Brett Kollmann breaks down the rookie QB's

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I dialed back my criticism of Kizer's play after Brett explained that they were blitzing the hell out of him. He still however spent nearly every passing play staring down his first read. That will kick him in the ass real quick in the NFL.

I was pretty disappointed he didn't point out the deep pass on 3rd and long as fuck that Trubisky converted for a first down. Or the fact he was accurate as fuck dropping dimes out there.

Or you could have just read my posts on Bort's thread aboot 5 days ago. :)

http://www.chicitysports.com/forum/showthread.php/86783-Bort-Report-Official-Scouting-Report-on-This-Years-Quarterback-Class?p=2811591&viewfull=1#post2811591

http://www.chicitysports.com/forum/showthread.php/86783-Bort-Report-Official-Scouting-Report-on-This-Years-Quarterback-Class?p=2811618&viewfull=1#post2811618

Mitchapalooza

Guys like Brett rarely get network jobs because cable networks work on sensationalized reporting. They are only trying to attract viewers and clicks. Loudmouths, entertainers, drama and arguments draw people like moths to the flame. Until there is a larger market for film breakdown, he has a better chance at working for a team breaking down plays like Tom Thayer for instance or directly working for a coaching staff analyzing film.

Yeah that's the sad reality in sports. Look at all the clowns ESPN has and all the good reporters they just fired recently.

(except Dilfer...they finally got rid of that idiot)

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Ugh, okay. My post where I slammed him for his performance was in the thread for the all passing plays NFL video on Trubisky where people talked about Kizer's play. I didn't even read the thread you're linking. My criticism of Kizer was that he stared down the first read on almost all of his passing plays, he also only had one passing play dropping back from under center as he passed nearly exclusively out of the shotgun. I still am not particularly impressed by his outing last week but I give him some more credit since he was being blitzed a lot.

ditka4life

Liked Posts:
i think Trubisky will be the best of the rookie qbs. Kizer is surprisingly better than i thought.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'll reserve judgement on the rookie quarterbacks when we have a larger sample size on under center passing. They got an inordinate amount of shotgun passing to help them out.

Kizer passed 17 times from the shotgun, once from under center and rolled out once. Trubisky passed 18 times from the shotgun, 3 times from under center and rolled out 3 times.

napo55

Liked Posts:
Guys like Brett rarely get network jobs because cable networks work on sensationalized reporting. They are only trying to attract viewers and clicks. Loudmouths, entertainers, drama and arguments draw people like moths to the flame. Until there is a larger market for film breakdown, he has a better chance at working for a team breaking down plays like Tom Thayer for instance or directly working for a coaching staff analyzing film.

Seems like this sports analysis applies to politics in spades..

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Seems like this sports analysis applies to politics in spades..

Its cable network news as a whole. Doesn't matter which sort of news it is. ESPN has to compete with NFL network for viewership and its no secret that ESPN has been a shithole for years. Its parent company Disney doesn't like them either. They should have never bought them. ESPN isn't viewed as a good asset anymore.

As for "regular" news networks, all cable news networks have to compete with the major networks so they can't even afford to do anything other than report on hot ticket topics whether its fake news or not. They have to drive the ratings or else.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
I'll reserve judgement on the rookie quarterbacks when we have a larger sample size on under center passing. They got an inordinate amount of shotgun passing to help them out.

Kizer passed 17 times from the shotgun, once from under center and rolled out once. Trubisky passed 18 times from the shotgun, 3 times from under center and rolled out 3 times.

Why is under center so important to people? Aren't most of the NFL passes not under center?
And if your QB sucks under center why would anyone demand it happen?

dawags

Liked Posts:
Had to watch that video with the link to youtube, but on the same page was a really good Kollman breakdown video on Jordan Howard. Recommend checking it out.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Why is under center so important to people? Aren't most of the NFL passes not under center?
And if your QB sucks under center why would anyone demand it happen?

