Chris Archer

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
Just think, if we never acquired Garza we would have this kid at the top of our rotation....

sent from my beaver dam using tapatalk 2

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
Doesn't matter. We don't even have Garza anymore.

We probably would have traded him for 3 14 year olds anyway.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Doesn't matter. We don't even have Garza anymore.

We probably would have traded him for 3 14 year olds anyway.

tumblr_mng6ximn3v1rjxj9ko1_400.gif

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
All kidding aside, it was a shame the Cubs had to deal Archer, but he was the centerpiece of the Garza deal. Then again, we heisted Archer from Cleveland when we sent them Mark DeRosa. A prime example of selling high on a limited role player.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Maybe a little too early to anoint him to be the top of our rotation, but hated the trade then, still do.

Question now is whether you would take Archer, Lee, Fuld, Chirinos, and Guyer over Olt, Edwards, Ramirez, Grimm, Perez (probably out of baseball by now), and Rosscup

patg006

Liked Posts:
Revisionist history strikes again....

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
No, Archer is having a very good stretch but has shown control issues his whole career. He has also never been seen as a top of the rotation guy as his peak. Maybe he will become one, but I would bank on a hot stretch. Also, BABIP and FIP and xFIP shows its a good bit of luck.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I am very happy the Cubs got what they did this year for Garza. I think they did as well as can be expected. But I did joke at one point I want just half of what we gave up.

I am not going to cringe every time Archer wins a game, what's done is done. But I also won't say he's lucky. His last 6 starts he has 1.31 ERA, is 5-0, and has two shutouts. I am not sure why we have to pretend it's luck.

But I am optimistic about our guys going forward, and look forward to seeing them soon.

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
It does irritate me to see him do so well but I was one of the fans willing to give up anything for Garza at the time.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I wasn't a fan of letting Archer go to get Garza, but it is what it is. The Cubs got a lot of nice outings from Garza and TB got nice potential in Archer that is starting to work out for them. Good trade for both teams. Hopefully, it won't be long before the return for Garza starts to work positively for the Cubs, too.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
We have no idea how Cubs would have developed Archer. TBR have great history of developing SP

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
I wasn't a fan of letting Archer go to get Garza, but it is what it is. The Cubs got a lot of nice outings from Garza and TB got nice potential in Archer that is starting to work out for them. Good trade for both teams. Hopefully, it won't be long before the return for Garza starts to work positively for the Cubs, too.

And there is also no way of a guarantee that Archer would be doing as well in the Cubs organization. Tampa has excelled in that area whereas the Cubs have failed miserably.

I guess if the Cubs had extended Garza, would there be any talk of this? Probably not.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am very happy the Cubs got what they did this year for Garza. I think they did as well as can be expected. But I did joke at one point I want just half of what we gave up.

I am not going to cringe every time Archer wins a game, what's done is done. But I also won't say he's lucky. His last 6 starts he has 1.31 ERA, is 5-0, and has two shutouts. I am not sure why we have to pretend it's luck.

But I am optimistic about our guys going forward, and look forward to seeing them soon.

Because there are more numbers to pitching the ERA. His nice ERA isn't going to last to much longer when you are walking almost 4 per and striking out an all time low in your career. His BABIP is ridiculously low. Which shows the balls being hit are going to defenders. Archer isn't trash, but he also isn't this stud yet like some people think. His control issues are very real.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I am not calling him a stud.

I just get tired of hearing people refer to players on other teams as lucky.

Sorry, i am stuck in St. louis, and I hear that from cards fans ALL the time, so I may be overly sensitive to it. :)

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am not calling him a stud.

I just get tired of hearing people refer to players on other teams as lucky.

Sorry, i am stuck in St. louis, and I hear that from cards fans ALL the time, so I may be overly sensitive to it. :)

I think the best thing about the luck factor and some cubs fans is if archer was on the cubs doing this some of these same fans screaming luck would be :fap: ing and stating he is the best thing everzzzzz. There is no denying that.

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
And there is also no way of a guarantee that Archer would be doing as well in the Cubs organization. Tampa has excelled in that area whereas the Cubs have failed miserably.

I guess if the Cubs had extended Garza, would there be any talk of this? Probably not.

I would much rather defend the Ian Stewart trade and resigning, over getting something of value like a Matt Garza that can be shipped off for more valuable prospects.

:office:

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think the best thing about the luck factor and some cubs fans is if archer was on the cubs doing this some of these same fans screaming luck would be :fap: ing and stating he is the best thing everzzzzz. There is no denying that.

So would White Sox fans or any fans of any organization. Its called homerism and its all around sports.

czman

Liked Posts:
Inherent problem with the Cubs for a very long time. They have bought high and sold low for years.

The Garza moves are a microcosm of the Cubs organization for a very long time. Different GMs, different owner same story.

I have no clue what Archer will do. I just now right now the trend seems to continue.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Inherent problem with the Cubs for a very long time. They have bought high and sold low for years.

The Garza moves are a microcosm of the Cubs organization for a very long time. Different GMs, different owner same story.

I have no clue what Archer will do. I just now right now the trend seems to continue.

Archer and Lee are the only two players of note from that trade. We got some real solid pitching from Garza while he was here. Edwards is a better pitching prospect now then Archer was then. Archer was considered a bullpen arm of the future that if could control his stuff had a ceiling of a 3. Edwards has the stuff to front of the rotation, but with frame they think may wind up a late inning bullpen arm. Lee is hurt and has upside, but the same can be said about Olt. Overall the Cubs got back a package at least equal to what the Rays got, but we got about 2 season of good pitching out of it.

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
I just find it kind of interesting to think about it, we could have Archer in our rotation right now, instead of Edwards, and a few years of Garza here.