Calling all Guitar players

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
have you tried hammer-ons?
I think I am better at hammer ons and pull offs on the same string than I am at changing notes that you have to pick. Especially notes on different strings. It just takes me longer.

Also, a lot of heavier songs incorporate the palm mute on the open low E. I struggle to play that to give the rough intended sound.

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I think I am better at hammer ons and pull offs on the same string than I am at changing notes that you have to pick. Especially notes on different strings. It just takes me longer.

Also, a lot of heavier songs incorporate the palm mute on the open low E. I struggle to play that to give the rough intended sound.

If you want to master the palm mute with a heavy sound, Learn "for whom the bell tolls" by metallica- lots of down picked palm mute shit that can be learned in bite sized pieces. THe left hand is not overly complex so you can focus on the picking.
Also, the solo is simplistic- the lead over the intro is a repeating pattern that should speed up your fingers.

Hell- the entire ride the lightning album is a metal guitar 101 lesson. Get the tab and spend a few hours a week on it, you can learn the whole album lead and rhythm in a few months, I promise. The whole album is pretty much written in the same chord progression and scales.

* edit- If you do not want to go after a full album, the song Sanitarium on Master of puppets is a one stop shop for a shit ton of metal guitar techniques. Manage that one lead and rhythm and you are set. Completely accessible for beginners.

Last edited:

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
If you want to master the palm mute with a heavy sound, Learn "for whom the bell tolls" by metallica- lots of down picked palm mute shit that can be learned in bite sized pieces. THe left hand is not overly complex so you can focus on the picking.
Also, the solo is simplistic- the lead over the intro is a repeating pattern that should speed up your fingers.

Hell- the entire ride the lightning album is a metal guitar 101 lesson. Get the tab and spend a few hours a week on it, you can learn the whole album lead and rhythm in a few months, I promise. The whole album is pretty much written in the same chord progression and scales.

* edit- If you do not want to go after a full album, the song Sanitarium on Master of puppets is a one stop shop for a shit ton of metal guitar techniques. Manage that one lead and rhythm and you are set. Completely accessible for beginners.
I should try For Whom the Bell Tolls. I remember that song being the easiest Metallica song on their Guitar Hero game haha.

Actually, I can play the main verse and chorus on Seek and Destroy. Then when it picks up tempo right before the solo, I get lost unfortunately.

I will try Ride the Lightning. Fade to Black is one of my favorite songs ever.

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I should try For Whom the Bell Tolls. I remember that song being the easiest Metallica song on their Guitar Hero game haha.

Actually, I can play the main verse and chorus on Seek and Destroy. Then when it picks up tempo right before the solo, I get lost unfortunately.

I will try Ride the Lightning. Fade to Black is one of my favorite songs ever.
you have some taste.
Fade to black was the first song I was ever able to play and sing at the same time.
I struggled with multitasking.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
For Whom the Bell Tolls is an awesome starter metal song! I love how the power chords switch back to quarter notes after the palm mutes so I don't have to rush. Solo is the perfect speed for me to practice without feeling out of my league. Thanks for the recommendation, don't know how I overlooked this gem.

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
For Whom the Bell Tolls is an awesome starter metal song! I love how the power chords switch back to quarter notes after the palm mutes so I don't have to rush. Solo is the perfect speed for me to practice without feeling out of my league. Thanks for the recommendation, don't know how I overlooked this gem.
That whole album and much of master of puppets is in the same key and roughly same basic scales and technique.

Bang out fade to black, it is an easy learn.... then try sanitarium- same starting position, same progression, but it throws in some slides and movement.

You will be shredding in no time!

...stay away from early Metallica unless your right hand is looking for a challenge...that shit is rough!

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
That whole album and much of master of puppets is in the same key and roughly same basic scales and technique.

Bang out fade to black, it is an easy learn.... then try sanitarium- same starting position, same progression, but it throws in some slides and movement.

You will be shredding in no time!

...stay away from early Metallica unless your right hand is looking for a challenge...that shit is rough!
So when you play a song like Fade to Black that has multiple harmonies, is that were you need to have a pedal to switch back and forth? I notice that James is playing acoustic while Kirk is on lead distortion. Or do you just decide who you want to play?

