Chiefs game shows why Bears should have drafted Tunsil not Floyd

Matt Suhey

Liked Posts:
We will never know how good this team can be until the Bears build a top notch oline. Cutler is a total Dr Jekyl vs Mr Hyde QB based on the play of his oline. The best year he had with Martz when he got hurt and his first season with Trestman the oline was very good and he excelled. He also did well in Denver when his oline was good. When his oline is shaky his mechanics stink and he has in the past though not too recently forces shit into traffic often for INT's. Put Jay in a relative comfort zone and he does some great things. Put him in jumpy feet mode and all sorts of shit can and will happen.The good news IMO is that he at least has the capacity to make many great plays when given the opportunity which cannot be said about a lot of starting QB's in the NFL.

Perhaps I am naive but I believe Cutler can win our guys a Super Bowl or at least take us into the NFC Championship game if his oline is playing really well. However to me the Chiefs game showed us why Elway fired Fox and hired an offensive HC because defensive HC's like Lovie and Fox dont know when to prioritize offensive needs over defensive needs.

Ej63090

Anti-Exultant Cruise Dire
Liked Posts:
Tunsil looks like a crappy guard for the Dolphins.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Tunsil is a better exterior lineman. Leno played well last year and continues to improve, and we just signed Massie. Our tackles arent a problem, the issue is that our interior has gotten banged up and we had to move some guys around.

Tunsil wouldnt have insured us against Long getting hurt, or Grasu being knocked out for the year.

Matt Suhey

Liked Posts:
Tunsil looks like a crappy guard for the Dolphins.

I have not kept track of him and the dolphins up to now but my main point is that give Jay a quality oline and we never have to see games like we did agaisnt the Broncos and Chiefs.

gallagher

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
I have not kept track of him and the dolphins up to now but my main point is that give Jay a quality oline and we never have to see games like we did agaisnt the Broncos and Chiefs.

If you havent kept up with him, then why would you use him as an example? He is doing poorly, and Tunsil would not in fact improve our line.

Matt Suhey

Liked Posts:
Tunsil is a better exterior lineman. Leno played well last year and continues to improve, and we just signed Massie. Our tackles arent a problem, the issue is that our interior has gotten banged up and we had to move some guys around.

Tunsil wouldnt have insured us against Long getting hurt, or Grasu being knocked out for the year.

To my understanding you cant have a great oline without a great or at least very good LT as opposed to a good LT which is what I believe will be Leno's high water mark. Massie is very good at run blocking and is suspect at pass pro. So Massie signing is another typical defensive HC oriented decision that focuses on the run game which helps the defense but leaves the pass game vulnerable which fucks with Cutler's heads. Which is stupid because Jay is the most important guy on the team.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Leno is good.

The Bears brought in 2 new starters to the line. They have invested 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks in the last 4 years.

They have tried to build a good OL. Yesterday they did not look great, but they were playing 2 backups against one of the best defenses in the league, and they were missing a 3x Pro Bowler.

Matt Suhey

Liked Posts:
If you havent kept up with him, then why would you use him as an example? He is doing poorly, and Tunsil would not in fact improve our line.

I was trying to make a point but in typical CCS fashion a poster misses the bigger point and looks for holes in the post to put the OP down. Does anyone really know whether Tunsil will be a good olineman yet I doubt it.

Matt Suhey

Liked Posts:
Leno is good.

The Bears brought in 2 new starters to the line. They have invested 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks in the last 4 years.

They have tried to build a good OL. Yesterday they did not look great, but they were playing 2 backups against one of the best defenses in the league, and they were missing a 3x Pro Bowler.

I am really not criticizing Pace as much as I am Fox. I know you like Leno and you may be right about him being a good LT but is a good LT enough to bring out the best in Cutler. I have my doubts about that. Maybe the best thing Emery did was draft Kyle and thank God he did but the best of these high picks is the two guards so is investing high picks in oline and ending up with the best choices being our guards is that really a winning recipe for building a top notch oline. I doubt it.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I was trying to make a point but in typical CCS fashion a poster misses the bigger point and looks for holes in the post to put the OP down. Does anyone really know whether Tunsil will be a good olineman yet I doubt it.

I don't see anyone trying to put you down other than not agreeing with you. Whitehair will be rock solid at left guard. Does anyone really know if Floyd will merit being the 1st pick yet I doubt it.

gallagher

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
To my understanding you cant have a great oline without a great or at least very good LT as opposed to a good LT which is what I believe will be Leno's high water mark. Massie is very good at run blocking and is suspect at pass pro. So Massie signing is another typical defensive HC oriented decision that focuses on the run game which helps the defense but leaves the pass game vulnerable which fucks with Cutler's heads. Which is stupid because Jay is the most important guy on the team.

Your LT doesnt need to be a star for a successful OL. Leno showed that he doesnt need a whole lot of extra help to keep the blind side locked down. He is a solid player at an important position, and he continues to grow. Massie as a starter is fine because this team is intended to be a run-first offense. As such, Tunsil would not be a starting tackle for us, at least not at this point because he is playing like crap down in Miami.

Our problems right now are that Long and Grasu are hurt. That isnt to say that Grasu would have been a solution (he has a lot to prove) but his backup had to be moved to guard with Long out, which is where Tunsil would have competed on our team. Whitehair is playing better than Tunsil right now, and he definitely would not be competing with Long. So really, Tunsil would be riding the pine once Long gets back, had we drafted him.

Newblood

Liked Posts:

So you are upset that people are prognosticating the underachievement of Tunsil, but you had no problem definitively stating that Tunsil would make the Bears better than Floyd will?

Mkay... Makes sense.

Reactions: WCL

Matt Suhey

Liked Posts:
I don't see anyone trying to put you down other than not agreeing with you. Whitehair will be rock solid at left guard. Does anyone really know if Floyd will merit being the 1st pick yet I doubt it.

Maybe you are right and I over reacted. My excuse is I want a very very good oline and it pisses me off we aint there yet.

Newblood

Liked Posts:
Maybe you are right and I over reacted. My excuse is I want a very very good oline and it pisses me off we aint there yet.

31 other teams want a very very good Oline. If it was that easy, they would all have one.

Nick80

Liked Posts:
:thinking::shrug: Pre-season...would it have mattered? He's been nursing hamstring and shoulder injuries.

It doesn't matter loads, but it would be handy to continue that 'in game' learning curve. At this rate i'll have to come up with a shit nickname for him, something like 'sicknote' ...

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

But they used a 2nd rnd pick for Whitehair and he looks very good. Used a 1st on a D player that could turn out to be very good speed rusher, a position not easy to fill.