What be score now?

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
With the SAVE :lol:

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
In fact if we wouldn't have hit a two run shot in the 9th, he would have blown it.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Smart move -- Gotta hope Marmol has a solid April/May so Detroit or some team w/ injuries in the bullpen comes calling and offers a decent 'spect.

ChicagoGr

Liked Posts:
Or - and that's the most likely to happen scenario - Marmol has a terrible April/May and blows half of the games.
It's a risk I wouldn't take

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Or - and that's the most likely to happen scenario - Marmol has a terrible April/May and blows half of the games.

Why not? The Cubs aren't going anywhere in 2013 and there does not appear to be anyone younger.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Smart move -- Gotta hope Marmol has a solid April/May so Detroit or some team w/ injuries in the bullpen comes calling and offers a decent 'spect.

Sorry X, this guy below says it best.

To me, even though the Cubs aren't expected to win this year, they should still be trying to win games, not build up guys to trade them etc.

:shrug:

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

Why not? The Cubs aren't going anywhere in 2013 and there does not appear to be anyone younger.

Sorry X, this guy below says it best.

To me, even though the Cubs aren't expected to win this year, they should still be trying to win games, not build up guys to trade them etc.

:shrug:

You try to win games w/ who you have, though. Right now, if Marmol's not closing, we're turning the closer position over to Kyuji Fujikawa. We know nothing about this dude. He's being groomed to be the closer -- not thrown in to the toughest job in baseball to start off his MLB career. I like him, and I think he'll have moderate success, but if this dude went out instead of Marmol on two of those first three games and got shelled and got the loss, what's that doing to his psyche?

Use Marmol until you can't anymore. Get what you can for him at the deadline. If no one comes calling w/ a reasonable offer by the trade deadline, then you move him to the pen and have a real expensive bullpen arm for the rest of the year and see if HujiKuji can hack it at closer after a few months of "seasoning".

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You try to win games w/ who you have, though. Right now, if Marmol's not closing, we're turning the closer position over to Kyuji Fujikawa. We know nothing about this dude. He's being groomed to be the closer -- not thrown in to the toughest job in baseball to start off his MLB career. I like him, and I think he'll have moderate success, but if this dude went out instead of Marmol on two of those first three games and got shelled and got the loss, what's that doing to his psyche?

Use Marmol until you can't anymore. Get what you can for him at the deadline. If no one comes calling w/ a reasonable offer by the trade deadline, then you move him to the pen and have a real expensive bullpen arm for the rest of the year and see if HujiKuji can hack it at closer after a few months of "seasoning".

At what point though do you say enough is enough? We've seen Marmol take a decline over his 6 years in Chicago, and despite his occasional improvements, he ultimately regresses back to being a save-blower.

With this team focusing on developing and growing, I think it's time to put past what money players are making and play the best players, even if they are rookies or prospects.

If there is an OF in Iowa better talent wise than Soriano, I'd rather see him play, this is the time for players to grow. Seeing guys like Marmol and Soriano play honestly bore me because I know what I'll get with them and they're only going to regress further as their careers progress.

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You have a better chance of getting a pretzel & a coke for Marmol.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

images

images

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
At what point though do you say enough is enough? We've seen Marmol take a decline over his 6 years in Chicago, and despite his occasional improvements, he ultimately regresses back to being a save-blower.

With this team focusing on developing and growing, I think it's time to put past what money players are making and play the best players, even if they are rookies or prospects.

If there is an OF in Iowa better talent wise than Soriano, I'd rather see him play, this is the time for players to grow. Seeing guys like Marmol and Soriano play honestly bore me because I know what I'll get with them and they're only going to regress further as their careers progress.

For one, Soriano had arguably his best statistical year in 5 years last season -- so...they're not only going to regress. And we're forgetting, Marmol had a helluva stretch at one point last season where he was dominant Marmol. I think I'm being perceived as a Marmol Apologist at the moment, which is far from the truth. I cringe every time I see him come into a game, too. But we're NOT winning the division this year -- so there's no point in running the risk of crashing FujiKuji's confidence. Let the dude get some reps...throw him in at midseason.

It's doubtful that the other team would be paying anything for Marmol...Cubs would likely pick it up for an OK prospect. We're not talking a team's top 10 'spect, here...

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
For one, Soriano had arguably his best statistical year in 5 years last season -- so...they're not only going to regress. And we're forgetting, Marmol had a helluva stretch at one point last season where he was dominant Marmol. I think I'm being perceived as a Marmol Apologist at the moment, which is far from the truth. I cringe every time I see him come into a game, too. But we're NOT winning the division this year -- so there's no point in running the risk of crashing FujiKuji's confidence. Let the dude get some reps...throw him in at midseason.

It's doubtful that the other team would be paying anything for Marmol...Cubs would likely pick it up for an OK prospect. We're not talking a team's top 10 'spect, here...
Fair enough, I see the logic and would probably support about a month or two from now :lol:

Plus, whenever I see Fujikawa I think of [video=youtube;5hkCS-xRv94]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hkCS-xRv94[/video]