Bynum gets picked up by Pacers

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
So the Heat have Oden, the Pacers have Bynum. Who wins?

sicko

Liked Posts:
Probably did that just to keep the Heat from signing him which is smart actually

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
Bynum is a non-factor.

His career is basically over, he's just milking it.

BIGGIEsmalls 23

Liked Posts:
If.....If Bynum decided that he wanted to "actually" play basketball for the rest of this season, the Pacers would have 2 of the top 5 NBA Centers on their roster. They would win the championship this season.

This move is being underestimated by Bulls fans the same way they underestimated the Scola signing this Summer.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
If.....If Bynum decided that he wanted to "actually" play basketball for the rest of this season, the Pacers would have 2 of the top 5 NBA Centers on their roster. They would win the championship this season.

This move is being underestimated by Bulls fans the same way they underestimated the Scola signing this Summer.

Can't play back-to-backs. Mobility is completely non-existent. Player openly states, "I'm a shell of my former self." Clashed with teammates in Los Angeles and Cleveland.

And this guy is a Top 5 center in the league RIGHT NOW?

Hibbert, Noah, Ibaka, Aldridge, Jordan, Pekovic, Horford, Lopez, Sanders, Vučević, Howard, Bogut......

:andruw:

BIGGIEsmalls 23

Liked Posts:
Can't play back-to-backs. Mobility is completely non-existent. Player openly states, "I'm a shell of my former self." Clashed with teammates in Los Angeles and Cleveland.

And this guy is a Top 5 center in the league RIGHT NOW?

Hibbert, Noah, Ibaka, Aldridge, Jordan, Pekovic, Horford, Lopez, Sanders, Vučević, Howard, Bogut......

:andruw:
The issues that you're outlining are all related to one thing......He no longer cares about playing basketball. That's why I prefaced my post with these words below:

"If.....If Bynum decided that he wanted to "actually" play basketball for the rest of this season"

I honestly believe that he's capable of being a top NBA Center.....IF he wants to.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Center is horribly weak like its been since Shaq left. Shaq would have ate Howards lunch everyday. Bynum talent is still there. Its can the Pacers as a team tell him to shut the fuck up. Give us some minutes and lets go beat the Heat!

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
nah its not Bynum doesn't want to play its that he cant play

the injuries killed him....hes never getting back to what he did 2 years ago

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:

Sure, the Bulls waived him because they understimated him, right? Give me a break.

Andrew Bynum's image should be a on milk carton because he's been missing and presumed dead for the past two years.

He is not the player he once was with L.A. because his knees are shot.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
nah its not Bynum doesn't want to play its that he cant play

the injuries killed him....hes never getting back to what he did 2 years ago

Of course not, but he can still go in spurts. He is a deep bench player. Not the Starter.

BIGGIEsmalls 23

Liked Posts:
Sure, the Bulls waived him because they understimated him, right? Give me a break.

Andrew Bynum's image should be a on milk carton because he's been missing and presumed dead for the past two years.

He is not the player he once was with L.A. because his knees are shot.
We shall soon see.

I can envision the pacers playing Hibbert & Bynum on the court at the same time in spurts against Miami.

Diddy1122

I ain't your pal dickface
Liked Posts:
Andrew Bynum is 100% absolutely DONE as a player in this league. His knees cannot handle more than 15 minutes in a game and swell up when playing back to backs. If he did have a great work ethic & attitude, maybe he'd be able to squeak out a couple more seasons as a bench warmer/garbage minute player, but this notion that he can have a positive impact on the Pacers this year is ludicrous. I feel worse for Oden because he's extremely humble and never even had a shot at a career.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
With the Pacers making it official Saturday morning, we can turn now to the impact, of Indiana signing center Andrew Bynum to a one-year, $1 million contract (per Ken Berger of CBSSports.com).

Here are three lines of thoughts for why this deal makes sense for Indiana:

1. The 'Lotto Ticket' concept: The Cavalierssunk six times the money into Bynum without knowing if he'd ever play again. His experience in Cleveland provides both the confidence to sign him to this deal and a cautionary tale of Bynum. He was limited in the amount of minutes he could play, and when he was bad, he was awful. But when he was good, he was still way too big for any team to handle.

But he still burned his bridges there. He was such a problem that they chose to eat the salary rather than keep him and pay him the full $12 million. So the odds of this working out are not good. He has poor work ethic, a poor attitude, doesn't get along with people, and can't play extended minutes. He admitted to significant pain whenever he played.

