Charles Tillman Part 2? Deiondre’ Hall an intriguing new Bear

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Charles Tillman Part 2? Deiondre’ Hall an intriguing new Bear

Bears rookie cornerback Deiondre’ Hall’s iPad features clips from the best of the best at his position. From Richard Sherman to Byron Maxwell to Patrick Peterson, there’s plenty for him to examine.

And of course, Charles Tillman’s highlights are included.

Within an hour of his selection in the fourth round, Hall raised expectations for himself – especially locally — by saying he emulates his play after Tillman, the best cornerback in Bears history.

“I’ve always tried to mark my game after him,” Hall said then.

And now?

“I’ve got a few cutups,” Hall said. “I have cutups of some of my favorite press corners. So yeah, [I’m] definitely trying to take that all in. We have access to a lot of stuff here [at Halas Hall], so that’s huge. Coming from a smaller school, we didn’t have that.

“[I’m] just keeping my eyes on those guys, and watching a lot of cutups. That’s what it comes down to. I’m trying to earn it, and learning the technique is really a craft. It takes time to really get good at that.”

Rookies often are asked which players they look up to as models, and typically, they ramble off a list of stars they like.

But there are real similarities between Hall and Tillman.

Neither Tillman nor Hall played for major college programs, attending Louisiana-Lafayette and Northern Iowa, respectively.

Rookie minicamp and organized team activities have offered only a few glimpses, but Hall uncannily resembles Tillman with his helmet on. Part of it is being listed at the same height of 6-2, but it’s also the impressive arm length.

In his Pro Football Weekly scouting report, former Bears director of college scouting Greg Gabriel said Hall reminded him of Tillman when he was coming out in the draft in 2003.

Hall said heading into his senior season he really started to develop the “ballhawk mentality” that’s come to define Tillman, who forced 42 fumbles and made 36 interceptions over 12 seasons with the Bears. Tillman’s eight interception returns for touchdowns also are a team record.

“[I was] attaching that to my name,” Hall said.

That he did. In his last season at Northern Iowa, Hall forced three fumbles and had six interceptions, two he returned for touchdowns. He owns the school record for pick-sixes with four.

It was “ball production,” as defensive coordinator Vic Fangio put it, that grabbed the Bears’ attention.

“He’s got a good knack for the game,” Fangio said. “He’s got good instincts.”

It’s matter of getting that “knack” to translate to the NFL. Hall has been looking forward to OTAs and getting opportunities to guard the Bears’ receivers, young and old.

“There is definitely a lot of competition,” said Hall, who has been working specifically at right cornerback thus far in the offseason program.

Similar to Tillman, Hall’s best weapon is his length – “I mean, I have some of the longest arms ever,” he said — and he’s learning how to use it better.

“Length is only good if you can stay close to the guy, and then when the ball comes, the length becomes an advantage,” Fangio said. “If they’re running away from you, the length is of no use.”

Hall has learned from watching Tillman and others that the best defense begins with being patient.

“If I can stay square within the first couple moves of the receiver and get my hands on, it makes it really tough for the receiver to get around the long arms,” Hall said. “I think I can run with anybody. [But] again, [it’s] just getting in front of a receiver and getting these long arms on him and hands on.”

He sees the results everyday on his iPad.

