2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
CarrieMuskat Carrie Muskat
#Cubs Cashner to start minor league rehab on Tues with AA Tennessee

:yeah:

Hope he is in the majors again in a few weeks.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
we definitely need him back looking at how depleted our rotation is sans demp and garza

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
:office:

No point in coming back this season....

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
As a RP, I would be fine with that. But not too confortable with him as a starter.

Because of?

Injury risk?
Probably low stamina at this point?
Control?
Or you don't think he's good?

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Injury risk and his stamia. I love Cash and can't wait until he's healthy..mostly next year and I think his control wasn't bad.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
i think he should be in the rotation when he feels ok to pitch:shrug:

again our rotation is a bit depleted right now..and sure cashner needs some work..but he would be a welcome re-addition to the rotation for the rest of the season imo...or atleast get him to work with some kind of bullpen role

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I want Cashner to pitch at the big league level this season if he is really ready to. I want his workload carefully monitored but I think knowing he will pitch on a certain day for a certain number of pitches would be the best for him. I suggested this earlier but I think piggybacking him with Ortix or shark would be a good use. Let Cash go 3 or 4 innings and the other guy go 3 or 4 innings.

cubsneedmiracle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Make sure he's fully rehabbed and start him.

Don't Fuck around going back and forth.

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
Yes, don't do to him like they did to Wood and Prior. I still think that Wood was rushed back from his TJ surgery too quickly... and his arm never really strengthened and returned to the shape it needed to be in. Prior was also rushed back from the DL in 2005. These wound up causing issues a few years later.

I agree with both Dab and Waldo. I think you only bring him back if he's ready to come back. He needs to be fully rehabbed and back to full strength... and in shape. I also think he needs to be in the pen rather than the rotation. Don't care if we're thin in the rotation now. This season is over, has been since a week after Opening Day. There's no logic in throwing him into a situation where he might not be stretched out enough to handle throwing more than 2-3 innings at once... and risk re-injuring him.

The focus should be the future, not the present. Besides, by the time he does make it back to Chicago, I'm sure there will be a couple of other kids up that should be starting a game here and there too.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yes, don't do to him like they did to Wood and Prior. I still think that Wood was rushed back from his TJ surgery too quickly... and his arm never really strengthened and returned to the shape it needed to be in. Prior was also rushed back from the DL in 2005. These wound up causing issues a few years later.

I agree with both Dab and Waldo. I think you only bring him back if he's ready to come back. He needs to be fully rehabbed and back to full strength... and in shape. I also think he needs to be in the pen rather than the rotation. Don't care if we're thin in the rotation now. This season is over, has been since a week after Opening Day. There's no logic in throwing him into a situation where he might not be stretched out enough to handle throwing more than 2-3 innings at once... and risk re-injuring him.

The focus should be the future, not the present. Besides, by the time he does make it back to Chicago, I'm sure there will be a couple of other kids up that should be starting a game here and there too.

They didn't do anything to Prior. His arm is basically glass. He has a disorder, that is genetic looseness. Basically, no matter what, his arm was gonna fall off.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
They didn't do anything to Prior. His arm is basically glass. He has a disorder, that is genetic looseness. Basically, no matter what, his arm was gonna fall off.
This disorder thing is news to me. As far as I was concerned, Prior's own delivery failed him.

Do you have a link to that "disorder?"

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:

I agree with the bolded part, but that is why I have been proposing using him as a starter with very strict pitch counts. I just think the irregular workload of a reliever can be as stressful as pitching deep into games. I just want Cashner to be groomed as a starter still, and I would like him to face major league hitting this year if he is healthy. Monitoring his workload though that is going to have to be directly spelled out to Quade before he is allowed to manage him.
I remember hearing things about that on the radio, but I never read an article.
This disorder thing is news to me. As far as I was concerned, Prior's own delivery failed him.

Do you have a link to that "disorder?"

The now infamous inverted W mechanics. I just find it weird how so many experts called his mechanics flawless. The guy had Tom House as basically his personal pitching coach, and after he has suffered through basically career ending injuries a flaw in his mechanics was discovered.

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:

I know about his degenerative shoulder issue. The problem is, it was brought up by Yocum when Prior began rehabbing with him that coming back too soon from the wrist injury put more pressure on his shoulder than had ever happened before. Remember, Prior spent half the season on the DL, then only pitched 3 rehab games (the first two were less than 3 IP) before coming back. He wasn't ready, and it was obvious he wasn't ready in the first couple of starts back.

BTW, Prior isn't the first player or pitcher to have this... but he flamed out a lot quicker than even Yocum thought he could. Prior was never really close to the same after being rushed back from the broken wrist when he took that nasty line drive.

Shawon_Dunston

Liked Posts:
I just want Cashner to be groomed as a starter still, and I would like him to face major league hitting this year if he is healthy. Monitoring his workload though that is going to have to be directly spelled out to Quade before he is allowed to manage him.

Yes, I agree. Bring him into Spring Training with the intention of starting, and if there is another setback, then I would seriously consider just leaving him in the pen.