Bulls vs Celtics game thread

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
He is the primary reason Skiles was fired, and he took none of the blame for it. He was asked to be our 3rd scorer on that team behind Gordon and Deng, and he failed miserably.

I have never heard that before....I heard that the primary reason Skiles got fired was Ben Wallace. Both KC Johnson and Brian Hanley said that while on the radio together...the one player that was most instrumental in getting Skiles fired was Wallace.

Shakes

Iconoclast
Liked Posts:
TheStig wrote:
I just don't see anyone ever building an offense around Deng. Skiles did everything he could to get him going and he still didn't crack 20ppg. Building an offense around Deng is like the kids who soup up their civics, sure it could be done but why the hell would you want too.

I don't think Skiles built an offense around Deng. If anything the criticsm of Skiles was that he'd run the same offense no matter who he had. I think it's more that Deng happened to be suited to that style of offense. So long as you don't expect him to shoot threes or go one on one, he's an excellent complementary player.

I could certainly see a championship team where Deng was the third scorer as well as giving them solid defense and rebounding and he'd earn his contract. I think we all agree that team isn't Chicago.

Fred

Liked Posts:
houheffna wrote:
He is the primary reason Skiles was fired, and he took none of the blame for it. He was asked to be our 3rd scorer on that team behind Gordon and Deng, and he failed miserably.

I have never heard that before....I heard that the primary reason Skiles got fired was Ben Wallace. Both KC Johnson and Brian Hanley said that while on the radio together...the one player that was most instrumental in getting Skiles fired was Wallace.

The reason Skiles was fired was because of the team's record. We were expected to do much better, just like this year. We went from a 49-win team to the lottery with basically the same players. The most important player with the biggest dropoff during that season was Kirk. When you consider how bad he's playing this year, and his stats were actually WORSE in December of 07, that should put into perspective how God-awful he was. Of course he wasn't blamed for it...he never is.

I'm home sick with the flu, and I just endured watching the Celtics game again. If Kirk is so great defensively, can you tell me why he was matched up against Eddie House for 95% of the game? Of course, Eddie guarded Kirk on the defensive end. Eddie House, one of the worst defensive players in the NBA. Kirk went 1-6, with 3 terrible turnovers. Eddie scored 15, and Funk didn't even say a word.

This is the only place where the Captain gets rightfully torched. I challenge you to find one article detailing his horrible start outside of KC Johnson...one sentence. You'll find it regarding Salmons. You won't find it about the Captain.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
Skiles DID NOT get fired because of the record...he got fired because his team didn't want him as a coach anymore. The players rebelled against him...led by Ben Wallace. Making Kirk the main culprit for what happened seems far fetched.

As far as this year, Kirk is playing badly no doubt...I don't give Kirk a free ride...he has struggled badly, doesn't mean he is not a decent player. He has shown more times than not that he is a pretty good player.

Fred

Liked Posts:
houheffna wrote:
Skiles DID NOT get fired because of the record...he got fired because his team didn't want him as a coach anymore. The players rebelled against him...led by Ben Wallace. Making Kirk the main culprit for what happened seems far fetched.

As far as this year, Kirk is playing badly no doubt...I don't give Kirk a free ride...he has struggled badly, doesn't mean he is not a decent player. He has shown more times than not that he is a pretty good player.

So if the Bulls were 10 games over .500 in December of 07, you're still saying that he would have been fired, even he technically lost the team? Part of the reason they were so bad was because Skiles lost the team. A bigger reason was because Kirk turned into a CBA player.

Diddy1122

I ain't your pal dickface
Liked Posts:
houheffna wrote:
[/quote]Skiles DID NOT get fired because of the record...he got fired because his team didn't want him as a coach anymore. The players rebelled against him...led by Ben Wallace. Making Kirk the main culprit for what happened seems far fetched.
Both of those go hand in hand. Skiles was fired because of the record, which was a direct result of Wallace/Smith leading a locker room revolt against Skiles.

jsain360

Liked Posts:
houheffna wrote:

Kirk is more like on the decline, his glory days are behind him.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
So if the Bulls were 10 games over .500 in December of 07, you're still saying that he would have been fired, even he technically lost the team? Part of the reason they were so bad was because Skiles lost the team. A bigger reason was because Kirk turned into a CBA player.

I don't know where you got that info from, but they had gotten off to worst starts to the season than that...and the Bulls actually started 2-10 that season but would then win 5 of their next 7 and started to curb the constant losing.

KC Johnson detailed exactly what happened. Wallace and his agent, guy named Tellum (Albert Belle's agent and good friend of Reinsdorf) talked to Reinsdorf about Skiles...that is what happened...that was the problem. Hinrich's play was minuscule compared to the stuff Ben Wallace was pulling off from the start of the season. Not even close.

TheStig

Liked Posts:
Shakes wrote:
TheStig wrote:
I just don't see anyone ever building an offense around Deng. Skiles did everything he could to get him going and he still didn't crack 20ppg. Building an offense around Deng is like the kids who soup up their civics, sure it could be done but why the hell would you want too.

I don't think Skiles built an offense around Deng. If anything the criticsm of Skiles was that he'd run the same offense no matter who he had. I think it's more that Deng happened to be suited to that style of offense. So long as you don't expect him to shoot threes or go one on one, he's an excellent complementary player.

I could certainly see a championship team where Deng was the third scorer as well as giving them solid defense and rebounding and he'd earn his contract. I think we all agree that team isn't Chicago.

Hes not running the same offense in Milwaukee. His SF is bad and he actually has a pg who runs the whole show.

He can be a #3 in the right circumstances. Basically two prime time scorers, a noah type and a raja bell type. But in most championship teams, the number three has to create offense.