Carlos Marmol to Dodgers

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Cubs gonna spend money on int'l 'spects it appears.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Getting the international slot money for Torreyes seems pretty straight forward. I am just at a loss for why the Cubs would feel the need to give up international pool money for the right to get Guerrier as opposed to just releasing Marmol.

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
Getting the international slot money for Torreyes seems pretty straight forward. I am just at a loss for why the Cubs would feel the need to give up international pool money for the right to get Guerrier as opposed to just releasing Marmol.

We essentially gave the Dodgers 3/4 of the spending money the O's gave us... not sure why we did that.

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
We essentially gave the Dodgers 3/4 of the spending money the O's gave us... not sure why we did that.

closer to half...but still a valid point.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/07/astros-acquire-ronald-torreyes.html
The Cubs acquired two of the Astros' international bonus pool slots for minor league second baseman Ronald Torreyes, tweets Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times. The Cubs announced they received slots 2 and 3 from the Astros, which amount to $784,700. So far the Cubs' net pool money gain is $963,100 today, bringing their total to $5,520,300 barring more moves. They added $388,100 from the Orioles and sent $209,700 to the Dodgers.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:

The Cubs still gained and sent someone away that wasn't going to be with the Cubs next year anyways.

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Yeah cause a whole $5M on international prospects is a much better way to improve the ballclub over signing some legitimate quality FA's.*

* = 100% baseball related content

no one said it was. keep trollin'. your schtick is old.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah cause a whole $5M on international prospects is a much better way to improve the ballclub over signing some legitimate quality FA's.*

Business side its the best. Why its being done

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

This isn't a case of Cubs being cheap. This is a case of they can only have so much money to spend. I don't see how they relate.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
This isn't a case of Cubs being cheap. This is a case of they can only have so much money to spend. I don't see how they relate.

they actualy made a couple of moves that added money to their pool which enabled them to land the no.2 and 16 best players available, along with adding a 3rd player and still have the most money available to sign the no. 1 player in Eloy Jimenez.

when the young outfielder hits in the batting cages, throws from the outfield and runs the bases, it is clear that Jimenez is unlike anyone his age.

When he's between the baselines, Jimenez transforms from a tall and awkward teenager trying to find his way in the world into a 6-foot-4, 198-pound specimen who knows exactly what he wants to do with his life.

Jimenez, the latest crown jewel of Dominican Republic baseball, is ranked No. 1 on MLB.com's list of Top 30 International Prospects. He has an ideal profile for an outfielder and is widely regarded as the prize of this year's signing class.

"It's my dream to be a Major League baseball player, but I don't want to just get there," Jimenez said in Spanish. "I want to be one of the best players in the game and to ever come from the Dominican Republic."

The first goal for Jimenez and teenage prospects like him is to sign with a big league club, which they can begin doing when the international signing period begins on July 2. The next step would be to enter a big league academy in the Dominican Republic. Usually after two years, the organization that runs the academy will decide if the prospect is ready to start playing in the Minor Leagues. It's not uncommon for an international prospect to begin his pro career in the U.S. at 17.

3:30pm: The Cubs have also inked Colombian right-hander Erling Moreno for $800K, according to Badler. Moreno ranked as BA's No. 16 prospect and MLB.com's No. 17 prospect. The 6'3", 190-pound 16-year-old has touched 90 mph with his fastball and projects to become a power pitcher down the road.

10:59am: The Cubs made a big international signing today, inking 16-year-old Venezuelan shortstop Gleyber Torres to a $1.7MM deal according to MLB.com's Jesse Sanchez. Torres ranked second among international prospects on the list from Baseball America's Ben Badler, and third on MLB.com's list. The Cubs also signed Dominican righty Jefferson Mejia for $850K today, but still have plenty to spend given their $4,557,200 pool.

Torres has "the potential for five average or better tools," wrote Badler, who noted that he has drawn comparisons to Freddy Sanchez.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
they actualy made a couple of moves that added money to their pool which enabled them to land the no.2 and 16 best players available, along with adding a 3rd player and still have the most money available to sign the no. 1 player in Eloy Jimenez.

You guys realize that these players wont matter for 5+ more years right??? IF they make it to the show very good chance Theo and Jed wont be around to see it as Cub FO

CSF77

Liked Posts:
You guys realize that these players wont matter for 5+ more years right??? IF they make it to the show very good chance Theo and Jed wont be around to see it as Cub FO

They were hired to revamp the farm system. They have 5 years to stock up. On these kids. 5 years is pretty legit for a time table. 2 years in the Dom. Facility then hit A ball year 3 at 18. Still could be at AAA 21. But to the main point. The Rickett's wanted to Cubs to run at mid sized cost. Other words run at the Cost level that the Braves and the Cards run at. They were never planning to run at major market costs. So the hire was with the intention to create a farm system that is able to sustain these lower costs vs having to invest into F/A. Now we as fans can agree or disagree with this. That is fine but it won't change nothing. Basically if you want a major market then go follow one. Don't expect the Ricketts to do it. They will sell before that happen IMO.

chibears55

Liked Posts:

sure i understand that, but today was the day they and MLB were able to sign the top under 18 international talent and the cubs did a pretty good job at what they did today and are the favorite to land the top player of the bunch.. so, nothing wrong with being happy for their accomplishments today.

as far as theo and jed goes, i find it hard to believe that rickett wont extend theo contract seeing that they are doing exactly what was planned.
2 yrs in and the minor league system is improved with both quantity and quality of talent, with more to be added soon

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
They were hired to revamp the farm system. They have 5 years to stock up. On these kids. 5 years is pretty legit for a time table. 2 years in the Dom. Facility then hit A ball year 3 at 18. Still could be at AAA 21. But to the main point. The Rickett's wanted to Cubs to run at mid sized cost. Other words run at the Cost level that the Braves and the Cards run at. They were never planning to run at major market costs. So the hire was with the intention to create a farm system that is able to sustain these lower costs vs having to invest into F/A. Now we as fans can agree or disagree with this. That is fine but it won't change nothing. Basically if you want a major market then go follow one. Don't expect the Ricketts to do it. They will sell before that happen IMO.

agree with you 100% but its BULLSHIT that Team still expecting Cub fans to pay like its big market. Charge highest ticket prices in NL.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
sure i understand that, but today was the day they and MLB were able to sign the top under 18 international talent and the cubs did a pretty good job at what they did today and are the favorite to land the top player of the bunch.. so, nothing wrong with being happy for their accomplishments today.

as far as theo and jed goes, i find it hard to believe that rickett wont extend theo contract seeing that they are doing exactly what was planned.
2 yrs in and the minor league system is improved with both quantity and quality of talent, with more to be added soon

I have hard time believing IF Cubs are still losing in Theo last yr of deal that he gets extended. Fans will want to see progress MLB level by 2015

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:

Yep, everything is going as planned so far, mid market for a few more years.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I have hard time believing IF Cubs are still losing in Theo last yr of deal that he gets extended. Fans will want to see progress MLB level by 2015

depends on if ricketts opens up the payroll by then ( which he better ) and allows theo / jed to start bringing in legit FAs

Flacco4Prez

Liked Posts:
How the fuck did we get any player in return? Guerrier has actually been really good out of the pen in the past and has been much better than Marmol this year. Not to mention Cubs will only be paying $500,000 out of the $5 million left in his deal. IDK how the hell that happened but not bad at all.

Nothing exciting but a hell of a lot more than I expected.