn't matter.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
At this point with Byrd still here I think the priority is to see what Colvin can do. Call Brett up in September when it doesn't matter.
I agree with the position, and is in fact what I have been arguing for. I just was question whether him being here in August versus September will really affect his arbitration status.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
It'll affect his playing time more if Colvin gets the bulk of it. Also want Brett in CF. Don't know if Quade is smart enough to move Byrd to RF.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
It'll affect his playing time more if Colvin gets the bulk of it. Also want Brett in CF. Don't know if Quade is smart enough to move Byrd to RF.

Again I want Colvin a chance in RF to see what he has. Jackson is struggling in AAA still, and could use time to work things out still. Hopefully the Cubs move another OF to clear a spot for him by September. Also I doubt Jackson gets played in right. Heard various reports that his arm isn't good enough to play right. Though Quade played Campana in right so never say never I guess.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would think Cubs would listen on Byrd to drop his 6.5 mil for next year. Im sorry but Byrd could be easy to replace

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
i dont think Bjax is ready at the moment..i'd wait until the end of this year or sometime next year imo...as dabs said he's having some trouble right now with AAA..hopefully he starts hitting it well soon

i do like byrd(although he does carry that 6.5 mil) and his all around ability and base hitting...although he is not a star player or anything..so he is expendale

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hendry making everyone untouchable. So he wont be gone...We have the best 90 loss team ever

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
The tarp is coming off at Busch and #Cubs Marlon Byrd is in LF warming up.
Per Muskat

Does Byrd always warm up in LF rather than RF?