Why is under center passing so important? Because you need to keep defenses honest and you don't want to telegraph run or pass based on formation. This is why you still sprinkle in shotgun runs and under center passes so you can still pass from the shotgun and run from under center. Dropping back to pass from under center is the prototypical pro style offense that the NFL has been running for a long time. Its why QBs are usually coveted from colleges running pro style offenses if they've proven to be standouts in them.

Either way I understand the argument you're making and there is something to be said there. A lot of offenses have become shotgun heavy in the past few years. The Bears for instance were in the shotgun 61.3% of the time last year. So its a good thing we went out and picked up a proficient shotgun quarterback. However make no mistake, that other 38.7% is a fucking lot of snaps. Imagine if your quarterback was shit at passing 38% of the time. Your offense would suffer massively.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Why is under center passing so important? Because you need to keep defenses honest and you don't want to telegraph run or pass based on formation. This is why you still sprinkle in shotgun runs and under center passes so you can still pass from the shotgun and run from under center. Dropping back to pass from under center is the prototypical pro style offense that the NFL has been running for a long time. Its why QBs are usually coveted from colleges running pro style offenses if they've proven to be standouts in them.

Either way I understand the argument you're making and there is something to be said there. A lot of offenses have become shotgun heavy in the past few years. The Bears for instance were in the shotgun 61.3% of the time last year. So its a good thing we went out and picked up a proficient shotgun quarterback. However make no mistake, that other 38.7% is a fucking lot of snaps. Imagine if your quarterback was shit at passing 38% of the time. Your offense would suffer massively.

I understand now. Thanks. All about keeping the defense guessing.

I understood when bringing a QB in you want options. I didn't understand once you had one, why keep Rex under center to drop balls, pull out early and get stepped on all the time since you can run or pass from under center or from shotgun.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I dialed back my criticism of Kizer's play after Brett explained that they were blitzing the hell out of him. He still however spent nearly every passing play staring down his first read. That will kick him in the ass real quick in the NFL.

I was pretty disappointed he didn't point out the deep pass on 3rd and long as fuck that Trubisky converted for a first down. Or the fact he was accurate as fuck dropping dimes out there.

I still wouldn't completely agree with that. It was not always the 1st progression he was waiting for. He went through some reads quickly and then waited for the guy he wanted to come open. That's exactly what he did in college. He can read but he doesn't anticipate open as much as wait for it to happen before he throws.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Unless you're trying to say he managed to go through reads without moving his head, he was staring down his first read almost every play. At best he managed to read two receivers on the majority of these plays. Assuming there were two receivers to the side of the field he was staring down.

[video=youtube;5EQJnJqYVE4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EQJnJqYVE4[/video]

Last edited:

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Just because he might have 2 guys on one side or sees his 1st read has an advantage doesn't mean he's not reading and often did more than that. He also looks off defenders.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Just because he might have 2 guys on one side or sees his 1st read has an advantage doesn't mean he's not reading and often did more than that. He also looks off defenders.

Looks off defenders? Did you just refer to a screen pass? Get the fuck out of here. Its called selling the play to give the screen pass an opportunity to develop. Its no different than a quarterback selling the play action well or pump faking which he actually did on one play.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
How is this significant. Positive comments are going to happen when...
During the 2017 preseason, Trubisky recorded the third-highest passer rating of the 29 quarterbacks with at least 50 passes with 106.2, along with three touchdowns and no interceptions. Mitch got worse as he was asked to do more and change his mechanics/play style.

I said decent things about Kizer here as well but I sure as hell didn't want to draft him in one. How many Mitch haters said he sucks here? This wasn't about bias, it was trying to break down the drafted QBs preseason play which we all know can be dubious in regards to the regular season.

One of the worst necros in a while.

Last edited:

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
During the 2017 preseason

That magical month of August 2017.

It was literally the only time I was a Mitchell Trubisky fan. By the the end of November, I was more of a critic and never really came back from that.