My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
Awesome article....

Sometimes people just need to calm down and realize what we already have. Core in tact, and many years of success ahead

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
im feeling better about the whole thing.

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
Jeremy isnt. lol

GrinderBall41

Sox/B'Hawks/Bears/Purdue
Liked Posts:
Meh. Im not surprised by the offseason at all... only thing i didnt expect was losing Ladd.

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
Really? I saw Ladd as one of the first to go....hmm

Livewire

Liked Posts:
Here is the problem.... most of our fan base consists of bandwagon riders who know nothing about the actual sport of hockey. I actually preferred going to games 4 years ago when I was one of 5000 people at the game and everyone was a real die hard Hawks fans... now the UC is filled with people who don't even understand the basic rules of hockey or the worst part are the teenybopper girls that show up just to scream when Patrick Kane takes the ice.

The worst of it is in sports bars when I will talk to a person who can name everyone on the team, there numbers, and nicknames but still don't doesn't know why a delay a game was called on the goaltender for playing the puck past the goal line outside the trapezoid.

stormbolter73

Liked Posts:
Couldn't agree more, and there in lies the hidden benefit of what has been a very active (and tough, even if i've liked everything that has gone down) off season. The fan base is having to deal with change after being brought to the sport. Through this process, people will be weeded out and those that stick around will hopefully be forced to learn and grow a bit. The worst place in the world to watch a game is in a bar with a bunch of randoms. People love to scream just ignorant things at TVs. IMy personal favorite, which was at an HOgs game, was a guy screaming "they are pulling their goalie!" on a delayed penalty call with more than half of the 3rd period left :slap:

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
Here is the problem.... most of our fan base consists of bandwagon riders who know nothing about the actual sport of hockey. I actually preferred going to games 4 years ago when I was one of 5000 people at the game and everyone was a real die hard Hawks fans... now the UC is filled with people who don't even understand the basic rules of hockey or the worst part are the teenybopper girls that show up just to scream when Patrick Kane takes the ice.

The worst of it is in sports bars when I will talk to a person who can name everyone on the team, there numbers, and nicknames but still don't doesn't know why a delay a game was called on the goaltender for playing the puck past the goal line outside the trapezoid.

Welcome to my world living in Phoenix

southern_cross_116

Liked Posts:
I tried explaining to a hotshot defenseman here that since we were up by 3 goals (maybe it was 2) at the start of the third period - and knowing that he sucked at poke checks ... I told him not to do that or pinch in but rather back off and give up a bit of ice (since the typical scenario went .... other player comes towards this guy ... he tried a poke check and missed --- and then it was off to the races with a 2 or a 3 on 1 break -- remember that my team had "Air Jordan" as a goalie ... it wasn't too tough to score on him ....

Well cutting to the chase I got some lip back about how it was actually a good idea for this guy to do his poke check -as he thought we'd be able to pile up the goals....

It was about this point I decided: 'f it" with that "team".

But the point is the same, isn't it --- it is pretty frustrating playing with those types- and of course watching a game in that atmosphere - has gotta suck as well.

____

For fun ... try explaining a 2 line pass ... oh nevermind - no one is that damned masochistic :D

Phoenix...
- mnan I hear you - I lived in KC for 16 years and had season tickets to their IHL team there in the 90's ... I overheard a group of high school jock types debating what the puck had to be made out of -- these numbnuts' decided it had to be made of wood -nevermind they sold the damned things at the little souvenir stands in the concourse. . .

Last edited:

Savoir_Faire_18

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Amen to all the posts. Hawks fans have the least to worry about. Our defense will be number one in the league... wait our defense will remain number one in the league. This year will be impressive and those selling them short can get off their wagon and cheer for Vancouver.

southern_cross_116

Liked Posts:
You know I should point out, that my frustration with those types, isn't so much that they exist- I mean that happens - it is with the types of people that don't give a shit enough to even try learning -and go off all half cocked without a clue.

