Cam Meredith is a better athlete than Kevin White

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
After the injury news from yesterday I thought I would look into the replacement for Kevin White, Cam Meredith. I was shocked to find that Meredith is arguably the better athlete between the 2.

I am not sure what that says about Kevin White as a top pick, for me it does say a lot. But it does say that we may have something with Cam Meredith, who has continued to make catches.

I think the argument can be made that Meredith has similar athletic upside.

Kevin White

6'3"
215lbs.

4.35 [40]
1.53 [10]

23 Reps

36.5" vert
10'3" broad

4.14 20 yard shuttle
6.92 3 cone

Cameron Meredith

6'3"
207lbs.

4.49 [40]
1.51 [10]

14 Reps

39" vert
10'7" broad

4.12 20 yard shuttle
6.71 3 cone

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Come on down!!

More proof Ryan Pace is an idiot.

I am going to watch Merideth college highlights. I bet I find more receiving skills on display than that bum. I can't get behind a GM that takes such high risk first rounders.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Mojo mentioned that there would not be a drop off between Meredith and White.

I wanted to look into that.

What I found was that Meredith is absolutely as special an athlete as White. He needs polish obviously, but my god the athletic traits are there.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
when did you happen to conclude this?

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
[video=youtube;ZNwSZV4v5aE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNwSZV4v5aE[/video]

converted QB also.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Cam Meredith was not at the NFL Combine.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Mojo mentioned that there would not be a drop off between Meredith and White.

I wanted to look into that.

What I found was that Meredith is absolutely as special an athlete as White. He needs polish obviously, but my god the athletic traits are there.

yeah...thats encouraging. There is reason to develop he can just step into his opportunity and develop faster and be smarter and make us forget.

It sure felt like all White was was an athlete, and so this can't be worse.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I know we were excited about White's athletic upside, but I think that we can be just as excited about Meredith's athletic upside.

As a converted QB, he is raw like White, but these reps could reveal something.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
Cam Meredith was not at the NFL Combine.

That's true, so you can't really compare the 40 times or splits and agility drills but the jumps should be accurate.

Merideth is definitely a great athlete, though, and it's by no means a stretch to say he's got a similar athletic profile to White. I believe he only played receiver his senior year after being a backup quarterback.

Willis1524

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
What was supposed to be good about White was his speed. He didn't appear to have that same speed this year. Hopefully Meredith does something with this opportunity.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
That's true, so you can't really compare the 40 times or splits and agility drills but the jumps should be accurate.

Merideth is definitely a great athlete, though, and it's by no means a stretch to say he's got a similar athletic profile to White. I believe he only played receiver his senior year after being a backup quarterback.

So we have two highly athletic WR's who can't run routes? Maybe it's just me, but Meredith certainly doesn't play or look more athletic then White was playing.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
So we have two highly athletic WR's who can't run routes? Maybe it's just me, but Meredith certainly doesn't play or look more athletic then White was playing.

We have seen him catch 17 balls.

We are going to see a lot more, and whether it translates with more exposure.

The big complaint about White is that we were not seeing the elite speed.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

but the question is still can one or both of them or neither learn to run routes?

The answer could just as likely be Merideth at the end of the day, and given that he was a QB I'm guessing he understands routes and can learn.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
What was supposed to be good about White was his speed. He didn't appear to have that same speed this year. Hopefully Meredith does something with this opportunity.

Meredith at 4.49 is decent, but not special long speed.

It is the explosive numbers that are very interesting. A faster 10 yard split, and elite jump numbers could translate into more field speed and speed off the line.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
I dont think he is going to do well enough this year to give cause to give up on White, but he might give Pace an excuse to try to trade away Wilson. He had a pretty good preseason, so hopefully he can build upon that.

Ej63090

Anti-Exultant Cruise Dire
Liked Posts:
Come on down!!

More proof Ryan Pace is an idiot.

I am going to watch Merideth college highlights. I bet I find more receiving skills on display than that bum. I can't get behind a GM that takes such high risk first rounders.

Why bash Pace for screwing up a first rounder pick, IMO not his fault entirely, if he replaces that with a UDFA?

Many were unhappy with leaving Vernon Hargreaves on the board but look at the value we are getting from UDFA Callahan?

I can't speak for not taking Laremy Tunsil, but I understand the knee jerk reaction there.

What if Meredith and White both become great players?

I don't mind a draft strategy of taking home runs swings in the first and becoming more conservative in the other picks. Fact of the matter is special athletes provide he highest floors and ceilings. These are not Shea Mac picks.

Bobbie Massie is Pace's biggest disaster. Next season will tell us if the QB position will become that.

I was hoping to see more reps from Meredith, I have a lot of family that went to ISU so it is great to see a possible great NFL player from there.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
40 time means absolutely nothing once you're on the field in pads.

Agreed, but now we get a chance to see if Meredith can develop into a real starting WR. A silver lining to the White injury.