Brian Daboll an interesting HC candidate

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I like Daboll as well, and he's OC'd more than one game unlike his would-be predecessor. But the Bears will follow their formula of being safe every time after "taking a risk". Cutler --> Trubisky; Trestman --> Fox; Nagy --> old retread.
Exactly the trend, it would be nice to get it right and be able to have a head coach and QB that are able to work together for a decade

#FireEveryoneGeorge

Liked Posts:
Look around the league at the defensive head coaches. If you take out the 3 interim coaches (Det, Atl, Hou), you only have 9 of 29 coaches who are defensive guys. Of those 9: Vrabel, Tomlin, Carroll, McDermott, and probably Rivera and Flores would make 6 of 9 of them leading playoff teams. The ones not making the playoffs are Fangio (devastated by injuries), Zimmer (who still could make a run for the playoffs) and the greatest coach ever, Belichick.

If you go for a guy simply for the purpose of developing a QB, you're much more likely to end up with a Matt Nagy type rather than a Kyle Shanahan type. Thats not to say you don't go for an offensive head coach. You go for the coach you think is best able to carry out the organization's vision (assuming the Bears get one) and don't limit it to "oh we need a guy to groom us a franchise QB".

I’d also include Special Teams coaches in your list of successes. John Harbaugh was a ST coach, as was Ditka, Vermeil and a few other very successful HC’s.

Ej63090

Anti-Exultant Cruise Dire
Liked Posts:
Elite QB’s get shit coaches to SB’s all the time. Rodgers with McCarthy and Ryan with Quinn.

It’s even looking like Foles flash in the pan might have won Doug Peterson a SB.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
Look around the league at the defensive head coaches. If you take out the 3 interim coaches (Det, Atl, Hou), you only have 9 of 29 coaches who are defensive guys. Of those 9: Vrabel, Tomlin, Carroll, McDermott, and probably Rivera and Flores would make 6 of 9 of them leading playoff teams. The ones not making the playoffs are Fangio (devastated by injuries), Zimmer (who still could make a run for the playoffs) and the greatest coach ever, Belichick.

If you go for a guy simply for the purpose of developing a QB, you're much more likely to end up with a Matt Nagy type rather than a Kyle Shanahan type. Thats not to say you don't go for an offensive head coach. You go for the coach you think is best able to carry out the organization's vision (assuming the Bears get one) and don't limit it to "oh we need a guy to groom us a franchise QB".

Th QB position is the most important position in football. So your HC damn well better know how to handle developing one. Simple as that.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Th QB position is the most important position in football. So your HC damn well better know how to handle developing one. Simple as that.

None of those coaches I named directly effect the QBs output. Belichick is the best coach ever. Tomlin is probably the best coach right now. Flores one of the brightest young coaches. Carroll the most successful coach outside of Belichick. Hell, Brady and Belichick didn't even get along that well and won 6 superbowls together. The HC better know how to handle the entire team. If he doesn't personally work with the QB and the offense, then he damn well better get an OC that can.

bufordht

Liked Posts:
The last thirty years of Bears football have been defined by desperate attempts to solve the quarterback position while at least three Super Bowl caliber defenses were wasted. The obsession with the quarterback position and finding "the guy" has basically ruined the Bears franchise while they have sat through the prime of at least four of the best defensive players in the history of the NFL.

The Bears will gladly drive the car off the cliff for anyone who can sell them on the idea that they'll fix the quarterback problem. Head coach, general manager, offensive coordinator...you know it. The fans are invariably along for the ride.

Then the reality hits that quarterback development is fugazi. Its junk science. The forces that steer the development of great quarterbacks are not savvy scouting or "QB-whisperer" coaches.

I wouldn't say the last thirty are defined by desperate attempts, more like stupid attempts and largely neglecting the position. We've had 3 first round first rd qb picks in 30 years... The Cutler trade was desperation. That's 4 real attempts in 30 years at filling the most important position. That's not evidence of being obsessed with finding a qb.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I wouldn't say the last thirty are defined by desperate attempts, more like stupid attempts and largely neglecting the position. We've had 3 first round first rd qb picks in 30 years... The Cutler trade was desperation. That's 4 real attempts in 30 years at filling the most important position. That's not evidence of being obsessed with finding a qb.

I wouldn't call the Cutler trade desperation. He was a 25-year old, former top 10 pick, coming of a 4500 yard pro bowl season. Guys like that don't get made available. The equivalent would have been Deshaun Watson being on the trade block last year.

bufordht

Liked Posts:
I wouldn't call the Cutler trade desperation. He was a 25-year old, former top 10 pick, coming of a 4500 yard pro bowl season. Guys like that don't get made available. The equivalent would have been Deshaun Watson being on the trade block last year.

I think trading 2 firsts, and a third is desperation, doesn't mean it was a bad move at the time, but you don't make that move if you aren't desperate. I don't really care what we call it though ?. Tis what tis.

greg23

Liked Posts:
Love Smith officially available!!!

Get the band back together.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I've wanted him since 2018 been on the train for a minute.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Still remember when Nick Saban when off on him in Alabama.