This is not unlike playing the lottery once. In this analogy, the Pacers have managed their money well, they don't spend much in the way of extravagances. So their spending $5 dollars on a lottery ticket isn't going to hurt them. It's not a wise investment over time; basic math will tell you that. But it's also not going to hurt anything.

The idea with the Cavaliers was that they had the cap space so it didn't matter what they paid him. I disagreed on that front (though overall I supported the move). I'm always of the mind that even beyond cap indications, you need to get return on investment. Smart teams make the most of the money they spend. A $6 million dollar lottery ticket has the same odds as a $1 million lottery ticket, which is to say, not good. But the hit for Indiana is considerably less.

If they hit, it's a jackpot. If not, it's disappointment, but they have a lot less riding on it than Cleveland.

2. Indestructible locker room: So the big problem with Bynum is that he's a mess in the locker room. He disrespected Mike Brown in LA. He pretty much screwed over the Sixers by getting hurt bowling,for crying out loud. And whatever happened in Cleveland, it was enough for them to suspend and then dump him.

So if you're going to invite that kind of trouble in, why would you feel OK about it?

Because unlike a lot of organizations, the Pacers have a strong enough foundation to withstand any problems he may present. When Larry Legend looks you in the eye and says he's not going to put up with anything, you know it's true. That probably won't set Bynum straight, the guy has a history of just flat-out not caring. It's not as if his time with Kobe Bryant set him on a straight and narrow path. But it does reinforce to others on the roster that they don't have to be bothered by Bynum. They can ignore whatever distraction he may create because of their bond with each other.

That's part of what makes Indiana so good. Not only have they developed great in-house talent (Paul George, Roy Hibbert) but they've built it on character guys. Lance Stephenson is the only player with a significant history of issues off-court, and it's been dead silent on that front with him for two years. You don't have to be a "good guy" to make it in Indiana, you just have to do your job. And with consummate pro David West there, you're not going to have much choice.

They have the components to deal with any Bynum issues. And if he buys in, it's another win for an organization with a lot of them.

3. The Heat Postulate: So did Indiana sign him so that the Miami Heatwouldn't? Was that the plan, to keep a dangerous big man away from Miami to maintain their advantage down low?

Not likely. Miami probably could have found a way to trade for him or made a more compelling pitch if they wanted. And Indiana knows its primary target to counter is Miami, but they're also not going to compromise their own roster just to prevent a guy from signing with the Heat. Plus, Miami already has Greg Oden.

But there are factors to signing Bynum that have to do with the Heat. For starters, there's this: It's six more fouls. The Pacers know they have to foul LeBron James in the playoffs. They know they have to force Miami to the line and discourage the Heat from getting to the rim. Even if Bynum can't make the stellar rotation or block, he can give a hard foul (often too hard). And one of their problems has been foul trouble for Hibbert. With Bynum, they have 18 fouls to give the Heat inside with Hibbert and backup Ian Mahinmi.

Whether Bynum is a legitimate upgrade over Mahinmi is a serious question of debate. But if Mahinmi gives them 10 good minutes instead of 10 good minutes and 5 bad, and Bynum gives them five good minutes, that's still a bonus overall.

Then there are lineup shifts. If Mahinmi is struggling and they don't have Bynum, the Pacers might have to go with a smaller lineup vs. Miami if Hibbert's in foul trouble. But with Bynum, they can maintain their sizeable authority.

Finally, there are the trade implications. If Bynum can play, is not a problem and stays healthy (three big ifs), then the Pacers can look to move Mahinmi at the deadline. They've got the best team in the league, why would they do that? Because this organization remains focused on pursuing whatever it must to topple Miami. If adding another shooter helps them more than having both Bynum and Mahinmi, they'll look at it. Oh, and Mahinmi has two more seasons at a combined $8 million. That's money that can be spent on re-signing Stephenson.

Overall, the move has a lot of positive turns to it. Bynum could be a disaster, as he has been for the last two teams who have paid him. But Indiana can withstand it. If you're gunning for a title, you're going to have to take some chances. Signing Andrew Bynum is just another sign of how serious Indiana is at making a title run this season.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on...easons-for-the-pacers-signing-of-andrew-bynum

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
We shall soon see.

I can envision the pacers playing Hibbert & Bynum on the court at the same time in spurts against Miami.

Spurts and Bynum are mutually exclusive. He's always been a dog since he's been in the league.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Clearly equals a championship :elephant: