BREAKING NEWS: Roquan Smith Wants OUT!

Montucky

Liked Posts:
We can’t have it both ways. If you’re ok with non guaranteed contracts, you can’t be mad at players trying to get the best contract possible
OK fine but what if the best contract possible is still less than what the player wants? That might be the problem here. Roquan Smith has no agent telling him what realistic and what isn't.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Roquan is no longer the ILB or MLB in this defense. Morrow will be calling the defensive assignments. Roquan is the WILL in this defense. Roquan is a top 5 ILB!!!!!(probably one of the dumbest fucking moot points on this board).

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
@vabearsfan15 do you have a positive long term real time solution to this conundrum?

Bears have 40 mil more in cap space available than the next team in 2023. We still have some room to work with this year. I say we all shine the McKaskey light over the city and get Poles to Pay the Man!

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

“While the linebacker position is one that carries great prestige for the Bears, it isn't a premium position like quarterback, wide receiver, left tackle or edge rusher. All of those positions warrant significant contracts. Of the 50 highest-paid NFL players by base salary, just six of those play a position outside of those four premium spots.

Colts star Darius Leonard has the top salary for an inside linebacker after signing a five-year, $98.5-million extension in 2021. He contract ranks 48th in the NFL in annual average salary.”

“As a rookie general manager, Poles is keenly aware of the perception he could create with these contract negotiations. He was already tested by the representatives for rookie safety Jaquan Brisker, who sought guaranteed money for his third year under contract. It could’ve created a poor precedent for Poles to budge on that matter. He held firm, and Brisker signed after reporting to training camp.

Longtime NFL agents are paying attention to whether Poles will cave on Smith’s contract demands. Poles recognizes that pressure and the implications for future negotiations. One agent described the precedent set as "fair game" in negotiations with Poles and the Bears.”

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:

“While the linebacker position is one that carries great prestige for the Bears, it isn't a premium position like quarterback, wide receiver, left tackle or edge rusher. All of those positions warrant significant contracts. Of the 50 highest-paid NFL players by base salary, just six of those play a position outside of those four premium spots.

Colts star Darius Leonard has the top salary for an inside linebacker after signing a five-year, $98.5-million extension in 2021. He contract ranks 48th in the NFL in annual average salary.”

“As a rookie general manager, Poles is keenly aware of the perception he could create with these contract negotiations. He was already tested by the representatives for rookie safety Jaquan Brisker, who sought guaranteed money for his third year under contract. It could’ve created a poor precedent for Poles to budge on that matter. He held firm, and Brisker signed after reporting to training camp.

Longtime NFL agents are paying attention to whether Poles will cave on Smith’s contract demands. Poles recognizes that pressure and the implications for future negotiations. One agent described the precedent set as "fair game" in negotiations with Poles and the Bears.”
Agreed with this.

Except it neglects the fact that Fred Warner and Leonard were given huge contracts for a LB. Those contracts broken the ceiling for LB value.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Agreed with this.

Except it neglects the fact that Fred Warner and Leonard were given huge contracts for a LB. Those contracts broken the ceiling for LB value.

Think the most important point is the last paragraph about agents paying attention.

You can bet your ass if Poles caves on this then we can expect every player coming for an extension to make trade requests and negotiate through the media.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Think the most important point is the last paragraph about agents paying attention.

You can bet your ass if Poles caves on this then we can expect every player coming for an extension to make trade requests and negotiate through the media.

It is overstated to be honest. Half the guys that got traded or extending this year did so after requesting a trade in one form or fashion. The only thing that makes Quan different is he did so without working thru an agent.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
It is overstated to be honest. Half the guys that got traded or extending this year did so after requesting a trade in one form or fashion. The only thing that makes Quan different is he did so without working thru an agent.
I’m talking about the end result. I could have worded that better.

My point is I see some Bears fans that just want to pay Quan anything. 24-26 a year…. Doesn’t matter. “We have cap space. He deserves it. Blah blah blah”

If Poles agrees to a what (to me) is a gross overpay then that says “open season” to all the other agents.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I’m talking about the end result. I could have worded that better.

My point is I see some Bears fans that just want to pay Quan anything. 24-26 a year…. Doesn’t matter. “We have cap space. He deserves it. Blah blah blah”

If Poles agrees to a what (to me) is a gross overpay then that says “open season” to all the other agents.

Agreed. 20-21 million is probably the high end of the range for Quan given what Leonard and Warner got.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Agreed. 20-21 million is probably the high end of the range for Quan given what Leonard and Warner got.
But @nc0gnet0 said that our cap situation in the upcoming years is awful and we can't afford to sign him!

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
I remember seeing the Warner contract and was like damn, that's so much for a LB. They also have Nick Bosa coming due for a new deal as well.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I remember seeing the Warner contract and was like damn, that's so much for a LB. They also have Nick Bosa coming due for a new deal as well.

It is but they are in a contender window. Question is whether Quan is worth that when we may not comtend for a couple of years.

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
@vabearsfan15 do you have a positive long term real time solution to this conundrum?

I know you aren't talking to me, but randomly seeing your question made me think "maybe the nfl should make it policy to have a 3rd party only contract policy".

Doesn't matter if it is a next door neighbor that is really good at returning stuff to the gap or a full blown agent.
Just a 3rd party mediator to keep shit from getting personal.

I would imagine teams would talk shit about a mid prime Jim brown in contract talks nowadays.
Gotta keep feelings out of it and that is impossible when a player reps himself.

czman

Liked Posts:
I probably rate Smith better than most and think losing him will hurt the defense more than a lot of people are acknowledging; however I would not pay a 4-3 lb more than 11 mil a season. The cap is 208 million. 5% of the cap is the most I would go. Honestly I don't even think the entire 4-3 lb core should cost 10% of the cap.

While Smith is an excellent player he is just not worth anywhere near 20 million. Replacing him is highly unlikely and it will suck getting gashed in the middle of the field on passing plays it is still better trying to scheme defense then throw ~15% of your cap into lbs.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I know you aren't talking to me, but randomly seeing your question made me think "maybe the nfl should make it policy to have a 3rd party only contract policy".

Doesn't matter if it is a next door neighbor that is really good at returning stuff to the gap or a full blown agent.
Just a 3rd party mediator to keep shit from getting personal.

I would imagine teams would talk shit about a mid prime Jim brown in contract talks nowadays.
Gotta keep feelings out of it and that is impossible when a player reps himself.
Isn't that what an agent is paid for? lol