Caleb Williams (Franchise QB or next Ryan Leaf)

Xplosive

In the Land of the Blind the One Eyed Fan Is Neggd
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
Points the same. We need a QB more then a athlete. Being athletic is secondary. A nice side dish but not the meal. The meal is a true QB. Allen is both.
😂

Canth

Liked Posts:

He doesn't make shit up and state them in absolute terms like Cowherd, but at least he has a decent reputation as a non fucking idiot.

Is the combine the first time that the Bears are allowed, officially at least, to talk to the various QB prospects? I think that is the case, but I cannot remember if they have to wait until the combine or just until after the Superbowl.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Basically it comes down to bears evaluation on whether Williams will be a bear or not. So same situation as when the Bears locked up the #1 pick back in December

I jus thought it would be good for the "haters' to read as it answers a lot of the basic questions about stuff like his dad, the nails, if he's a good teammate and the other stuff that's been swirling for months.

Yogi

Liked Posts:

He doesn't make shit up and state them in absolute terms like Cowherd, but at least he has a decent reputation as a non fucking idiot.

The trading period for the new league year doesn't open until March 13th, so it'll still be a week+ after the combine until we know anything.

I guess info could leak early, but looking at some other major offseason trades like Matt Stafford, Sam Darnold, Jay Cutler, etc, there weren't early leaks and they were announced in the weeks between the start of free agency and before the draft. And I'm not sure how tampering plays a role in all of that either.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
The trading period for the new league year doesn't open until March 13th, so it'll still be a week+ after the combine until we know anything.

I guess info could leak early, but looking at some other major offseason trades like Matt Stafford, Sam Darnold, Jay Cutler, etc, there weren't early leaks and they were announced in the weeks between the start of free agency and before the draft. And I'm not sure how tampering plays a role in all of that either.
Actually the Stafford deal went down nearly 2 months before the start of the league year. It was announced in January

Yogi

Liked Posts:
Actually the Stafford deal went down nearly 2 months before the start of the league year. It was announced in January

Ah yeah you're right- I guess it was just the official releases from the Rams and NFL that had to reference March 18th, but it was indeed announced by Rapoport and others in January.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
One of the more interesting arguments:

"This last point is very important: If Williams is drafted by a team that gives up a haul to get him, it will hurt that organization’s draft capital for at least half of Williams’ rookie deal, if not longer. Just look at the consequences of the Carolina Panthers’ trade for the No. 1 pick last year. It greatly hurt Bryce Young’s chances to succeed as a rookie. As a result, the Chicago Bears are the only team currently able to draft Williams AND immediately add another highly drafted prospect with the No. 9 overall pick. "

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
One of the more interesting arguments:

"This last point is very important: If Williams is drafted by a team that gives up a haul to get him, it will hurt that organization’s draft capital for at least half of Williams’ rookie deal, if not longer. Just look at the consequences of the Carolina Panthers’ trade for the No. 1 pick last year. It greatly hurt Bryce Young’s chances to succeed as a rookie. As a result, the Chicago Bears are the only team currently able to draft Williams AND immediately add another highly drafted prospect with the No. 9 overall pick. "
Another good point in that article is how well Waldron knows Williams working with the QB Collective where Williams has been training for years. I guess Kingsbury is not the only OC with an in to Williams.