I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I always found this interesting, in that Jordan became the first to have a team with no dominant center to win a championship and he did it 6 times and all 6 times he faced teams that also did not have a dominating center. Granted that could have only ever been Olajuwon or DRob (well and Shaq in 97 and 98). But the Bulls did beat the Knicks with Ewing several times in the playoffs, and dominated the Shaq and the Magic in 96 (though they beat him in 95).

If we look at pre-Drexler Houston...

93-94 Rockets had a lineup of Olajuwon-Thorpe-Horry-Maxwell-Kenny Smith... Sam Cassell and Mario Elie off the bench.

98-99 Rockets had a lineup of DRob-Duncan-Elliott-Elie-Avery Johnson with Jaren Jackson as their 6th. Malik Rose and Jerome Kersey as key bench contributors.... Steve Kerr was also on this team and I assume he wouldn't be if the Bulls stay together.
alonzo mourning is another that they went through in the playoffs. could maybe throw a guy like Rik Smits in there. Brad Daugherty was pretty good, too. im sure most dont consider smits or daugherty to be elite level centers or anything, but they were certainly better than any center the bulls had or played against in the finals

and yeah, give me that 93-94 rockets team

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
alonzo mourning is another that they went through in the playoffs. could maybe throw a guy like Rik Smits in there. Brad Daugherty was pretty good, too. im sure most dont consider smits or daugherty to be elite level centers or anything, but they were certainly better than any center the bulls had or played against in the finals

and yeah, give me that 93-94 rockets team
Daugherty was a star, but a low level one. I think Smits only made 1 All-Star team, might have been that season they played the Bulls.... Mourning was a 2nd tier star. But yeah they all beat Divac, Kevin Buckworth (prob best center they did face, 2x All-Star), I don't even know who the Suns had at center, Ervin Johnson, and Greg Ostertag.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Daugherty was a star, but a low level one. I think Smits only made 1 All-Star team, might have been that season they played the Bulls.... Mourning was a 2nd tier star. But yeah they all beat Divac, Kevin Buckworth (prob best center they did face, 2x All-Star), I don't even know who the Suns had at center, Ervin Johnson, and Greg Ostertag.
yeah, it seemed the bulls always played a top tier PF in the finals...

Barkley, Kemp, and Malone 2X

BBBF

Liked Posts:
Don't the players have any pride in their team and want to carry on the legacy of Michael?"

It's a naive question I guess, but is this a thing or will it ever be a thing again? Or is it all just about money?

I think it was the opposite. Why do it in Chicago, where you will never be as good or as loved as Jordan? That might not be as much of a factor as it once was. Enough time has passed that just being good (D. Rose), getting the Bulls competitive and eventually winning a championship would be as good as anywhere else, but that just means you on the same level as every other team. Then add in a bad owner and bad weather.

When they broke up the team and all the players trashed ownership. That stink still hasn't worn off. They need to either luck into drafting a superstar again or have a change of ownership, which can convince stars that Chicago is a destination.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I think it was the opposite. Why do it in Chicago, where you will never be as good or as loved as Jordan? That might not be as much of a factor as it once was. Enough time has passed that just being good (D. Rose), getting the Bulls competitive and eventually winning a championship would be as good as anywhere else, but that just means you on the same level as every other team. Then add in a bad owner and bad weather.

When they broke up the team and all the players trashed ownership. That stink still hasn't worn off. They need to either luck into drafting a superstar again or have a change of ownership, which can convince stars that Chicago is a destination.
This is how 99% of teams win championships anyways.

BBBF

Liked Posts:
This is how 99% of teams win championships anyways.
Yes and no. Now it's luck into a superstar, who can convince others to join him or be either LA, Golden State or Miami.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Yes and no. Now it's luck into a superstar, who can convince others to join him or be either LA, Golden State or Miami.
My 99% is too high but since the ABA merger in 76, there have only been 4 teams to win ships without at least one of their top 2 players being drafted by them. 2020 Lakers, 2019 Raptors, 2004 Pistons, and 1983 Sixers. All of those teams only won 1 title and the Pistons were the only ones to return to the Finals.

In just about every case, it was "draft well, then acquire another star".

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
Good morning.

I've been trying to get my kiddos into watching different sports to see what they might enjoy besides football. Son loves soccer and sumo wrestling, daughter hates baseball, sorta likes hockey, so we started watching YouTubes of classic performances, Jordan, kobe, bird, Bill Russell, Bron,and then a bunch of streetball.

So my daughter asked a question, "are the bulls any good anymore?" LOL no. So she was like, how could they be bad if they had the GOAT and the best team in NBA history? "Don't the players have any pride in their team and want to carry on the legacy of Michael?"

It's a naive question I guess, but is this a thing or will it ever be a thing again? Or is it all just about money?

I personally don't know. Bears players talk about the history all the time, and sometimes it seems more than just pandering to the fan base. Do bulls players do that?

Last player I was excited about was Laurie Merkenan or whatever I'm not spelling right here...

I regret to inform you that this post/thread violates new forum rules of making a bulls related thread in the Bulls forum.

I also regret to inform you that you have received -1.3 demerits that have been added to your CCS social credit score.

A few more points and your posting privileges will be removed.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My 99% is too high but since the ABA merger in 76, there have only been 4 teams to win ships without at least one of their top 2 players being drafted by them. 2020 Lakers, 2019 Raptors, 2004 Pistons, and 1983 Sixers. All of those teams only won 1 title and the Pistons were the only ones to return to the Finals.

In just about every case, it was "draft well, then acquire another star".
And the 2020 Lakers championship comes with an asterisk!

Icculus

The Great and Knowledgeable
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Army Black Knights
He tore the team down when they could have continued winning just to prove he could do it without Jordan

And he failed miserably
That is what Krause did
Did you watch The Last Dance. Reinsdorf was responsible for that because 😲 he didn't want to keep paying more money every year to prolong the dynasty and Krause willingly played the fall guy role. Jerry Reinsdorf himself admitted this in the documentary. Reinsdorf's cheapness ended the Bulls dynasty and any chance they have since had competing for championships, not Krause's insecurity.