Byrds Nest: That’s how the game is played

Anno Catuli

World Series Dreaming
Liked Posts:
The dude was trying to break up a double play. Holliday plays hard. You have to appreciate the way he plays. He’s not labeled as a dirty player. He didn’t go spikes up. The only thing that made it look bad was that he slid late. That’s it. Whether he could reach the bag or not, I don’t know. If I’m in that situation, and I’m playing to win, trying to get to a pennant race, I’d do the same exact thing. Even though we’re second to last and in fifth place in this division, I still try to flip infielders. It’s as simple as that. I try to play winning baseball, and that’s all that is.

You call a play dirty when a guy is going out there trying to hurt somebody and that’s not what he did. If Holliday wants to go in and hurt somebody he will. He’s 6-4, 235, 240 pounds. That’s him playing hard. The way we take it when we see it is we want to defend our players at the time. When you go back and really look at it and how the game is played and how it should be played, there’s nothing wrong with that. If the umpires want to make their call and say he was too far off, so be it. Being dirty or being malicious, it’s not even close.

– Marlon

7/31 That’s how the game is played

Anno Catuli

World Series Dreaming
Liked Posts:
Byrd says he would do the same thing Holliday did.... interesting......

Will he get the same backlash Cub fans are giving Holliday?

Uman85

Oh Yeah.
Donator
Liked Posts:
Marlon Byrd is a dumbass. Plain and simple.

bobferg

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Like I said earlier. The only thing about that play that can be considered dirty is how late he slid. That is all.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
it was a bit late, but not malicious whatsoever. like what was said above, if holliday wanted to bulldoze castro he could have. I respect players who play hard. There are players that would just have ran a bit out of the way, because they dont give a fuck. il take holliday and his play all day.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
ESPN announcers called it dirty and say that Byrd should have shut his mouth, saying that you never should defend the other team publicly on a play made against your team.

ESPN announcer called it dirty, another one said at LEAST borderline and should have been an automatic double play for sure.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Maybe he's trying to get out of chicago, too.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
still...F holliday

i still think he's a douche

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
career .317 BA .390 OBP 194 HRs .933 OPS

Those are some solid numbers. He would look good on either chicago team. His defense isnt great but I will take him over any of the 6 outfielders in combinations between the sox and cubs all day long.

wait for it wait for it................someone will mention soriano I bet. :rolleyes:

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Same question, because of the slide on Castro?

If he wasn't a Cardinal I wouldn't care about that slide as much. But he's a Cardinal, so...

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Soriano should play 1B.

I think if Byrd had taken out Theriot on a similar play he would've been cheered from the rooftops :lol:

Anno Catuli

World Series Dreaming
Liked Posts:
If he wasn't a Cardinal I wouldn't care about that slide as much. But he's a Cardinal, so...

So because he did it as a Cardinal? Okay then. Just as long as you are not saying it because of the play, cause then you would need to say the same thing about Byrd who said he would do it too.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
So because he did it as a Cardinal? Okay then. Just as long as you are not saying it because of the play, cause then you would need to say the same thing about Byrd who said he would do it too.

I hate Byrd because he's still a Cub after the trade deadline. :dealwithit: