CJ Stroud Considering Ohio State Return?

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I don't see the benefits of him staying. It isn't likely he is going to find a much better a situation by waiting. Teams that pick at the top of the draft simply aren't the cream of the crop. Its better to sign a contract now, begin developing in a team's system, and start working towards that 2nd contract.
Does this simply come down to the likelihood Houston drafts second? They're that toxic he would pass on a chance to go #2? That says a lot, and it isn't good, about the Texans.

Cabbage King

Liked Posts:
Fields is the better prospect. Stroud might have the higher floor and plays quarterback the traditional way.

Stroud throws an absolutely beautiful football, and he knows when to throw with velocity or trajectory. His placement is immaculate. Physically, Fields outclassed him in every way. Stroud resets his mechanics quicker, meaning when having to step up or out of the pocket, he gets his legs under him and turns his shoulders quicker than Fields.

The biggest difference and my only question mark with Stroud are intangibles. Great kid, but his toughness has been questioned several times and he hasn't always shown up when needed. When he's rattled, he's visibly frustrated and his mechanics go shit. He misses throws high... very interceptable.

If I have a 7v7 tournament I need to win, I'll take Stroud. If my team needs a W against impossible odds, I'll take Fields.
Sounds like maybe we should take him

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
IDK what to think about Stroud staying. On one hand, I'm not sure what else he can do at the college level except personal things (beat Michigan, Heisman, national title). On the other hand, he's not a perfect prospect and could do some things better. But he's probably not going to be QB1 or even QB2 next year with potentially Caleb Williams and Drake Maye in the draft.

In theory, it could make the Bears #1 pick more valuable with fewer top options. But it could also work the opposite way, as Stroud has the potential to be a guy teams trade up to #1 for, especially if Young's measurables are worse than expected.

Even with NIL money, he won't get paid more than he would as a top 10 pick with signing bonus and all. Plus, it would potentially get him to the big money one year sooner. I hope he comes out for his sake, but again he gets to throw to a pair of 1st round WRs and a pair of top 10 WR recruits next year so maybe he can boost his stock or get some of that personal stuff accomplished.

Makes sense to start the rookie pay scale earlier, but he's only got this last one chance to enjoy being the big man on campus in his life. It would be a big risk though, I agree. Also agree with risk of 2 other top prospects coming next draft too. And injury.

Opposite.
The greeter the supply of top QBs the less of a need to worry about getting THE guy since your guy might fall to you. Remember, teams view QBs differently *cough* Shanahan *Try Lance*.

Now, if there’s only THE guy and a cliff to just some dudes, that guy’s valuable.

Great point. There's more QB needy teams than there are QBs, so = seller's market. Moreover, teams overpay to ensure they get THEIR GUY, vs any of the 2-3 probably decent prospects that may fall.

And trading an entire 1st round pick (likely to be a high 1st) simply to move ONE SPOT seems logical to you?

I mean don’t get me wrong… I’d love it…

Example of above, the 3 to 2 move for Mitch included a pretty hefty haul of several picks. 2 to 1 should be worth a mid 1st. Especially this draft. Overpay? of course but...

Overall, everybody can cite various trades that were overpays and underpays vs. previous ones and the "chart". It's too wide a range of possibilities to call people out on their speculations as crazy pie in sky or cheap. Not saying you are, but in general, it's so speculative.

I just hope if the market and trade down isn't as juicy as the most optimistic fans & media are projecting, the Bears don't get lambasted as "got fleeced again" or some BS. Overall reality & perspective is that Lovie earned them extra picks no matter what, which is a gift.

Last edited:

bufordht

Liked Posts:
And trading an entire 1st round pick (likely to be a high 1st) simply to move ONE SPOT seems logical to you?

I mean don’t get me wrong… I’d love it…
Yes, to keep Indy from jumping them and taking the best QB in the draft...