deiondrehall1.jpg

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Tillman REALLY struggled against speed for his first several years - and it always was his weakness. Hall has some traits of Tillman but he will also struggle in coverage against a faster receiver. He is going to have growing pains and hopefully they don't have to throw him into the fire right away.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Hall is the 1 pick I don't "see it" with. Floyd clearly has immense potential and has shown major flashes in college. Whitehair was one of the better linemen in the draft and a likely Day 1 starter. Bullard is one of the steals of the draft on paper. Howard has starting potential and will certainly get plenty of snaps this year. Braverman has the big numbers and underdog mentality. Even the other 3rd day guys have shown great versatility, speed, and leadership. But Hall, to me, seems like more projection than actual substance. The arms and height are intriguing, but doesn't matter if he doesn't know how to use them. He doesn't have the speed to run with a lot of WRs so his technique in press has to be nearly flawless. Not saying I don't have hope for him, as I think the Bears have a great defensive coaching staff for the most part. But I think he has the furthest to go to be a positive contributor than anyone in the Bears draft class. And he arguably could be the guy most needed to contribute this year (along with Bush) as he doesn't have a veteran fallback in place (at nickel) to learn from as a rookie.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Good article and how great would it be if this kid could turn into anything close to Peanut. We have the right guys coaching him in Fox/Fangio/Donatell so this kid could really be something in a year or two under them.

Burrberry

Liked Posts:
Hall is the 1 pick I don't "see it" with. Floyd clearly has immense potential and has shown major flashes in college. Whitehair was one of the better linemen in the draft and a likely Day 1 starter. Bullard is one of the steals of the draft on paper. Howard has starting potential and will certainly get plenty of snaps this year. Braverman has the big numbers and underdog mentality. Even the other 3rd day guys have shown great versatility, speed, and leadership. But Hall, to me, seems like more projection than actual substance. The arms and height are intriguing, but doesn't matter if he doesn't know how to use them. He doesn't have the speed to run with a lot of WRs so his technique in press has to be nearly flawless. Not saying I don't have hope for him, as I think the Bears have a great defensive coaching staff for the most part. But I think he has the furthest to go to be a positive contributor than anyone in the Bears draft class. And he arguably could be the guy most needed to contribute this year (along with Bush) as he doesn't have a veteran fallback in place (at nickel) to learn from as a rookie.

Nah you aren't the only one who thinks this. I don't have an issue with taking a flyer on an upside guy though. It's a far cry from the Dan Bazuin's, Brandon Hardin's, and Dusty Dvoracek's we used to pick even earlier. Pace had a good combination of guys that produced, but also can hold their own athletically so one guy taken at the end of the 4th. He'll probably always have problems with speedier guys just like Tillman did. Just gotta trust that Fangio and more importantly Donatell know what they are doing.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Nah you aren't the only one who thinks this. I don't have an issue with taking a flyer on an upside guy though. It's a far cry from the Dan Bazuin's, Brandon Hardin's, and Dusty Dvoracek's we used to pick even earlier. Pace had a good combination of guys that produced, but also can hold their own athletically so one guy taken at the end of the 4th. He'll probably always have problems with speedier guys just like Tillman did. Just gotta trust that Fangio and more importantly Donatell know what they are doing.

Yeah, I don't hate the pick at all. I just don't love the player. I've been wrong about players before, I'll be wrong again....hopefully about this one. But it would be stupid to diss a very late 4th round pick. I just think he's not going to help out the Bears as much as the Bears need him to in 2016.

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It would be a surprise to see him contribute out of the gate as early as Tillman did. Wasn't it Peanut's first game that he flashed against Randy Moss?

I do like that we have Fangio and Donatell coaching the kid.

Milton Waddams

Liked Posts:
33 was the best in the business at covering the star receivers who were big (Calvin Johnson, Plaxico Burress, Randy Moss). He struggled against speed, especially small/shifty speed (Steve Smith in particular). Pretty sure Tillman was faster than this kid. Like Fangio said, length does nothing for you if the WR's are running past you. Hopefully that's not a problem with Hall.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Corners take a long time to transition to the NFL. Expect 2-3 years of shitting on Hall even if he turns out great. Then we can all say we knew he was good all along. good times.

You realize you described exactly how people reacted to Tillman.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I still remember when people wanted Tillman cut. Good times. Its almost like history repeats itself.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
So much physical talent.

I am intrigued to see how much Donatell and Fangio can get from him year 1.

Elite physical tools can cover up a lot of technique issues.

Burrberry

Liked Posts: