Christian Watson having problems in OTA

msadows

Liked Posts:
Was never a major fan but wouldn't have minded taking him if he dropped to our 2nd rounder due to the physical talent.

But D2 guys who are raw don't work out very often. Especially ones who can't catch and run routes.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Source? Didn't come from anyone with the Packers. Nothing even close to this is out there from any credible source.

It's funny, because the Packers already had their mandatory mini-camp, at which I attended a open practice at Ray Nitschke Field. I saw no signs of Christian having issues catching the ball.
Cool I have deposited $5000 in crisp $100 bills into the official Bears/Packers secured Zelle betting account (Confirmation #9034vx67t8) for the "more drops bet V. Jones vs C. Watson", awaiting your confirmed deposit.

Last edited:

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cool I have deposited $5000 in crisp $100 bills into the official Bears/Packers secured Zelle betting account (Confirmation #9034vx67t8) for the "more drops bet V. Jones vs C. Watson", awaiting your confirmed deposit.

How do you know those $100s are crisp? Be careful not to over-promise, yanno.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
The issue is that he had drops in college and it is happening again in his first practices in the NFL. It's like a guy who has issues not studying the playbook being caught golfing instead of attending OTA's.

Can it be fixed? Ofcourse. And he likely has a year to do it as the Packers WRs under Rodgers have not had to contribute a lot. Is it a red flag? Yes. There are numerous examples of WRs who washed out of the NFL that had the talent but couldn't hold onto the football.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
He can definitely fix the issue but it isn't something that all receivers fix coming into the NFL. Problem is that he has a QB who probably isn't going to be so forgiving if he has a big drop(or 2) in his first few NFL games. Potential is there especially with his size and speed, most receivers with his attributes(and those drops)usually go in the 2nd. If he didn't have the drop problems, then he would have gone in the 1st.

Watson will be fine he is going to need time to acclimate. Dude will be a standout special teamer his first year anyway.

You know who alsohad problems with drops during camp and pre season? Chase. He turned in a pretty good rookie season. Op is a tard too.

The issue is that he had drops in college and it is happening again in his first practices in the NFL. It's like a guy who has issues not studying the playbook being caught golfing instead of attending OTA's.

Can it be fixed? Ofcourse. And he likely has a year to do it as the Packers WRs under Rodgers have not had to contribute a lot. Is it a red flag? Yes. There are numerous examples of WRs who washed out of the NFL that had the talent but couldn't hold onto the football.

Difference is that Chase didn't have a history of drops like Watson does. But the premise is correct, he certainly can't be written off just because of some rookie jitters
Agreed, Chase and Watson are even not close to comparable. Chase was coming off a year off after on of the top 10 seasons by a WR in college history and had no issues with drops.

Knocking the rust off after 18 months without live action is a bit different than continuing to have the same problem that you have had your entire life.
And I tend to disagree about the degree to which this can be "fixed."
Like any skill, you can maximize the level at which you can perform that skill, but there is also a proficiency range of that physical talent that you are born with. Watson is a height/speed elite talent with ordinary joe hand eye coordination. The first has trumped the second, at least to the extent that he could overcome division 2 level talent, but now he will be playing against guys that are within the same sub-class ht/speed, so I think the bad hands are likely to become a more noticeable issue at the NFL level.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Do you even read my posts? I said he would be again somewhere in the WR6 range if the Packers had not let him go.

No, I wouldn't rank him higher than Lazard, Watkins, Cobb, Amari Rodgers if that is what you are looking for...the 3 rooks I have not seen enough of yet to fully compare them to EQ. Early showing is that Doubs is far more polished route runner than EQ ever was. Watson I would compare more to MVS as far as speed and being a deep threat. This is what I saw at mini-camp practice this past week when working with Aaron.
Nobody reads your posts in their entirety fyi

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Agreed, Chase and Watson are even not close to comparable. Chase was coming off a year off after on of the top 10 seasons by a WR in college history and had no issues with drops.

Knocking the rust off after 18 months without live action is a bit different than continuing to have the same problem that you have had your entire life.
Like any skill, you can maximize the level at which you can perform that skill, but there is also a proficiency range of that physical talent that you are born with. Watson is a height/speed elite talent with ordinary joe hand eye coordination. The first has trumped the second, at least to the extent that he could overcome division 2 level talent, but now he will be playing against guys that are within the same sub-class ht/speed, so I think the bad hands are likely to become a more noticeable issue at the NFL level.
We will see if he has already maximized his hand eye coordination. It could be that he has not worked on it because he could get away with the drops at the D2 level. Or it could be that this is who he is.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

Well put. I'd guess we would have to look receivers with similar drop numbers in college and if they were able to rectify it.

Nuremberg Bear

Liked Posts:
Warte, Nuremberg Bear sprichst deutch? Wonderbar! My wife and I are learning. In fact, we usually crack open some alcohol (beer for me, wine for her) and watch German tv through a VPN Friday or Saturday. We're saddened that Let the Music Play Das Hit Quiz was cancelled but at least Buchstaben Battle is coming back. It's great for German learners and Ruth Mochiner is super lustig.
Ja, ich bin aus Deutschland. ?

It's always good to learn by TV as I'm learning to write and read English on CCS.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Watson will likely be a good player but it’s going to take a few years to play out. You don’t play at such a small school and step into NFL live game action right away. Bears tried that with Shaheen and failed miserably, but Shaheen has worked himself into a decent player since. Likely a similar trajectory for Watson.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Watson will likely be a good player but it’s going to take a few years to play out. You don’t play at such a small school and step into NFL live game action right away. Bears tried that with Shaheen and failed miserably, but Shaheen has worked himself into a decent player since. Likely a similar trajectory for Watson.
70A0688F-EE8F-4328-A116-C7DAA01C3CAB.jpeg

Bears Backer 54

Liked Posts:
Trying to project anything onto a player based on OTA reports to date is definitely premature. Perhaps Watson's drops will be an issue but it feels like grasping at straws at this point. At least see what he does in some preseason action before getting too excited about it.

Rush

Fuck it, Go Deep
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Carolina Hurricanes
  1. Duke Blue Devils
APPARENTLY Having trouble with drops, apparently the question of him having the dropsy's, is real

I remember the reports about ja'marr chase too :(

PackerNation

Winning Is A Habit
Liked Posts:
Trying to project anything onto a player based on OTA reports to date is definitely premature. Perhaps Watson's drops will be an issue but it feels like grasping at straws at this point. At least see what he does in some preseason action before getting too excited about it.

Good to see some Bears fans don't base all their comments in lies and butthurt. "Grasping at straws" is very fitting for what this thread is all about. All of this started by the OP.

The tweet of at least one drop every practice in very early OTAs, changed to a tweet saying: "Showed off some speed and playmaking and hands were perfect" when Aaron Rodgers was the one running the offense at mandatory mini-camp last week.

Funny how a slightly negative tweet that even the person that tweeted it said was "probably not a big deal" got Bears fans all giddy. And had the OP making up lies like: "Christian Watson having problems in OTAs."

Such bitterness and jealousy that is all rooted in. I won't lie and say I don't enjoy witnessing all this pent up anger towards the Packers and their fans from some here.

Really enjoy the entertainment value.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
I didn't think much of Watson coming out of college, he might turn into a decent WR in a couple years. But, he'll probably just be another WR that goes from team to team after the rook contract