TonyDogs

Liked Posts:
Sounds like maybe we should take him
I know you're just being obnoxious, but the issue is that Stroud for the most part absolutely disintegrates under pressure. Fields might hold the ball too long at times, but he's always looking to throw someone open or take off. Stroud has looked completely frightened and distraught under heavy pass rush.

Stroud doesn't survive what Fields has had to deal with his first two years.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Example of above, the 3 to 2 move for Mitch included a pretty hefty haul of several picks. 2 to 1 should be worth a mid 1st. Especially this draft. Overpay? of course but...

Overall, everybody can cite various trades that were overpays and underpays vs. previous ones and the "chart". It's too wide a range of possibilities to call people out on their speculations as crazy pie in sky or cheap. Not saying you are, but in general, it's so speculative.

I just hope if the market and trade down isn't as juicy as the most optimistic fans & media are projecting, the Bears don't get lambasted as "got fleeced again" or some BS. Overall reality & perspective is that Lovie earned them extra picks no matter what, which is a gift.

Two 3rds and a 4th is a lot. But there’s a very good chance the Texans are picking in the top 10 again next year. That would be insanity. But I guess we will all see.

What I really wanted to comment on was your “fleeced” comment. That’s exactly where this is going IMO. Unless Poles pulls off the trade of the century a large portion of the fan base is going to be upset when the hype doesn’t match reality.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He needs to show the willingness to run when it’s there. Doesn’t have to be the second coming of fields but way to often he throws it away rather than leg it even if hes got an open field in front of him. Obviously a great passer with otherworldly accuracy. As a buckeye fan for 68 years i hope he stays in columbus. With young being the only other option, no disrespect to levis, it should really make the first pick a lot more valuable. Just my humble opinion
He did that in the championship game. How often did he need to do that where it would have made a difference in the outcome of a game. The possible exception was against Michigan but it seems he learned that lesson very quickly.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I know you're just being obnoxious, but the issue is that Stroud for the most part absolutely disintegrates under pressure. Fields might hold the ball too long at times, but he's always looking to throw someone open or take off. Stroud has looked completely frightened and distraught under heavy pass rush.

Stroud doesn't survive what Fields has had to deal with his first two years.
Has he ever missed a game in college?
Post before this said he didn't run enough and running a lot which can also get you killed. He's also a quick decision maker that can climb a pocket. None of this is to imply he's better than Fields. They're different but in a couple of those ways, he's taking fewer shots than Fields did last year. How often is Lamar close to the player he can be in the playoffs? How did Fields finish?

Last edited:

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

You sure do reply a lot to a guy that “no one is listening to” and “no one cares what I think.”

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
He's projected by most to go Top 2. Seems that supposed rep isn't hurting.
GMs evaluate differently than media expert pundits do. All I’m saying is that this conflict exists. If it does it exist, and he’s considering going back, there must be a reason other than love of the game for him going back. The financial consideration of NIL cash and a chance at first overall pick, sure, but why not come out this year and get the clock going? Maybe he got bad news that he won’t be top 5? Remember, Fields was a solid number two until he dropped like a number 2 to us at 11. There is precedent. All I’m saying is he may bet on himself and hedge those bets with available resources.

TonyDogs

Liked Posts:
Has he ever missed a game in college?
Post before this said he didn't run enough and running a lot which can also get you killed. He's also a quick decision maker that can climb a pocket. None of this is to imply he's better than Fields. They're different but in a couple of those ways, he's taking fewer shots than Fields did last year. How often is Lamar close to the player he can be in the playoffs? How did Fields finish?
I mean, he's also in college. As an amateur, Fields' was only hurt on that dirty shot to the ribs he took against Clemson. Even then, he came back that series and threw a touchdown. Fields wasn't even a runner in college... he ran for less than 600 total yards in his 3 years IIRC. He's only running now out of necessity..

