Building around Fields = Ensuring Success for Next QB

jive

Liked Posts:
Although it is tempting to use the #1 on a QB, there's a good chance that they won't fare any better than Fields did. However, if we draft a generational talent at WR, get the best LT in the draft, and upgrade at C, we would not only help Justin Fields, but we will also help his eventual replacement. There will be other and possibly better QBs in future drafts that could come in and succeed in a situation where we have better offensive personnel in place.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Although it is tempting to use the #1 on a QB, there's a good chance that they won't fare any better than Fields did. However, if we draft a generational talent at WR, get the best LT in the draft, and upgrade at C, we would not only help Justin Fields, but we will also help his eventual replacement. There will be other and possibly better QBs in future drafts that could come in and succeed in a situation where we have better offensive personnel in place.
Makes sense to me even after a couple puffs of gorilla glue.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
I've been arguing that point for months, sure hope Poles and Warren listen.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

It seems a significant amount of Bears fans are in this camp.

And my hope based on what we've seen lately, Poles and Kevin Warren see it that way as well.

jive

Liked Posts:
Even though it's a once in a lifetime opportunity to draft a QB at #1, it's also a once in a lifetime opportunity to draft a generational talent at WR and a franchise LT. We obviously need both. Having Braxton Jones as a swing tackle would be the depth we've needed for ages. Having a backup at tackle with success in the NFL would be special.

inchibearfan

Liked Posts:
The Bears should skip drafting a qb when they may have first pick at one this year again and wait and take everyone's sloppy seconds the following year or the year after that.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
So….add a WR, LT and C, and plug in Zach Wilson? Sam Darnold? Jacoby Brissett?

No. That doesn’t work.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Even though it's a once in a lifetime opportunity to draft a QB at #1, it's also a once in a lifetime opportunity to draft a generational talent at WR and a franchise LT. We obviously need both. Having Braxton Jones as a swing tackle would be the depth we've needed for ages. Having a backup at tackle with success in the NFL would be special.
It is absolutely not by any means of once in a lifetime opportunity to draft a wide receiver. That will be an impact player. That’s insane.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
Braxton Jones has given up 1 sack on almost 400 snaps, meanwhile the C position is the worst in football, we have a backup DE startign across from Sweat, and the starting CB across from JJ has been a free chicken dinner all season. And yet some of the goldfish on this board are pounding the table to spend a 1st round pick on a LT. Replace the dogshit swing tackle Borom you dont need a 1st to replace a swing tackle. But sure, lets get another rookie OT to give up 8 sacks like our rookie RT is on pace for while we get a rookie QB used to running for his life.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
Here's one way to look at it: would Brock Purdy still be player of the month on this team, or is he really more of a game manager excelling because of surrounding weapons, scheme, coaching etc.?

Honestly I don't have a strong opinion one way or the other. I'm pretty certain Poles' mind is already made up about which way he is gonna go, however.

I just hope he makes the right call.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini

Agreed. Ya wanna definitely solidify around the Qb position. And definitely yes to MHJ

zabavka

The owls are not what they seem...
Liked Posts:
Why do the Bears and therefore their fans have such a fear of drafting QBs?

Shit I'd keep Fields AND draft one of the top 5 guys make it a true competition but the Bears are a mom and Pop bullshit run organization who don't know a thing about fighting to be the best at something.

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

They aren't drafting a LT that high. Braxton will be the LT next season and its not the wrong choice.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

jive

Liked Posts:
So….add a WR, LT and C, and plug in Zach Wilson? Sam Darnold? Jacoby Brissett?

No. That doesn’t work.
I'm sure that Jake Browning having Mixon, 3 good WRs, and some pass protection helped him alot.
Purdy looks good with Deebo, Aiyuk, Kittle, CMac and a good O-line
Geno Smith had a resurgence with Metcalf, Lockett, and Walker and an improved O-line

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Here's one way to look at it: would Brock Purdy still be player of the month on this team, or is he really more of a game manager excelling because of surrounding weapons, scheme, coaching etc.?

Honestly I don't have a strong opinion one way or the other. I'm pretty certain Poles' mind is already made up about which way he is gonna go, however.

I just hope he makes the right call.
Purdy was a success even after the 9ers traded the farm for...whoever that kid is that is a backup QB on the Cowboys now...oh yeah Trey Lance