There is a big difference; I'm all for guys who have a genuine interest in the sport; and all that -it's just that there are the types that just come along are instant experts .... know everything about the sport -then spew out some stuff like tbo and others mentioned... you probably know the types well.... "gee why are they getting off the ice so often if they are our best guys - I'd leave them out longer" (Nevermind that they'd probably be dead before long .... but why get technical at this point ). :-/

Edited to point out - I should add that I have heard this a lot before I ever had the internets ... fwiw.

Last edited:

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
Amen to all the posts. Hawks fans have the least to worry about. Our defense will be number one in the league... wait our defense will remain number one in the league. This year will be impressive and those selling them short can get off their wagon and cheer for Vancouver.
Amen. But as soon as the playoffs start, they will all be back
Who's Jeremy?

a guy me and dews know

Sarava

Liked Posts:

I'm guessing you are a younger fan? Because the Hawks were one of the toughest tickets in town for most of the 80's, and at least the first half of the 90s. And while this was before my time, I understand the same thing was the case back in the 60s in the days of Mikita and Hall, etc.

The fans got tired of Bill Wirtz basically giving them the finger...with no home games on tv...refusing the pay the star players and then trading them off for a bag of pucks (see Roenick for Zhamnov). Wirtz ran the team in to the ground and when the owner seemingly goes out of his way to make your experience as a fan miserable, people will leave. If you were around back then (I dont know your age), diehard fan after diehard fan would often say the same thing...I'm done with this team until Wirtz sells the team or dies. And we all knew he wasn't going to sell the team ever.

Now concerning the trapezoid...that's a pretty new rule? What, about 5 years old or so? That's hardly a guage for anything. I think you're just looking for something to complain about towards other fans.

I see 2 people thanked you for your post. So maybe I'm on my own here. But I love each and every person that is starting to embrace hockey. I absolutely love it. I'm not going to diss on other fans because they don't understand a relatively new and relatively obscure rule to the game.

I haven't read the article linked in this thread yet (I will after I finish this post). But I'll say that I absolutely love the future of the Hawks. The core is set. And while a few things need to happen sometime in the next year or two (moving Campbell obviously)...the future may be even brighter than this past season was. The Hawks are stocked with great young prospects, all of which will eventually reach the NHL only needing to fill bottom pair defense roles or 3rd or 4th line forward roles, due to our core being set. The Hawks are going to be sickingly good a few years from now IMO.

omc1969

Liked Posts:
I go back to the 60's and believe me you needed connections to get a ticket back then. The old man did drive fans away by droves but now that Rocky has righted the ship they are back. Rule changes have happened as well so we need to cut the new fans a little slack too. And, BTW ............ some of those girls who are Kane fans are pretty easy on the eyes.

;-)

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
I'm guessing you are a younger fan? Because the Hawks were one of the toughest tickets in town for most of the 80's, and at least the first half of the 90s. And while this was before my time, I understand the same thing was the case back in the 60s in the days of Mikita and Hall, etc.

The fans got tired of Bill Wirtz basically giving them the finger...with no home games on tv...refusing the pay the star players and then trading them off for a bag of pucks (see Roenick for Zhamnov). Wirtz ran the team in to the ground and when the owner seemingly goes out of his way to make your experience as a fan miserable, people will leave. If you were around back then (I dont know your age), diehard fan after diehard fan would often say the same thing...I'm done with this team until Wirtz sells the team or dies. And we all knew he wasn't going to sell the team ever.

Now concerning the trapezoid...that's a pretty new rule? What, about 5 years old or so? That's hardly a guage for anything. I think you're just looking for something to complain about towards other fans.

I see 2 people thanked you for your post. So maybe I'm on my own here. But I love each and every person that is starting to embrace hockey. I absolutely love it. I'm not going to diss on other fans because they don't understand a relatively new and relatively obscure rule to the game.
I haven't read the article linked in this thread yet (I will after I finish this post). But I'll say that I absolutely love the future of the Hawks. The core is set. And while a few things need to happen sometime in the next year or two (moving Campbell obviously)...the future may be even brighter than this past season was. The Hawks are stocked with great young prospects, all of which will eventually reach the NHL only needing to fill bottom pair defense roles or 3rd or 4th line forward roles, due to our core being set. The Hawks are going to be sickingly good a few years from now IMO.

