College Football Canceling and the Draft

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It is possible (likely?) that they are going to send students home if there is a big out-break in the 4-6 weeks. Some students will want to stay on campus and still study remotely. However, in some university towns the health care systems won't be able to handle the increase in sick people. Then if they are sent home what happens to the rent they paid at their apartments and/or university housing? Do they have to pay the same tuition as in-person instruction? The schools wanted them on campus to justify college football. Now that football has been cancelled in the Big 10 who knows what will happen.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Drafting will be a crap shoot, very bad news for Bears opponents.
FIFY. So that will level the playing field for Pace. He might even get a 1st kinda right.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Good luck with that.
I don't understand what is so funny. It is a plan. It's more than anything the NCAA has proposed. The biggest flaw is that we have no idea what COVID will look like in Jan. 2021. If it's still raging like it is now, you're fucked for Spring ball.

Plus, with this plan, we would get college football year round assuming SEC/BIG12/ACC play their fall season. What's not to like?

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Big Ten screwed the pooch cancelling fall sports. The shortsightedness is laughable. Kids are still going to some classes live, living in dorms, eating in dining halls, having parties. Anyone thinking that the athletes are safer in that unstructured setting is fooling themselves.

Two things that factored into The Big Ten's decision:

The Big Ten, in their hubris, counted on everyone following their lead like with the the conference only season.

They want deniability for sick kids. The fact that the student athletes are at more risk outside the team structure doesn't matter to them , what matters is that when they do get sick , they can't blame (aka sue) the athletic departments.

Now it looks like they are going to be left standing with no chair when the music stops.
The conferences cancelling are just covering their own asses. Going to be a liability nightmare.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Big Ten screwed the pooch cancelling fall sports. The shortsightedness is laughable. Kids are still going to some classes live, living in dorms, eating in dining halls, having parties. Anyone thinking that the athletes are safer in that unstructured setting is fooling themselves.

The Big Ten, in their hubris, counted on everyone following their lead like with the the conference only season.

They want deniability for sick kids. The fact that the student athletes are at more risk outside the team structure doesn't matter to them , what matters is that when they do get sick , they can't blame (aka sue) the athletic departments.

Now it looks like they are going to be left standing with no chair when the music stops.
Agreed that they didn't need to cancel it YET. Probably just push back to Sept 25 and then wait as long as possible.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
I don't understand what is so funny. It is a plan. It's more than anything the NCAA has proposed. The biggest flaw is that we have no idea what COVID will look like in Jan. 2021. If it's still raging like it is now, you're fucked for Spring ball.

Plus, with this plan, we would get college football year round assuming SEC/BIG12/ACC play their fall season. What's not to like?
I would love it. Just can not see that happening. Plans are nice and all. But I can put together a plan on how I am going to start dating Jessica Biel and doesn't mean much if it's not realistic.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers

What would be the point? Will the Big Ten and Pac12 hold their equivalent to the NIT, with a 2 conference National championship, months after the rest of the teams are at spring practice. Bright side, at least with Clemson, LSU, Florida, and Bama already done, Ohio St would have to be the favorites.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
What would be the point? Will the Big Ten and Pac12 hold their equivalent to the NIT, with a 2 confrence National championship, months after the rest of the teams are at spring practice. Bright side, at least with Clemson, LSU, Florida, and Bama already done, Ohio St would have to be the favorites.
I guess the point would be to give college athletes a season at a point in time that might not be so dangerous?

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
The conferences cancelling are just covering their own asses. Going to be a liability nightmare.

It will be interesting to see what the student athlete vs general student population infection rate ends up being. But as I said, their concern is not the safest student athlete experience, just the most legally defendable.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I guess the point would be to give college athletes a season at a point in time that might not be so dangerous?
Again, that assumes that it is more dangerous to be in athletic structure vs out of it. I honestly believe it will end up being the opposite

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Omg could you imagine?

Are you a UNC fan? Like Trubs coming out too?

Yes and yes. I liked Mitch but there were concerns.

Howell is a MUCH better prospect already, IMO.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
It'll be B.Purdy or J.Newman for us if we decide to go QB with our 1st rounder. Would love to be able to get Fields or Lance but we won't be picking high enough.

bufordht

Liked Posts:
The draft is always a crap shoot. I don't think it'll be much different. Less guys will declare early I'm sure, so the pool will be smaller. But I'm guessing the success rate is about the same. Does all the tape really help that much? They do all the research and end up with a 50 50 shot.

inchibearfan

Liked Posts:

This. If I was a college football player and they canceled, I would have have been out partying every weekemd with a lot of other different people.

inchibearfan

Liked Posts:

inchibearfan

Liked Posts:

inchibearfan

Liked Posts:
Again, that assumes that it is more dangerous to be in athletic structure vs out of it. I honestly believe it will end up being the opposite

They do care about the health and safety of the players, they just do not want any liability.

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Joe Burrow would have been a 6th rounder without his senior season lol.

If we get a spring college season though (which there is some chatter from the B1G), I would imagine they just push the draft back till summer.
June 2nd is the farthest they could push the draft back without having to make a deal with the PLayers association

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
maybe if completely cancelled, just trade our high picks to bank on the future, cause them rookies are gonna be rusty AF in 2021. not worth it to spend high picks in draft for a few early rounds players who don't play this year IMO. NFL should force a late draft if possible and push the start of next season back.
Double the ammunition for our early draft pick(s) in the 2022 draft.