Chargers moving on from Phillip Rivers

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
Those teams also got QBs from someplace else.NY thought they could get more mileage out of Manning. Broncos thought Keenum then Flacco could help and Jags traded for what they thought was a good enough QB.
That’s pretty much exactly my point. If they can’t sign a guy in FA they have pretty much boxed themselves into taking a QB in the top 10. LA has Carolina, Jacksonville, and Vegas behind them. The first 2 could definitely trade up for a QB and Gruden isnt exactly writing love letters to Carr.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
That’s pretty much exactly my point. If they can’t sign a guy in FA they have pretty much boxed themselves into taking a QB in the top 10. LA has Carolina, Jacksonville, and Vegas behind them. The first 2 could definitely trade up for a QB and Gruden isnt exactly writing love letters to Carr.

But Rivers wasn't under contract anyway, he's an unrestricted free agent. The only thing they could do is franchise him and then they wouldn't be able to get rid of him once he signed. They just said they weren't going to try to resign him.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:

They have a bit of cap space.

It is possible Rivers told them I am done...tag me if you want. That would be a lot of money....Chargers then announced they are "moving on" from Rivers..

Either way everyone knows Chargers have to get a QB either thru FA or the draft. Maybe they roll with Taylor....

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
But Rivers wasn't under contract anyway, he's an unrestricted free agent. The only thing they could do is franchise him and then they wouldn't be able to get rid of him once he signed. They just said they weren't going to try to resign him.
But at least with a franchise tag you have a contingency plan. I’ll admit a very expensive one, but it’s not like they’re in contention now anyways.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
They have a bit of cap space.

It is possible Rivers told them I am done...tag me if you want. That would be a lot of money....Chargers then announced they are "moving on" from Rivers..

Either way everyone knows Chargers have to get a QB either thru FA or the draft. Maybe they roll with Taylor....
Even if they hypothetically role with Taylor they would need a back up anyways. That could be adressed much later in the draft though.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Even if they hypothetically role with Taylor they would need a back up anyways. That could be adressed much later in the draft though.

or early.....Chargers could say Taylor is our guy...this is "his year" and then draft a QB at 6 if they like him.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
But at least with a franchise tag you have a contingency plan. I’ll admit a very expensive one, but it’s not like they’re in contention now anyways.

It's not a contingency plan. Once it's signed he's in. He's their starter. It would eliminate any options, not enhance them.

If they are not in contention now, why worry about it? Take your lumps this year anyway.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
It's not a contingency plan. Once it's signed he's in. He's their starter. It would eliminate any options, not enhance them.

If they are not in contention now, why worry about it? Take your lumps this year anyway.
Not necessarily. They could always bench him. Eli Manning , Joe Flacco, and Nick Foles weren’t tagged but they’re still vets who got benched for rookie QBs. If Phillip Rivers was still on the roster IMO teams would be more hesitant to jump ahead of the Chargers. That’s the only reason I said it was kind of stupid to not bring him back before the draft.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Not necessarily. They could always bench him. Eli Manning , Joe Flacco, and Nick Foles weren’t tagged but they’re still vets who got benched for rookie QBs. If Phillip Rivers was still on the roster IMO teams would be more hesitant to jump ahead of the Chargers. That’s the only reason I said it was kind of stupid to not bring him back before the draft.

No. Not at all. They will know that SD is in the market for a QB anyway. Plus because of salary cap rollover the Chargers would essentially lose the amount of his salary on their cap for the following year - close to $30mil, which would be as dumb as you can get. It would never work, terrible idea on a number of levels.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:

That is a big price to pay and NFL GMs generally aren't that dumb.....Chargers need a QB regardless of Rivers on a one year deal or not....if a team wanted a QB they would trade up.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
What I think will happen is that the Dolphins and Chargers are going to get into a bidding war to get Detroit's pick in the draft. The winner gets TT.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
What I think will happen is that the Dolphins and Chargers are going to get into a bidding war to get Detroit's pick in the draft. The winner gets TT.
Justin Herbert is not a bad consolation prize.

dennehy

Liked Posts:

Las Vegas could get in there too.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
If he is playing, it’s to chase a ring. I don’t think there is a team that matches up with what his salary demands will be and an already entrenched starter.

jive

Liked Posts:
Rivers would be an upgrade over Trubisky, no doubt. However, he has no reason to play here, nor do we have the ability to pay him. Rivers is too competitive to be a backup,he'll want to start. He has an amazing track record, and would be well over Chase Daniel type of money.Plus, he's probably at that old man stage where he doesn't want to play in the cold, and would rather relax in Florida.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Rivers would be an upgrade over Trubisky, no doubt. However, he has no reason to play here, nor do we have the ability to pay him. Rivers is too competitive to be a backup,he'll want to start. He has an amazing track record, and would be well over Chase Daniel type of money.Plus, he's probably at that old man stage where he doesn't want to play in the cold, and would rather relax in Florida.

If he reverts back to his old form, sure. Issue is like you said he is 38.

He had a 1:1 TD/INT ratio on an offense with more weapons. 20 INT's is not good in todays NFL. Like...at all.

Do you honestly think NO DOUBT he would be better than mitch?

He also played behind a far superior oline, with a better supporting cast. He is 38 and has zero mobility, and would be behind a bottom 5 oline.

He very much could be worse than mitch. The hate for mitch on here has gotten to a nearly laughable level. Mitch is not a very good qb, but trust me, there is plenty worse out there.

If you get Rivers that means you spend at least a a half to a third of the available caproom(after cuts) you have to sign him. He will cost at least 15-20 million a year. That could get you hooper AND Brandon Scherff.

I'm good.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Unless he gets paid a lot of money with a team that can win, he certainly could retire.

He does have 9 kids to feed, so maybe not?

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Seriously, Rivers can't run, much less be an RPO threat.

Not that any RPO threat exists with zero run blocking anyway.