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
So when you play a song like Fade to Black that has multiple harmonies, is that were you need to have a pedal to switch back and forth? I notice that James is playing acoustic while Kirk is on lead distortion. Or do you just decide who you want to play?

Yeah- you do need a pedal.
Set the amp for your clean sound..maybe a touch of reverb and delay.
Then if you have the pedal with the amp and it can swap between channels you set the distortion and let er rip.
Back in the day I had 2 distortion pedals and a "crunch" pedal and just set those for different combinations. One, the other, both, allows a variety of severity.

Metallica overall just switched between a clean and heavy for the most part so a single distortion would do you fine.

...on an exercise note....I never advocate ac/DC for anything...but the opening for thunderstruck is a great and simple hammer on and pull off excercise that can be done while drinking a beer with your right hand. Decent for unamplified practice.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Yeah- you do need a pedal.
Set the amp for your clean sound..maybe a touch of reverb and delay.
Then if you have the pedal with the amp and it can swap between channels you set the distortion and let er rip.
Back in the day I had 2 distortion pedals and a "crunch" pedal and just set those for different combinations. One, the other, both, allows a variety of severity.

Metallica overall just switched between a clean and heavy for the most part so a single distortion would do you fine.

...on an exercise note....I never advocate ac/DC for anything...but the opening for thunderstruck is a great and simple hammer on and pull off excercise that can be done while drinking a beer with your right hand. Decent for unamplified practice.
A pedal might have to be a Christmas present for moi. It's motivating when I see and hear myself progress and I feel that I can benefit from equipment upgrades.

Speaking of AC/DC, I think TNT might have been the first thing I ever tried playing... that or Deep Purple with Smoke on the Water. Just because it sounded so simple.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
A pedal might have to be a Christmas present for moi (that I would pick out ofcourse ;). It's motivating when I see and hear myself progress and I feel that I can benefit from equipment upgrades.

Speaking of AC/DC, I think TNT might have been the first thing I ever tried playing... that or Deep Purple with Smoke on the Water. Just because it sounded so simple.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I would be curious if anyone knows how to deal with a bent truss rod. I have a tele that I bought out of a pawn shop that came with a bent truss rod but is otherwise perfect. Problem is, no matter how many times I get the harmonics readjusted, etc., the high E ends up being a half step flat on the 12th fret. I don't want to replace it because it would fuck with the original makeup, but I pretty much have to avoid that end of the fretboard if I don't want to sound like a total asshole

Nail Polish

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would be curious if anyone knows how to deal with a bent truss rod. I have a tele that I bought out of a pawn shop that came with a bent truss rod but is otherwise perfect. Problem is, no matter how many times I get the harmonics readjusted, etc., the high E ends up being a half step flat on the 12th fret. I don't want to replace it because it would fuck with the original makeup, but I pretty much have to avoid that end of the fretboard if I don't want to sound like a total asshole
Ole...Fixing them depends on the specific issue..Ask a qualified Luthier..If not, call Fender and see what they say...I dont think that replacing the truss rod would affect the value or standing of a vintage instrument..They go thru repairs all the time

1-844-202-0924

Check this video out...Its for a Gibson, but I'm sure Fender is similar.This guy is a genius when it comes to repairing instruments..He works for Stewmac..His name is Dan Erlewine..Maybe call him and ask..G/L!

I found a video for a Fender

These guys know their stuff..

https://www.thirdcoastguitar.com/

159 N Racine..Chicago

Last edited:

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Ole...Fixing them depends on the specific issue..Ask a qualified Luthier..If not, call Fender and see what they say...I dont think that replacing the truss rod would affect the value or standing of a vintage instrument..They go thru repairs all the time

1-844-202-0924

Check this video out...Its for a Gibson, but I'm sure Fender is similar.This guy is a genius when it comes to repairing instruments..He works for Stewmac..His name is Dan Erlewine..Maybe call him and ask..G/L!

I found a video for a Fender

These guys know their stuff..

https://www.thirdcoastguitar.com/

159 N Racine..Chicago
lol they are literally across the street from my office, small world. and thanks, @BearsBud will check them out. I don't know what the deal is; I have been trying to get it fixed since 1987, but never tried getting it replaced.

Last edited:

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Chicago music exchange is a pretty good place for all things guitars ?