Building a team

SeriouslyImNotPace

Liked Posts:
Rather than speaking in generalities, how would you go about building this team, say you had 2 years? Or 3, your choice. How many playmakers are they still in need of? How many positions would you attempt to fill, starters and back ups included?

Who would be your surprise cuts and guys you would unexpectedly keep?

How would you use cap and what would your draft strategy be?

AussieBear

at least youre not asking.. do you start a franchise wiff brady, rodgers or triscuit

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
Pretty broad question and everything really depends on Trubisky working out. Taken in order....

1) Make sure Trubisky gets some time with the 1s on Sunday and then play him the second he's ready.
2) There are going to be a lot of players cut after pre-season game 4. I'd be keeping a sharp eye out for anyone that can improve the O-Line, WR and CB group in particular.
3) Fire Fox after the season and try and keep Fangio/Donatell
4) Prioritise OT and likely a receiver in the draft
5) Hit FA hard with a ton of cap space - priority no1 is ensure Trubisky is starting behind a really strong line with at least two viable weapons

How's that for a start?

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nice try, Ryan Pace. The screen name doesn't fool me.

QDTIPyX.gif

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
Pretty broad question and everything really depends on Trubisky working out. Taken in order....

1) Make sure Trubisky gets some time with the 1s on Sunday and then play him the second he's ready.
2) There are going to be a lot of players cut after pre-season game 4. I'd be keeping a sharp eye out for anyone that can improve the O-Line, WR and CB group in particular.
5) Hit FA hard with a ton of cap space - priority no1 is ensure Trubisky is starting behind a really strong line with at least two viable weapons

How's that for a start?

Unfortunately, this plan includes several key factors that the Bears are historically bad at: drafting and developing quarterbacks; drafting and developing WRs; hiring good coaches & GMs; not getting raped in the FA market by guys who are a shell of themselves (Peppers & Allen for example).

Sid.Luckman

Drunk
Donator
Liked Posts:
Provided things keep trending the way they are, first I would look to bring in book end tackles. I would look to bring in a LT through the draft in the first or second round and a RT in free agency. I feel the middle of the O-line has talent and depth.

I would also prioritize CB in the draft, grab one high and perhaps another late rounder. Would look for depth as they have done in free agency. Would also look to add another young safety and one in FA.

Would look to draft a TE both years as they can be a young QB's best friend. WR would be low priority believe it or not. Would look for a late rounder or UDFA and FA or two in the first year and a 1st or 2nd rounder in the second year.

Anything I couldn't find first year, I would add to the second year draft plan. I would also pull a mid to late round QB and RB each year. Never hurts to have more horses in the stable.

I would prefer to build through the draft and fill in depth with mid tier FA's. Draft order priority next year would be BPA, LT, CB, FS, TE, WR, QB, RB. I put BPA at the top because I believe that you always draft BPA in the first round unless there are several players you like that fall to you, then either grab your guy or trade down. You only trade up in the first for a franchise QB, LT, or DE and only if it is your guy.

Last edited:

Washington

Liked Posts:
The game is won in the trenches. I am continually looking to upgrade both lines.

Always look to add a pass rusher. You can never have enough of them.

Somewhere along the way, a shutdown CB would be a huge asset. Get one.

Drafting players who were very productive in college regardless of size. Where applicable, a focus on speed should be used. You can't teach speed and speed kills in the NFL.

Treehorn

Liked Posts:
Unfortunately, this plan includes several key factors that the Bears are historically bad at: drafting and developing quarterbacks; drafting and developing WRs; hiring good coaches & GMs; not getting raped in the FA market by guys who are a shell of themselves (Peppers & Allen for example).

???? Peppers had some great years for the Bears.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:

Peppers Balled out for the Bears for several years before he became a turncoat motherfucker.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

How's that for a start?

Pretty damn good I believe.

SeriouslyImNotPace

Liked Posts:
Sounds very good and thanka for responding. Not sure there is much help in f.a. this year but hopefully some pieces do emerge.

I am excited about the potential youth on offense...hope they find a coach who knows what he is doing.

SeriouslyImNotPace

Liked Posts:
Agree fully. Looking at whole squad, rush could be ok this year but real trouble going forward...Houston and McPhee/injuries, Young's age. Not a lot shaking free from other team's either.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You must start with a franchise QB and then build from the trenches out.

Hopefully Mitch is the answer at QB.

DL looks pretty damn good but they will need to add another edge rusher.

OL needs more depth at the tackle spot.

After that everything else is icing on the cake. I would go heavy on defense because a franchise QB and a solid OL will let playmakers make plays. This team needs to upgrade the corner position and this is where I would look next after fortifying the lines.

jbunch14

Liked Posts:
OLB, S, RT. Pace has been doing an excellent job so far in the draft. Our OLBs will likely be very thin next year. I would like to see RRH lose 10 lbs and play the McPhee role going forward. He has the athleticism to play outside at 280 and even move down to 3t in a 4 man rush.

Antobears

Liked Posts:
Peppers? Cmon man...

He was played out of position but still produced. I know he tanked his last year but that had more to do with the coaching staff imo.