It's not that they are new fans...those are fine....

I think he (and I) are talking more of the fans that come see the Hawks because it's the "cool" thing to do, then try and argue with people who know much more about the sport and have been following the team much longer. Then, if that team starts to be not so good anymore, they abandon the team all together.

I know im younger, so I didnt know what it was like to see the Hawks in their glory days, so maybe thats where my feelings come from. I didnt start paying attention to the Hawks until around 98 when I started to play hockey myself....I guess it's just something new to me that the Hawks are this popular now.

Plus, like I said, growing up in Phoenix, the Coyotes couldnt give away tickets until this year when they were playing well...then everybody here was a coyotes "fan". but mark my words, as soon as they are moved from Phoenix (which I hope happens), they will forget all about hockey.

Livewire

Liked Posts:
I'm guessing you are a younger fan? Because the Hawks were one of the toughest tickets in town for most of the 80's, and at least the first half of the 90s.

So maybe I'm on my own here. But I love each and every person that is starting to embrace hockey. I absolutely love it. I'm not going to diss on other fans because they don't understand a relatively new and relatively obscure rule to the game.

I am 24 years old I started playing Hockey at 9 years old and still play it to this day and started following the Blackhawks and the NHL in 1995...

Like Tbo said I am not hating on the new fans trying to learn about and follow the sport and the Blackhawks. I hate the new fans that treat the team like the Cubs and just show up just because it is "in." I cannot stand the fans who yell "just shoot the damn puck" every time someone has the puck because they don't understand our cycle game or how setting up offensive chances work. I mean at least try and learn about the sport and the rules before you yell like an idiot at the UC or in a Sports Bar making yourself look stupid.

I want the Cubs fans to stick to drinking at Wrigley and not caring about sports while real fans can root and enjoy hockey together at the UC.

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
I am 24 years old I started playing Hockey at 9 years old and still play it to this day and started following the Blackhawks and the NHL in 1995...

Like Tbo said I am not hating on the new fans trying to learn about and follow the sport and the Blackhawks. I hate the new fans that treat the team like the Cubs and just show up just because it is "in." I cannot stand the fans who yell "just shoot the damn puck" every time someone has the puck because they don't understand our cycle game or how setting up offensive chances work. I mean at least try and learn about the sport and the rules before you yell like an idiot at the UC or in a Sports Bar making yourself look stupid.

I want the Cubs fans to stick to drinking at Wrigley and not caring about sports while real fans can root and enjoy hockey together at the UC.

Amen brotha!

:elephant:

stormbolter73

Liked Posts:
Well, other than stereotyping all cubs fans, I agree. I have 0 problem with the fan that is new to the game and in the process of learning. In fact, those are the people I love. Case in point, my girlfriend had never really even watched a hockey game before this season. She loves sports but hockey was never in here realm of fandom (like a lot of people). SO knowing what a huge fan I was she was gung ho to learn. She asked questions, she paid attention, she really got into THE GAME. She has become a hockey fan, not just a Blackhawks fan. People now ask her questions about the game and she answers them right on target. That's a lot to ask of people that are being brought to the game for the first time but that is my hope for each person that gets intorduced to it.

I do have a problem with the guy that sits at a game and when his girlfriend asks him a question he doesn't say he doesn't know or tries to find out, instead he speaks like he has been following the game his entire life. "Honey, why is the goalie slapping his sitck on the ice?" "It's because he is really mad at his team." Or see my story about the delayed penalty call. I heard things like this a TON last season and they weren't jokes! It's the price you pay for success and it happens across sports not just hockey. Given time, we shall get smarter as a fan base but we are going through the growing pains of success and despite randomly frustrating moments, i'm all for it.