1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Hasn't made an error since July 10th, if he can pull off that same defense we've seen for almost a month against Washington, it will be an entire month without making an error.

I think EYT may be losing a bet... Waldo says hi.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Plays like today though are why you want to leave him at SS. He ranged over behind the bag, spun around, and fired a strike to definitely take a base hit away from the Reds. If we can upgrade the offense elsewhere I think it might be beneficial to leave Barney at 2B because him combined with this Castro would actually be good defense at the middle infield spots.

EnjoyYourTiger

That weird bear thing.
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hasn't made an error since July 10th, if he can pull off that same defense we've seen for almost a month against Washington, it will be an entire month without making an error.

I think EYT may be losing a bet... Waldo says hi.

Lol. There's still a lot of baseball to be played. :shifty:

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
oh shit eyt...lol...

ugay?

Uman85

Oh Yeah.
Donator
Liked Posts:
He's improved a lot. Combine his current defense with his hitting and you've got one solid SS to build a team around.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
He's improved a lot. Combine his current defense with his hitting and you've got one solid SS to build a team around.

And if the power develops into the 15-20 HR range then we are talking about a special player. That is still a pretty big if though.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
And if the power develops into the 15-20 HR range then we are talking about a special player. That is still a pretty big if though.

He already qualifies as a special player methinks... and the scary thing (if you live in any of 5 following cities or their general areas: Cincinnati, Houston, Milwaukee, Pittsburgh, St. Louis; or if your name is EYT) is that he's only 21 and only going to get better.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

he's young tho..so there's a decent chance he'll learn to hit the ball with power..

he had a HR today, ya kno

but ya castro is a franchise player..imo

and as i thought, his d is improving

doesnt mean its perfect now..but definitely making strides

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
He already qualifies as a special player methinks... and the scary thing (if you live in any of 5 following cities or their general areas: Cincinnati, Houston, Milwaukee, Pittsburgh, St. Louis; or if your name is EYT) is that he's only 21 and only going to get better.

This offensive skillset combined with the potential to get better is what makes him special at this point. If he doesn't develop more power and the defense is more the first half of this season than now he is probably more in the very good category than special.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
he's young tho..so there's a decent chance he'll learn to hit the ball with power..

he had a HR today, ya kno

but ya castro is a franchise player..imo

and as i thought, his d is improving

doesnt mean its perfect now..but definitely making strides

I'm hopeful the power develops and that it doesn't come at the expense of his speed/range. Right now Castro's slugging percentage is very driven by hitting a lot of singles. That doesn't mean that Castro isn't a very good player right now with the potential to be special, but if he is still doing this at age 27-28 then as I said above I think he is more very good than special.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I'm hopeful the power develops and that it doesn't come at the expense of his speed/range. Right now Castro's slugging percentage is very driven by hitting a lot of singles. That doesn't mean that Castro isn't a very good player right now with the potential to be special, but if he is still doing this at age 27-28 then as I said above I think he is more very good than special.

ya we'll see how that works out

we dont have a crystal clear picture of how castro will be 5 or 6 years down the road..for all that we know he could get hampered with injuries which derail his career(i hope not but it could happen)

power and speed/range arent always indirectly related

soriano is a good example in his prime

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
ya we'll see how that works out

we dont have a crystal clear picture of how castro will be 5 or 6 years down the road..for all that we know he could get hampered with injuries which derail his career(i hope not but it could happen)

power and speed/range arent always indirectly related

soriano is a good example in his prime

Exactly my point we don't know. I am pretty damn hopeful though because this is the best a Cub position prospect has ever really looked as far as I can recall. Power and speed are not mutually exclusive, but the idea behind Castro developing more power is that he gets bigger. Often times that results in losing a step or two which would deprive him of his range and decent speed to nab some bases. I am just hopeful that he can get into that 15+ range with the speed he has now.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
His power is improving... gotta love Deer Antler Spray! :smug: Not saying he does it, I doubt it, but lol, deer antler spray being used as a PED now?

EnjoyYourTiger

That weird bear thing.
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm pretty sure he's leading the NL, if not the entire league in hits right now. That's freaking insane. If he avoids injuries :)pray:), continues to improve defensively (which it seems that he is), gains a little more power (I'd settle for 10 HRs a year, frankly), and learns to draw a few more walks (although if he's batting .315, wgaf if he does or not), he's going to be a stud. A beast. The Jeter of the Cubs. Who Ramirez was half a decade ago. Who Soriano should have been along.

But, I don't want to get too high on him because Dewey will come in here and :rolleyes: at me, but I'm so excited to see this kid play now and I'm even more excited to see where he is in 3-4 years.

It would be nice if the Cubs could make some moves and get a big name guy like Fielder or Pujols here, and get a number one pitcher, and maybe a 4-5 slot guy, and some relievers that don't suck and that I can spell their last names (Samafhjafdba), etc. and actually build a team that doesn't end up losing 90+ games.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
I'm pretty sure he's leading the NL, if not the entire league in hits right now. That's freaking insane. If he avoids injuries :)pray:), continues to improve defensively (which it seems that he is), gains a little more power (I'd settle for 10 HRs a year, frankly), and learns to draw a few more walks (although if he's batting .315, wgaf if he does or not), he's going to be a stud. A beast. The Jeter of the Cubs. Who Ramirez was half a decade ago. Who Soriano should have been along.

But, I don't want to get too high on him because Dewey will come in here and :rolleyes: at me, but I'm so excited to see this kid play now and I'm even more excited to see where he is in 3-4 years.

It would be nice if the Cubs could make some moves and get a big name guy like Fielder or Pujols here, and get a number one pitcher, and maybe a 4-5 slot guy, and some relievers that don't suck and that I can spell their last names (Samafhjafdba), etc. and actually build a team that doesn't end up losing 90+ games.

:rolleyes:

:smug:

derosabomb

Joecawks is a dope
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
castro is gonna be something else. his range factor is out of this world (sorry poods) hes gonna increase his power. HES ONLY 21!! if he stays healthy i see him being a guy that can get 3000 hits. hopefully with the cubs.

EnjoyYourTiger

That weird bear thing.
Donator
Liked Posts:
castro is gonna be something else. his range factor is out of this world (sorry poods) hes gonna increase his power. HES ONLY 21!! if he stays healthy i see him being a guy that can get 3000 hits. hopefully with the cubs.

CANt-tell-if-serious-or-trolling.jpg