Can Cutler be Elway?

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Jim Brown doesn't have much to his postseason career. 4 games total, 1 championship win. He did get 114 yards in the win, but the story of the game was Gary Collins' 3 TD catches. The old time players just don't have as many games, so they never really look good in these postseason numbers.

No one can match Davis' yards per postseason game numbers...not even Timmy Smith. John Riggins still holds the record for most rushing yards in a single postseason, but he was aided by the weird 1982 postseason format that let him play in 4 games, although he did rush for 152 yards per game.

Davis only appeared in 3 postseasons, with the first postseason being a huge upset loss to Jacksonville, but he had great games during Denver's 2 Super Bowl runs. Guys like Franco Harris, Emmitt Smith, Thurman Thomas have more postseason yards, but their teams always made the postseason. The only RB who is similar to Davis is Steve van Buren of the 1940's Eagles. He appeared in 3 championship games, winning two, and being the main player in both wins...98 yards and a TD in a 7-0 win over the Cards in a snowstorm, 196 yards in a 14-0 win over the Rams in a rainstorm.

Outstanding research- thank you.
The yards per game against some pretty badass competition is absolutely stunning.
What a damn shame that his body betrayed him.

Bort

Liked Posts:
Elways interception percentage vs. the average on each season-
83- 5.7- Average team- 4.4- 1.3% below average
84- 3.9- Average team- 4.1- 0.2% above average
85- 3.8- Average team- 4.2- 0.4% above average
86- 2.6- Average team- 4.0- 1.4% above average
87- 2.9- Average team- 4.0- 1.1% above average
88- 3.8- Average team- 3.9- 0.1% above average
89- 4.3- Average team- 3.9- 0.4% below average
90- 2.8- Average team- 3.6- 0.8 above average
91- 2.7- Average team- 3.5- 0.8 above average
92- 5.4- average team- 3.9- 1.5% below average
93- 1.8- Average team- 3.3- 1.5% above average
94- 2.0- Average team- 3.1- 1.1% above average
95- 2.6- Average team- 3.1- 0.5% above average
96- 3.0- Average team- 3.4- 0.4% above average
97- 2.2- Average team- 3.0- 0.8% above average
98- 2.8- Average team- 3.3- 0.5% above average

In 16 seasons, Elway was below the average interception percentage 3 times. 13 years above average.

Now Jay-
06- 3.6- Average team- 3.2- 0.4% below average
07- 3.0- Average team- 3.1- 0.1% above average
08- 2.9- Average team- 2.8- 0.1% below average
09- 4.7- Average team- 3.1- 1.6% below average
10- 3.7- Average team- 3.0- 0.7% below average
11- 2.2- Average team- 2.9- 0.9 above average
12- 3.2- Average team- 2.6- 0.1% below average
13- 3.4- Average team- 2.8- 0.6% below average
14- 3.2- Average team- 2.5- 0.7% below average
15- 2.3- average team- 2.4- 0.1% above average

That is 3 years above average, 7 below.

DAMNIT, YOU FUCKING MINDLESS THANKBANGING RETARDS, HOW HAS NOBODY NOTICED THAT HE GOT THE NUMBERS BACKWARDS???

IN 16 SEASONS ELWAY HAD BETTER THAN AVERAGE INT% 13 TIMES AND WORSE THAN AVERAGE INT% 3 TIMES

IN 10 SEASONS CUTLER HAD BETTER THAN AVERAGE INT% 3 TIMES and WORSE THAN AVERAGE INT% 7 TIMES.

EVERYONE IN THIS THREAD IS Special person EXCEPT ME.

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:
I didn't start anything airtime, stop kissing ass to the guy

Personally I just love how you attempt to gloat over "this is the year" predictions in regards to Jay being replaced.. meanwhile you're the guy who's been giving us the same failed "this is the year" predictions in regards to Jay having a break out season for the past 7 years. You are in no position to be gloating about anything lol.

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
DAMNIT, YOU FUCKING MINDLESS THANKBANGING RETARDS, HOW HAS NOBODY NOTICED THAT HE GOT THE NUMBERS BACKWARDS???

IN 16 SEASONS ELWAY HAD BETTER THAN AVERAGE INT% 13 TIMES AND WORSE THAN AVERAGE INT% 3 TIMES

IN 10 SEASONS CUTLER HAD BETTER THAN AVERAGE INT% 3 TIMES and WORSE THAN AVERAGE INT% 7 TIMES.

EVERYONE IN THIS THREAD IS Special person EXCEPT ME.

The wording could have been a little more clear on my part- Worse and better would have better choices.

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:
He's gone for the next 3 weeks.

tumblr_n67t36Sbgb1txt67qo1_500.gif

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I think he should be in the HOF. He's kind of like the Kurt Warner of RBs...I don't know if its still true, but Kurt Warner had the top 3 passing performances in Super Bowl history, and he appeared in 3 Super Bowls. People thought Warner was a 'system QB' much like Davis was a 'system RB', but their postseason success set them apart from the guys that followed them.

To me, Davis was the RB who most reminded me of Payton. Such a ferocious runner that got the maximum amount of yardage out of each play. His running style is what probably cut his career short, but he was a great player.

I am fairly certain that Warner has the highest post season passer rating of any QB with more than 5 or so post season games... I dont like Warner, his wife is creepy, and I get tired of his story.... but I cannot dispute that he was outstanding in the post season and would not argue him in the HOF at all.

As for davis in the HOF... his shitty luck and short career are massive strikes against him... but man, His post season numbers and success, the way he carried the team, He should be an exception.
Yeah, there were a lot of 1 or 2 year wonders who flamed out in the history of the league... but Davis was just amazing. I would cheer my ass off if he made it in.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am fairly certain that Warner has the highest post season passer rating of any QB with more than 5 or so post season games... I dont like Warner, his wife is creepy, and I get tired of his story.... but I cannot dispute that he was outstanding in the post season and would not argue him in the HOF at all.

He's second to Bart Starr.
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/pass_rating_career_playoffs.htm

Alex Smith is 4th(?!?!)

Mark Sanchez is 7th(?!?!!?)

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
He does hold the top 3 positions in passing yards, but I'm not sure that qualifies as "best 3 games"

Impressive, none the less.

As for total passer rating post season wise... I remember cycling through the top post season passers by yardage just recently and of all of them I looked at- top 25 or so- and Warner had the top rating with Brees a close second.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Small sample sizes can yield strange statistics...

:dontsay:

But if someone had told you Alex Smith and Mark Sanchez were both Top 10 in playoff passer rating all time, regardless of knowing small sample sizes yields odd results, I don't think you'd believe them for a second. Especially Sanchez.

Bort

Liked Posts:
:dontsay:

But if someone had told you Alex Smith and Mark Sanchez were both Top 10 in playoff passer rating all time, regardless of knowing small sample sizes yields odd results, I don't think you'd believe them for a second. Especially Sanchez.

You literally just told me that in this thread, and I believed you.

dabears584

Bears Fan For Life TT&T
Liked Posts:
Dumb question. No, they are two completely different people with completely different personalities and traits from two completely different eras and teams. Insert another mediocre quarterback and ask if they can be Joe Montana or Tom Brady, while you're at it!