Chicago Bulls to add NBA D-League affiliate for 2016-17 season

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
It’s about time.

Over the weekend, The Daily Herald reported that the Chicago Bulls will look to add a D-League affiliate to play in Hoffman Estates for the 2016-17 season. Hoffman Estates is home to the Sears Centre Arena and is only about an hour outside of Chicago.

The Hoffman Estates village special finance committee will discuss whether or not this is viable for them on Monday, Nov. 2. If the committee gives a positive recommendation, the village board will vote on Nov. 9 on whether or not to authorize Sears Centre management firm Global Spectrum to enter into a contract to bring the Bulls’ team there.

The Sears Centre has capacity for 11,000 fans and while sellouts will be unlikely, being able to accommodate fans in surrounding areas is beneficial. League average for attendance last season was just over 2,698, with the Texas Legends leading the way raking in 5,510 fans on average for their home games. The league did have an all-time high of 1.2 million fans in attendance and that number will surely grow each season as new teams are added and interest emerges.

The contract itself is said to be for five years with three separate five-year renewals, which could potentially keep the D-League team there for 20 years. The Bulls released a statement on adding a D-League team on Friday.

“The Chicago Bulls are seeking to establish an expansion NBA Development League (NBADL) franchise that would begin play at the Sears Centre Arena in Hoffman Estates for the 2016-17 season. The concept of operating a NBADL franchise in the Chicago area is very exciting and represents an investment by the Bulls in the growth of the game of basketball and our brand.”

If successful the Bulls will create the 21st NBADL franchise after the Charlotte Hornets’ announcement earlier this week made them the 20th team, which will be an all-time high. The Bulls continued their statement on the importance of adding a minor league franchise in today’s NBA landscape.

“Playing in the NBA’s official minor league, a Bulls NBADL team will create tremendous opportunities to promote the game of basketball in our surrounding communities, extend the reach of the Bulls and deepen our integration with the community, and establish a developmental program that will benefit our younger players in an atmosphere consistent with our NBA program.”

The last bit is key. Chicago has been behind the curve in terms of utilizing the D-League and part of that is not having their own affiliate, while part of it was an internal belief that young players would see a larger benefit from developing in-house.

In fact, the Bulls have utilized the NBADL the least of any NBA team when it comes to sending players on assignment. Since the 2009-10 season, they have placed a player on assignment only three times. For perspective, 18 NBA teams had at least three assignments just last season.

While the players catch the bulk of the headlines, a minor league team is just as vital for developing coaches and front office executives for an NBA organization. Many NBA teams are placing internal people with their D-League franchise to obtain on-the-job experience for career opportunities in the future.

http://upsidemotor.com/2015/11/02/chicago-bulls-d-league-affiliate-2016-17/

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
About time the Bulls realized the benefits of this

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
About time the Bulls realized the benefits of this
My question is would this be a Bulls only team, or would other teams have interests in it as well?

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
:abouttime:

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
My question is would this be a Bulls only team, or would other teams have interests in it as well?
Seeing as everyone else basically has their own affiliates already, not sure that would be an issue.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Here's what I don't understand, and help me out if you can: What's changed?

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Here's what I don't understand, and help me out if you can: What's changed?
This season: nothing

In the future: hopefully a better area to develop younger players who wouldn't get playing time otherwise. Historically, the Bulls pretty much never used the DLeague at all.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
When a good player slips through your hands every year with your D-League affiliate. When you let coaches slip through your hands. When you don't assign players to D-League on a rehab assignment.

All while building a front office based on scouting under-developed players.

Uh yeah. Not utilizing a D-League affiliate has been a mistake.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
This season: nothing

In the future: hopefully a better area to develop younger players who wouldn't get playing time otherwise. Historically, the Bulls pretty much never used the DLeague at all.

No, I mean why is there a change in philosophy now as opposed to 4 years ago?

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
No, I mean why is there a change in philosophy now as opposed to 4 years ago?
I couldn't tell you for sure. I can only guess that someone in the FO had a change of heart/came to his senses.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
How I understand it.

We had a good relationship with the Suns while Steve Kerr was there. Thus we went in half way with Phoenix for a few years, then Memphis put in a bid to get sole affiliation. Since Kerr left, we had to apply for affiliation, shared it with 3 other teams, that didn't really work, and now are forced to get and organize an expansion.

The other issue is that the Dakota Wizards didn't bode favorably with the small market. The Energy worked out great as far as a half affiliation for how the team used it. Although, the fans and we hope, the FO decides to use the D-League more. I think it's more of an Adam Silver league initiative than a Pax brainchild.

Naptastic

Liked Posts:
How I understand it.

We had a good relationship with the Suns while Steve Kerr was there. Thus we went in half way with Phoenix for a few years, then Memphis put in a bid to get sole affiliation. Since Kerr left, we had to apply for affiliation, shared it with 3 other teams, that didn't really work, and now are forced to get and organize an expansion.

The other issue is that the Dakota Wizards didn't bode favorably with the small market. The Energy worked out great as far as a half affiliation for how the team used it. Although, the fans and we hope, the FO decides to use the D-League more. I think it's more of an Adam Silver league initiative than a Pax brainchild.
So, our old d-league team was shared with other teams?

I remember a trib article about James Johnson when he was sent down. He was describing how different it is, I.E. greyhound vs 1st class plane tickets.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
So, our old d-league team was shared with other teams?

I remember a trib article about James Johnson when he was sent down. He was describing how different it is, I.E. greyhound vs 1st class plane tickets.
Yes it was..3 teams shared it I think.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
He was describing how different it is, I.E. greyhound vs 1st class plane tickets.

As recent as the 90s, many teams still traveled by bus. Some even used 3rd parties like Greyhound all season long. Poor guy. LOL

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
How I understand it.

Its more Reinsdorf and Pax than the league office. The league doesn't mess with Reinsdorf too much. The Bulls soured on the D-League and were just recently interested as long as it was under their terms. The Bulls are trying to emulate the Spurs organization.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Its more Reinsdorf and Pax than the league office. The league doesn't mess with Reinsdorf too much. The Bulls soured on the D-League and were just recently interested as long as it was under their terms. The Bulls are trying to emulate the Spurs organization.
As everyone should.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
If they were trying to emulate the Spurs, they would have had a sole affiliated D-League team long ago. Hell, on the front of using the D-League, everyone should emulate Don Nelson.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
As everyone should.

Exactly...the Spurs have their own team in close proximity to San Antonio. That is the ONLY way Reinsdorf and Co. would sign off on this. They wanted no parts of sharing space/rosters with other teams. Now that 20 teams have either started teams or gone the "single-affiliate" route. The Bulls seem ready to join in. Good for them.