Breaking Down Cole Kmet

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
No. His blocking is mpst likely just because he doesn't focus on blocking as he is a 2 sport athlete. For him blocking wasnt going to make him a 1st rounder in any sport. So while he isnt great at it its not like he ever focused solely on football either.

That is fair. As I said he has the tools but remains to be seen if he puts it together. Unless he becomes a Kelce or Ertz he is going to need that blocking to increase his value.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Yes a complete unknown. Other than being a preseason Mackey candidate.

Tight End

Georgia Bulldogs-Charlie Woerner 6’5″, 245 pound, senior, 4 star recruit out of Tiger, GA.

Two receptions for 7 yards and zero receiving touchdowns in three games in 2019.

Notre Dame Irish-Cole Kmet 6’5″, 230 pound, junior, 4 star recruit out of Arlington Heights, IL.

Has not played in 2019, due to a broken collarbone injury sustained in the preseason.

Advantage-Notre Dame

If Cole Kmet is 100 percent healthy, his speed, athleticism and pass catching ability are all superior to that of Woerner’s. Both tight ends made the preseason watch list for the Mackey Award, given to college football’s best tight end. Kmet presents the Irish with a big body receiving target in short yardage downs. In addition, he is an elite red zone target for Ian Book. His return will be a welcome addition to the Notre Dame offense.

Referring to production. Already conceded he has the potential. Woerner who also was preseason Mackey had 148 yards the prior year and finished with just 78 in 2019.

That preseason watchlist is pretty meaningless. It has pretty much any TE with any kind of potential on it.

Briggs is GOAT

Liked Posts:
Shaheen dont loom goofy until the NFL. When drafted everyone was raving about how big and agile he was and he actually had a much better 3 cone and slightly better 20 yard shuttle than Kmet. The Shaheen hype is real and comparable.
I know the Shaheen hype was real, nobody was hyping him more than me lol. Shaheen does have talent, he's got pretty good hands and he can make contested catches, his issue is his lack of coordination, and I don't think that showed in college cause he was playing against lesser competition. Kmet was at a super legit D1 school playing against other NFL bound guys.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Who were the other 4. I assume they were left out because they sucked.

I know our beloved Kellen Davis was 6-6, 259 and ran a 4.6 40 but not sure if he is included since he was just under 260

In any event stat doesn't really mean a thing if the other 4 guys sucked as that would be a less than 50% success rate if only 3 out of 7 were good.

Also consider that Kmet and Shaheen had the same exact height/weight adjusted 40 time.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I know the Shaheen hype was real, nobody was hyping him more than me lol. Shaheen does have talent, he's got pretty good hands and he can make contested catches, his issue is his lack of coordination, and I don't think that showed in college cause he was playing against lesser competition. Kmet was at a super legit D1 school playing against other NFL bound guys.

It doesnt change his clocked 3 cone and 20 yard shuttle which again was faster than Kmet. The NFL is a different animal.

Briggs is GOAT

Liked Posts:
It doesnt change his clocked 3 cone and 20 yard shuttle which again was faster than Kmet. The NFL is a different animal.
Yeah, that's something to consider.

I just don't think the 3 cone and 20 yard shuttle is really that indicative of someone's level of coordination though. I mean Shaheen would literally trip over himself, it was bizarre. I've never seen anyone with that issue other than him.

We'll see how it plays out though, I just want to see football in the fall.

CubandBear

Liked Posts:
This was posted in another thread but is a nice analysis of Kmet. Simms was right on saying he's a first round talent but doesn't get out of the top 45. It all depends on team needs.

The whole time that I watched that, I had in mind that he also pitched for Notre Dame. Now? It's focus time!
He could even put on 20 more pounds in the weight room, at his height, and not lose his agility. He don't catch with his body, but with his hands. It's going to be interesting.

CubandBear

Liked Posts:
Forgot what the Bear's TE name was. The one who had MENTAL issues, and injury prone, and didn't come back off injury, no doubt BECAUSE OF HIS MENTAL ISSUES!

CubandBear

Liked Posts:
"1st round TE" and something the Bear's needed. I'd say they did good.
I looked at the history of pick 43's, and didn't see nobody. That's bad news.

They mentioned that he was a first rounder.

I saw some of the draft, and never knew how many TE were drafted before him. Guess I'll review it.

Odds are against him. Big guy played Baseball too. Bears might have a surprise.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Yeah, that's something to consider.

I just don't think the 3 cone and 20 yard shuttle is really that indicative of someone's level of coordination though. I mean Shaheen would literally trip over himself, it was bizarre. I've never seen anyone with that issue other than him.

We'll see how it plays out though, I just want to see football in the fall.

Well it obviously isn't exact but it is what people use to test agility and change of direction. Think Shaheen just got overwhelmed by the NFL.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
Just jumping in because it is amazing to me that any Bears fans are still debating Cole Kmet or any other draftee.

... it is clearly not enough info to really know what we a re talking about. So I think we should stop taking ourselves so damn seriously.

So you agree with me then. Cool

Briggs is GOAT

Liked Posts:
Well it obviously isn't exact but it is what people use to test agility and change of direction. Think Shaheen just got overwhelmed by the NFL.
Another thing is that Shaheen is injury prone and never got to stick. He was impressing at the end of his rookie season then got injured. Looking good in preseason going into year 2 then hurt his foot. Concussion near the end of year 2 as well, and then the whole offense suffered in year 3.