building blocks for defense next season.Vic Fangio

TishLover

Liked Posts:
"On Wednesday, Fangio was asked about next season, and who his building blocks would be. His answer: defensive tackle Eddie Goldman and safety Adrian Amos, both rookies, and the only defensive draft picks from this year.

He also mentioned cornerback Kyle Fuller.

"We need him [Fuller] to take the next step and keep improving to where he becomes a very competent corner in the league and one we have a lot of confidence in, and that's happened as this season has gone on," Fangio said.

"There was some question early in the season about his confidence," Fangio said. "But, like I said then, you have to make some plays to get some confidence. You can't take a confidence pill or go see a sports psychologist. You have to experience it. He started making some good plays and playing better and feeling better about himself, learning more about what we want to do.""

http://www.windycitygridiron.com/20...-amos-are-his-building-blocks-for-next-season

Bit surpried and happy :marshmallow: he did not mentioned Shea McClellin.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I definitely think Fuller is a building block, along with Goldman and Amos. I also think McPhee qualifies, at only 27 as of 2 weeks ago. Adding another block on the DL and another at the LB level (inside or out) would help out a lot. Anything else (another LB, DB) would be gravy and put the team ahead of realistic schedule.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Mixed yr for sure.

Would have liked to see some players distinguish themselves, like...

Christian Jones
Fuller
Ego
Sutton
Shea

But they really didn't, and Jones is likely to be replaced. The rest merely did enough to stay on the field.

Building Blocks

CB - Porter
S - Amos
OLB - McPhee
DE - Jenkins
NT - Goldman
DE/OLB - Houston
OLB - Young

-- are making PLAYS. Young or old, I think they are the building blocks for 2016.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Building Blocks

CB - Porter
S - Amos
ILB -
OLB - McPhee
DE - Jenkins
NT - Goldman
DE - Houston (passing down or more)
OLB - Young
ILB -
S -
CB -

Interesting to note: in a scenario of all 7 on the field at once (Houston at DE, which Id like to see more).

Four more being some combo of

LB:
Shea
Jones
John Timu

CB/NB/S:
Fuller
Alan Ball
Bryce Callahan
Demontre Hurst
Harold Jones-Quartey
Chris Prosinski
Ryan Mundy
Antrelle Rolle

If the 4 were Fuller, Shea, Harold Jones-Quartey and a Draft/FA ILB .
In rotation: Ego, Sutton, Washington, Mitch Unrein, Acho.

That's not a bad place to start.

Top needs:

ILB
Backup NT

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Building Blocks

CB - Porter
S - Amos
ILB -
OLB - McPhee
DE - Jenkins
NT - Goldman
DE - Houston (passing down or more)
OLB - Young
ILB -
S -
CB -

Interesting to note: in a scenario of all 7 on the field at once (Houston at DE, which Id like to see more).

Four more being some combo of

LB:
Shea
Jones
John Timu

CB/NB/S:
Fuller
Alan Ball
Bryce Callahan
Demontre Hurst
Harold Jones-Quartey
Chris Prosinski
Ryan Mundy
Antrelle Rolle

If the 4 were Fuller, Shea, Harold Jones-Quartey and a Draft/FA ILB .
In rotation: Ego, Sutton, Washington, Mitch Unrein, Acho.

That's not a bad place to start.

Top needs:

ILB
Backup NT

That's pretty much the same crappy personnel with a better Jack LB. That's not a good start. That's not good enough.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Bears need to draft Tony Beets from the University of Alaska

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
Goldman and Amos are the start. McPhee is there, but has the knee injury which tells me they need to add an OLB to the mix. Fuller improved dramatically as the season went on. Those to me are the only locked in guys. I think Young likely earned the chance to return as an OLB. Houston is probably making to much for a rotational player. Porter has played well as well and should probably be re-signed to be a stop gap.

Other then that? Two inside linebackers-likely one free agent and one high draft pick-have to be the main focus of the off-season. Shea, Jones(had high hopes for him but he's bad) and whoever else they've trotted out there have been brutal. Timu has looked better then any of them, but I certainly wouldn't go into next season counting on him. They need a starting caliber safety to pair with Amos. Ideally they add an impact player to the line as well. Goldman plus another young potential impact lineman and I think you can get away with Jenkins or whoever.

In short, pace has a lot of work to do. That said, the defense was far from terrible and just adding a few more quality players should get them to around average assuming Fangio doesn't get hired to be a head coach.(which I don't think is likely)