And if Stroud had to play for the Bears last year or this year I'm almost certain that he ends up physically ot mentally maimed.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I mean, he's also in college. As an amateur, Fields' was only hurt on that dirty shot to the ribs he took against Clemson. Even then, he came back that series and threw a touchdown. Fields wasn't even a runner in college... he ran for less than 600 total yards in his 3 years IIRC. He's only running now out of necessity..

And if Stroud had to play for the Bears last year or this year I'm almost certain that he ends up physically ot mentally maimed.
Fields ran for 383 yards in 8 games in his last college year. That's almost 50ypg. He ran plenty for a QB. I wouldn't project any of what you suggest for Stroud as there is absolutely no way to know. Burrow had taken over 3 sacks per game his 1st 2 years and turned out pretty good. They're all different and it's wrong to project beyond their overall goodness. The O with CJ would have been called differently.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If he is likely to go #2 this year, I believe that it would be a terrible idea for him to stay in college.

#1 - how often do those QBs who try to improve their stock actually worsen their stock by not playing well enough. He is trading away certain money for the hope of being ...
#2 - why get out of the draft this year when he is almost assured of being the #2 QB off the board and get into the 2024 where, if he does well, is almost assured to be the #3 or later QB taken? The 2024 draft class is stacked and he is almost assured of being drafted in a worse slot than he would have if he had stayed in the 2023 draft
#3 - by staying in college, he not only has the chance of shitting the bed and worsening his draft stock in a draft where he will already be drafted later than he would in 2023, but he also would add one more year until he can really get paid in free agency, not some piddly NIL money.
While I agree with most of what you say, it is also very presumptious of you to assume he would be the number 3 or later pick next year. having another year under his belt could boost is draft stock for 2024, and some of these projected higher pick QB's could just as easlily, or even more likely, shit the bed as well.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Houston would not be oblivious to the fact their number 2 pick has more value than Indy's number 4. So assuming they will "outbid" Seattle is short sighted. If The Bears trade down to #4 very good chance bye bye to Carter and Anderson. A fact you don't seem to acknowledge.

Last edited:

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
I really don'tknow, but Houston really isnt as terrible if a landing soot as its made out to be. They do need to find a competent coach. But outside of that they have plenty of future cap space to build around their guy.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
The only way its good for Chicago if Stroud declares is a trade with Houston and then another trade back from 2.

That's where Chicago gets a massive haul.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I really don'tknow, but Houston really isnt as terrible if a landing soot as its made out to be. They do need to find a competent coach. But outside of that they have plenty of future cap space to build around their guy.
You're referring to market and roster. The front office is a shit show.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The only way its good for Chicago if Stroud declares is a trade with Houston and then another trade back from 2.

That's where Chicago gets a massive haul.
I really don't think it changes much. Certain teams will prefer one or the other and even a 3rd. More teams thinking there guy might be gone is the buffer. Pick may become more or less valuable depending on circumstances surrounding preference and players.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'd think his draft stock would be at an all time high with how well he played against Georgia.

Now the question becomes if the #1 pick would be more or less valuable. I'm guessing more, maybe?
It depends on what QB the teams willing to trade up were interested in. If they thought either Stroud or Young were worthy of trading up, then Stroud not being in the draft makes him staying in college more valuable to the Bears.

But if Stroud was "the guy" that teams wanted to trade up for, and him no longer being available, it decreases the value of the Bears pick.

It also kills the value in any "double trade down" scenario of that second trade.

Last edited:

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Two 3rds and a 4th is a lot. But there’s a very good chance the Texans are picking in the top 10 again next year. That would be insanity. But I guess we will all see.

What I really wanted to comment on was your “fleeced” comment. That’s exactly where this is going IMO. Unless Poles pulls off the trade of the century a large portion of the fan base is going to be upset when the hype doesn’t match reality.
Any trade down that results in additional draft picks and still allows the Bears to take either Carter or Anderson is a win. Anything else is a crap shoot. 1st round picks fail all the time. Take the sure thing.