Chicago Bears simple realities

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
the Wannstedt years were probably still worse. even Brian Hoyer scored more touchdowns than the scrubs they bought the farm for multiple times in the 90s. I wasn't alive in the 70s, so I didn't get to experience that shitshow either. or the 60s either for that matter. you people are whining about Bears teams now that lose games by a score, we're already out of the tunnel compared to being down 50 points at halftime 3 years ago.

the jury's still out on the talent Pace has acquired, I'll give everyone that, and the "rebuild" has taken an eternity. I think it'll all come to fruition eventually. maybe even Aaron Rodgers' play will diminish in time for it. :lmao:

yeah, but wins and losses were worse than Wanny. Hoyer scored more touchdowns than Wanny did, in an era where Brady/Stafford/Brees throw 40 TD's every year when good or bad. We can't compare TD's from different era's as evidence. Wins and losses you have to go back to 70's I believe to be 3-13 bad, and by the time you get back there it was different leagues, different rules, much less money available for trying to succeed, and much less teams/organizations to play against.

This is the worst record in the modern era by far, and we are going to duplicate it.

Madden

Liked Posts:
The reality is injuries will alter our team and other teams more than anything else. None of these players progress will matter if they aren't on the field. I hope we can avoid injuries to key players or else we'll have practice squad players starting again.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It might not be a franchise low but it is definitely a pretty bad low. This is going to be a very ugly season offensively. And if they have a below average fate injury-wise, this team is going to be pathetic because as bad as the starters are as a group, the reserves are even worse:(

No where did I say this was a good football team. The McCaskeys are still the owners and things can always get worse. I just see a little more light, or any light at all, at the end of the tunnel versus what I have seen over the years. Young improving defense, 1st round QB drafted, impressive RB, solid interior line. But, make no mistake, this is a bad football team. Bad.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
And arguably every guard drafted in the first round other than Kyle Long have been massive disappointments. The Bears were lucky with Long and nothing more.

Indeed, Zack Martin, David DeCastro and Brandon Schreff make it very arguable..just to name a few.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The reality is injuries will alter our team and other teams more than anything else. None of these players progress will matter if they aren't on the field. I hope we can avoid injuries to key players or else we'll have practice squad players starting again.

Exactly. Can't even develop rookies when they are essentially rookies during their 2nd or even 3rd year (White). In other ways some rookies saw tons of snaps last year when they wouldn't have otherwise. Whitehair, Kwiatkoski, Meredith, Howard, even most of the DBs who played were all in place of an injured starter or even 2. It goes both ways, but overall went badly last season. It did help weed out guys quicker too as evidenced by massive roster change every year since 2015.

26 dudes let go from 2016 roster. Several in-season despite lack of depth since they had to keep trying out the next guy.

I've posted several times, but injuries were the worst seen in over 20 years of regression data in terms of sheer number of missed games and impact. I don't get why people assume that'll happen again? 20 years of data folks. Be upset? -sure. Hesitant to be positive? - sure. But c'mon, they'll be better simply by a return to average health even without considering many other changes since. That's the simple reality.

bearsfootball516

Liked Posts:
Exactly. Can't even develop rookies when they are essentially rookies during their 2nd or even 3rd year (White). In other ways some rookies saw tons of snaps last year when they wouldn't have otherwise. Whitehair, Kwiatkoski, Meredith, Howard, even most of the DBs who played were all in place of an injured starter or even 2. It goes both ways, but overall went badly last season. It did help weed out guys quicker too as evidenced by massive roster change every year since 2015.

26 dudes let go from 2016 roster. Several in-season despite lack of depth since they had to keep trying out the next guy.

I've posted several times, but injuries were the worst seen in over 20 years of regression data in terms of sheer number of missed games and impact. I don't get why people assume that'll happen again? 20 years of data folks. Be upset? -sure. Hesitant to be positive? - sure. But c'mon, they'll be better simply by a return to average health even without considering many other changes since. That's the simple reality.

It's likely they won't be ravaged by injuries like they were last year, but it seems like ever since 2014, they've just gotten wrecked by injuries every year. I remember someone from Fox's staff saying in 2015 that he couldn't believe the number of soft tissue injuries the Bears suffered in Trestman's last year. And now massive injuries have continued through Fox's two years.

Is it poor training staff's that are to blame, or do the Bears just seem to sign a lot of injury prone players? Or is it just extremely bad luck?

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Is it poor training staff's that are to blame, or do the Bears just seem to sign a lot of injury prone players? Or is it just extremely bad luck?

Would have to dig up data on injuries for previous seasons. We can agree that depth has been baaaad for some time, so even average injuries have hurt this team more than many. I recall previous articles looking into injuries and not finding any significant difference at Solider Field.

Remember when some players/coaches complained when grass was torn up from soccer matches and concerts without resodding? They squashed that apparently. I never did see much to indicate that the kickoff play was a significantly higher injury causing play, much less a known decrease on injuries during kickoffs after killing Hester's career it into touchback central.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
Indeed, Zack Martin, David DeCastro and Brandon Schreff make it very arguable..just to name a few.

Two former offensive tackles converted to guard isn't making a compelling case for this argument especially given the Redskins and Cowboys have the two best OTs in football at the current moment.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
^ I at least appreciate the effort. Better to see an attempt making a point than spewing blind negativity like many.

Funny how each time this is called out, threads dry up. Seldom much at all to back up the opinionated blame-game & bitch-festing.

Some informative back & forth discussions here would be cool, but it seems a wait & see approach is all that's left since many minds are simply made up that everything sucks until proven wrong with some wins.

Why did you leave out the context that followed?

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Two former offensive tackles converted to guard isn't making a compelling case for this argument especially given the Redskins and Cowboys have the two best OTs in football at the current moment.

There is/was no argument. The premise of your original post was outlandishly silly.

Washington

Liked Posts:
I agreed with a lot that you said but I don't think the Bears are in a franchise low. I think there is a lot more to look forward to than you. But this is not a franchise low. I've been an avid fan since the early 70s and this, in my opinion, is not a low point.

The 70s were terrible until Payton arrived and he made them worth watching, win or lose. The wins/losses in that era were bad. That said, this decade has been equally as bad. They just broke a franchise record for futility in a 16 game season. It has not been fun to watch knowing they were mathematically eliminated from the playoffs after the 1st game. I do think things are looking up. Just the fact that the entire QB roster has been turned over is a reason to celebrate. Pace does have this team on a very slow train to success given the day and age of parity. I hope his plan pans out.

dawags

Liked Posts:
I hate that Pace seems to have a seven year plan!

msadows

Liked Posts:
Mitch + Glennon 100% better than Hoyer + Cutler.

How bout that RB, best guy we had since sweetness!

Charles Leno best Tackle in modern bears history but Wright is a giant bust!

• Haha
Reactions: Myk

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
Mitch + Glennon 100% better than Hoyer + Cutler.

How bout that RB, best guy we had since sweetness!

Charles Leno best Tackle in modern bears history but Wright is a giant bust!

Well Virginia is broke so what do you expect?