Carrie Muskat's Interview with Randy Wells...

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
MLB.com: What's the first thing you want to do this offseason?

WELLS: Family is a big priority. I just bought a house in southern Illinois, and I have to get that in order and make it comfortable. I've got boxes everywhere. I think I'll just settle in there and relax a little bit.

MLB.com: You won 12 games last year; what surprised you about this year?

WELLS: Just how quickly things can turn. We had a great team, and we didn't really put things together like we wanted to. From a personal standpoint, [I learned] how tough it is, the daily grind and the mental adjustments you need to make. It's a learning process. I think that was the biggest surprise. Everything happened so easy last year, and everything just flowed along. When you hit a wall, you need to learn how to get over that hump.

MLB.com: There's a baseball cliche that it's one thing to get here, but it's even harder to stay in the big leagues.

WELLS: For sure.

MLB.com: What have you learned about the mental part of the game?

WELLS: I learned how to deal with adversity and know what you have to do to fix things on the fly. Next year, if I do hit a wall, it won't be such a significant wall. You figure out a lot about yourself when you're losing. When things are going good, you go with the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" attitude.

MLB.com: That sounds like the start of a good country music song.

WELLS: I wish. I've been focused on baseball, trying to win games.

MLB.com: Which player would you want to change places with?

WELLS: Cal Ripken Jr. would be one for me. To be that caliber player for that long a time is pretty special.

MLB.com: When do you start preparing for the 2011 season?

WELLS: I need some rest, and I think I'll start up in mid-November to get back in the swing of things. I don't know if I'll [hire a personal trainer], but definitely, I'll put more focus on the physical stuff -- running, lifting -- to get in the best possible shape I can be.

MLB.com: Where might we see you this offseason?

WELLS: I'll be at Cross Canadian Ragweed's last concert, and at my golf tournament, Nov. 6, in southern Illinois, and I'll be at the Northwestern-Illinois football game at Wrigley.

MLB.com: This was the first year the Cubs had a nutritionist handle the clubhouse meals. What did you think?

WELLS: It was good. I think maybe you need to keep a more diverse selection than rice and beans every day.

Catching up with Cubs starter Randy Wells | cubs.com: News

Thoughts? Nothing spectacular, but oh well.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Trade Randy's sorry ass.

Derkach77

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sad to see Randy struggle this year...I'd give him one more shot.

Derkach77

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He had GOOD games and he had BAD games. He struggle at times, but he was very INCONSISTENT.

Agreed but he will do good this year because we will be well managed, and i just think the team will play alot harder.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Agreed but he will do good this year because we will be well managed, and i just think the team will play alot harder.

How does the manager affect the pitcher? That would be the pitching coach...

Anyway, I hope Randy stays, he had a bad year with the BABIP gods. He was unlucky this year and lucky last year. He'll settle somewhere in between, which I can live with for league minimum.

Pepe Silvia

Where's my mail?
Liked Posts:
I hope he stays with the team. Wells is basically a junk pitcher, but he is a pretty good one and will eat some innings. I'm fine with him at the #4 or #5 slot in the rotation.