Carlos Marmol to Dodgers

chibears55

Liked Posts:
The Dodgers are closing in on a trade to acquire Carlos Marmol from the Cubs, according to Bruce Levine of ESPN Chicago. Marmol was designated for assignment by the Cubs last week.

There are some hurdles left, as the Dodgers are on Marmol's limited no-trade list, and he's owed about $5MM for the rest of the season. The Dodgers are expected to absorb some of the salary and it's unclear which player or players might be heading to Chicago, according to Levine.

Marmol has a 3.50 ERA with a healthy 11.7 K/9 in 542 1/3 career innings, but he's also averaged 6.1 walks per nine innings pitched. Those command problems have worsened over the past two seasons, and his strikeout rate has dropped in 2013. He is in the final season of a three-year, $21MM extension he signed in early 2011.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

looks like someone willing to give the cubs something for marmol

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
It took a DFA to open the market. If the Cubs knew that, he would have been DFA last season.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Given that it is the Dodgers, it is probably some salary relief that the Cubs are getting. I doubt the Cubs getting any actual bodies back for Marmol from anyone.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Given that it is the Dodgers, it is probably some salary relief that the Cubs are getting. I doubt the Cubs getting any actual bodies back for Marmol from anyone.

yes, my guess it will be a low end player how low will depend on how much of the 5 mil the dodgers take on. they also need to clear the hurdle of marmol having the dodgers on his NOtrade list.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am guessing the Cubs only have to pick up part of the tab and they get a PTBNL that turns into a small cash settlement at the end of the year. I would be shocked to get any short of warm body back for Carlos Marmol. Interesting idea would be taking on Matt Guerrier since he was DFA'd by the Dodgers recently as well.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I am guessing the Cubs only have to pick up part of the tab and they get a PTBNL that turns into a small cash settlement at the end of the year. I would be shocked to get any short of warm body back for Carlos Marmol. Interesting idea would be taking on Matt Guerrier since he was DFA'd by the Dodgers recently as well.

It wouldnt surprise me if he might be part of a matt garza deal

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Sports talk live says there are 5 teams interested indealing for marmol..

I said before, there are always teams that are in the race who would look to add a veteran bullpen arm..
if there are 5 teams, cubs are sure to get player(s) back in return

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Sports talk live says there are 5 teams interested indealing for marmol..

I said before, there are always teams that are in the race who would look to add a veteran bullpen arm..
if there are 5 teams, cubs are sure to get player(s) back in return

I'd have to guess that if the Cubs received Chris Volstad for Carlos Zambrano and the Cubs ate his salary, that they would be doing great if the got LA's batboy in exchange for Marmol.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
just heard that steve clevenger was sent back to his hotel in IOWA and wait for words.. not expected to be a call up, i wonder if he part of the marmol deal.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
just heard that steve clevenger was sent back to his hotel in IOWA and wait for words.. not expected to be a call up, i wonder if he part of the marmol deal.

Great! That means we can get the bat boy and the ball boy.

Stupid Dodgers. Don't they realize what they might be giving up?

mountsalami

Liked Posts:

Sounds like the makings of another blockbuster type of deal that we have grown used to seeing from our Boy Blunders.

Good thing Dan Haren is injured.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:

That is a possibility, but supposedly on Kaplan's radio show Theo Epstein described a potential Marmol trade as minor. Florida has apparently been interested in acquiring Clevenger.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
That is a possibility, but supposedly on Kaplan's radio show Theo Epstein described a potential Marmol trade as minor. Florida has apparently been interested in acquiring Clevenger.

guess there nothing wrong with adding players to the low end, especially when their going to be doing some promotions as they make some deals

I also read that the cubs may take on most of the 5 mil owed to get a player which they said may be someone the dodgers just took off their roster

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Word is that the Carlos Marmol to Dodgers deal could be finalized soon. Guessing that it involves either a recently DFA bad Dodger reliever (Guerrier or Moylan) and/or interntional bonus money.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Marmol trade is official. More complicated than originally reported:
Marmol trade to Dodgers official. Cubs gets Guerrier. Dodgers also get No. 4 intl signing binus slot. Cubs send Torreyes to Houston.
from Paul Sullivan

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Not bad at all..

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not entirely sure why we did this one actually...