Chris Simms on Trubisky

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
The biggest problem with this team is that they're the Bears. The organization sucks from top to bottom.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
The biggest problem with this team is that they're the Bears. The organization sucks from top to bottom.

I would love to know why. Why can this team take not only individual players and make them look bad but groups of players who should dominate fall flat. It happens GM to GM, HC to HC.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
3 reasons.

1). Trubisky, to some degree, is not a completely known entity like Foles. With such a huge investment, I don't think 4 games is unreasonable to make absolutely certain he can never be a starter.

2). I don't want any more excuses for Nagy. What if Foles starts all 16 games, posts an 89 QBR, the Bears go 9-7 and we miss the playoffs. Seeing 2 QBs play under the same offense helps show if problems are systemic.

3). Offseason/Preseason, especially this year, is a complete unknown. Its not really a quality gauge. A few games under the gun is the best test for sure.

I completely agree with #3. The off-season is unknown and if there is no true competition then Trubisky probably will start.

I think Trubisky has played enough games in the NFL to know what we have in him. His ceiling is a “good” QB at best. I don’t think the investment matters anymore and 4 games could make or break a season.

I don’t think there anymore excuses. There’s a good chance if the Bears don’t make the playoffs then Pace is gone which means Nagy has a good chance of being gone too.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
I watch a lot of Chris Simms and his general opinion of the bears is not so much that Nagy ruined trubisky, but he thinks very little of Nagy in general. He thinks his offense is basic and unimaginative.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Simms is right that a good HC/OC/DC schemes based on the talents of the players. Buddy Ryan 46D famously said this.

Nagy has not successfully used the talent he has. Not to mention often stopping what is working.

That's not to say we can't do better than Trubisky, but I don't think Nagy has played to Trubisky's strengths including what Mitch could handle at the time. In particular, I think Nagy could have done better running RPO with Mitch, but didn't.

The buck falls on Nagy. Whoever Nagy selects to start, he needs to scheme to their strengths.

Last edited:

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Simms is right that a good HC/OC/DC schemes based on the talents of the players. Buddy Ryan 46D famously said this.

Nagy has not successfully using the talent he has. Not to mention often stopping what is working.

That's not to say we can't to better than Trubisky, but I don't think Nagy has played to Trubisky's strengths including what Mitch could handle at the time. In particular, I think Nagy could have done better running RPO with Mitch, but didn't.

The buck falls on Nagy. Whoever Nagy selects to start, he needs to scheme to their strengths.

I think "what Mitch could handle at the time" is part of it. If you come in as a rookie HC thinking you have some complicated plan to play football that would take years to get, and you have a rookie or basic inexperienced QB, you've probably outsmarted yourself.
Nobody picks up a book from a rookie HC and says they've been in the mind of a genius.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Nagy needs to pretend Mitch is black and maybe he will realize that he is a running QB that can occassionally make a great pass.

Seems Nagy thinks Mitch's whiteness means he is supposed to be a pocket QB despite all evidence to the contrary.

P.S. The intent was not for the above to be taken seriously.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
As well as Mitch can run, he still looks tentative doing it. Makes you wonder how good of an athlete he could be with better awareness. I said early on that he didn't seem the sharpest pencil in the box but it doesn't always relate to field play. So far it has.:(

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
While these might be factors why the Bears were not successful, it does not excuse poor execution by the QB. I am in the thought process that Trubisky had an opportunity to make the best of a poor situation, and instead of elevating his play he actually contributed to the dysfunction, by being inaccurate and unable to process defenses.

I wonder if the the offense looks plain and unimaginative, because the players are not able to execute basic plays....

The changes in coaching staff indicates that Nagy and Pace were not happy with player execution, but that still falls on Nagy.

I get the whole idea of developing a game plan around the strengths of your players, but when your QB gets hurt running and that is his biggest strength, then you are screwed.

I am not giving Nagy a free pass but Trubisky is not a good QB, period.

BrunoTheRed

Liked Posts:
Mitch just doesn't see the field. He doesn't see wide open receivers he should be passing to, and holds onto the ball too long.

Frankly, he'd be best suited for a roll out type offense like Minnesota runs with Kirk Cousins, and a poor man's Cousins is as good as Mitch is ever going to get, if he's lucky.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
While these might be factors why the Bears were not successful, it does not excuse poor execution by the QB. I am in the thought process that Trubisky had an opportunity to make the best of a poor situation, and instead of elevating his play he actually contributed to the dysfunction, by being inaccurate and unable to process defenses.

I wonder if the the offense looks plain and unimaginative, because the players are not able to execute basic plays....

The changes in coaching staff indicates that Nagy and Pace were not happy with player execution, but that still falls on Nagy.

I get the whole idea of developing a game plan around the strengths of your players, but when your QB gets hurt running and that is his biggest strength, then you are screwed.

It is clear to everyone Mitch is not a franchise QB that can evelate himself and the guys around him.

I am just saying Nagy treated him like he was as if he recognized Mitch sucked then you dont have him throw it 40 or 50 times.

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
i may be mistaken but I think Mitch's wonderlic was higher than mahomes

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Wonderlic is about as useful to football as a prospect being good at Madden.

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
Wonderlic is about as useful to football as a prospect being good at Madden.
well it's supposed to be indicative of mental aptitude but I think qb involves a diff skill than getting answers correct....interestingly trub's draft profile told us he reads/sees the field well

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:

Didn't Vick have an injury shortened career? You go with what you have. Either way you're screwed early and looking for another QB sooner than you hoped.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
well it's supposed to be indicative of mental aptitude but I think qb involves a diff skill than getting answers correct....interestingly trub's draft profile told us he reads/sees the field well

Windows are so large in college and offenses design so much pre-snap, pre-determined ans half field reads that I dont put much stock in stuff like reada the field well. Fedora's O made the reads fairly easy for him.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
I watch a lot of Chris Simms and his general opinion of the bears is not so much that Nagy ruined trubisky, but he thinks very little of Nagy in general. He thinks his offense is basic and unimaginative.

I tend to agree with this. But I also think Nagy becomes this way when he loses faith in his players (that is no defense. He still SHOULDN'T get that way regardless of who is under center or kicking FGs etc).

If he doesn't change - or cannot change - this next Black Monday, the bell tolls for him imo. And I will understand it fully.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
i may be mistaken but I think Mitch's wonderlic was higher than mahomes

Wonderlic is a weird test. I mean, as a physics guy, I could do better at math under pressure than all these QBs put together (maybe. Fitzmagic might have done well. I imagine Craig Krenzel probably did very well with that too),

but no GM should draft me to read a defense under pressure, I promise. Sometimes QBs like Mahomes come along and can just read defenses under pressure naturally but it will not register on the Wonderlic.