Connor Shaw injury....

Zion

Magitek Knight
Liked Posts:
I saw on my phone an alert popped up that Shaw tweeted then immediately deleted that he was mad at the dude that hit him. Felt it was a dirty hit.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
It absolutely was a dirty hit. If that would have happened on Rodgers, that player would already be on death row.

Bort

Liked Posts:
It's a real shame and I wish Shaw a speedy recovery.

Shaw was never going to be the #2 without Hoyer or Cutler getting hurt.

Hoyer: W-L 15-11, 38 TD's, 26 picks, 82.2 rating.
Shaw: W-L 0-1, 0 TD's, 1 pick, 55.2 rating.

I understand how much we all love 3rd stringers in August. Peter Tom Willis was great 26 Augusts ago.

Willis: W-L 0-3, 6 TD's, 15 picks, 54.9 rating.

It's nice to see Shaw get all the love here, but really, career 3rd stringer.

Shaw played in one NFL game as a rookie two years ago. That's it. You can't extrapolate how someone's career is going to turn out from one game in their rookie season.

On the other hand, Hoyer is in his 8th season with 1000 career pass attempts in 43 games, and has been pretty consistently awful. Hoyer's career highlight was playing surprisingly average for about half a season, and then capping it off with one of the worst playoff performances in NFL history.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think you are reading too much into it. Guy tried to sack the QB, there is no rule about leaving his feet. It was unfortunate, end of story.

Honestly, Fox would never go with such an inexperienced guy at #2. In reality, it doesn't effect the Bears in the least. He will heal up and maybe be on the PS mid-season. And if you want to get real honest, it allows the Bears to bring in a guy , like potentially Kevin Hogan, that could be a numbers cut, to the PS and see what they can do. Once Shaw is healed they can either resign him or stick with whomever they decide to add to the PS.

I'd love for the BEars to acquire Hogan if they can.

pepethebear

Liked Posts:
I saw on my phone an alert popped up that Shaw tweeted then immediately deleted that he was mad at the dude that hit him. Felt it was a dirty hit.
If you watch the vine of the hit posted earlier in the thread a couple times over I'm not sure how you could draw any other conclusion. Its made even worse by the fact the game didn't even count and he had pretty much nothing to gain by hitting him like that.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's a real shame and I wish Shaw a speedy recovery.

Shaw was never going to be the #2 without Hoyer or Cutler getting hurt.

Hoyer: W-L 15-11, 38 TD's, 26 picks, 82.2 rating.
Shaw: W-L 0-1, 0 TD's, 1 pick, 55.2 rating.

I understand how much we all love 3rd stringers in August. Peter Tom Willis was great 26 Augusts ago.

Willis: W-L 0-3, 6 TD's, 15 picks, 54.9 rating.

It's nice to see Shaw get all the love here, but really, career 3rd stringer.

Bah...I couldn't disagree more

Cutler (1st) + Shaw (2nd) + O-line help > Cutler (1st) Hoyer (2nd) and O-line as it currently is. That is the point I was trying to make, granted neither situation is ideal. At any rate, it's a moot point now.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Shaw was the only thing in that game that was even remotely interesting. But you gotta remember, he was playing with and against players that won't even be in the league in a few weeks.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Shaw played in one NFL game as a rookie two years ago. That's it. You can't extrapolate how someone's career is going to turn out from one game in their rookie season.

On the other hand, Hoyer is in his 8th season with 1000 career pass attempts in 43 games, and has been pretty consistently awful. Hoyer's career highlight was playing surprisingly average for about half a season, and then capping it off with one of the worst playoff performances in NFL history.

Hoyer went 10-6 with the fucking Browns in '13 and '14. Last season td/int 19-7. Shaw's best stat is that nobody will play him so he has a small sample size of suckage.

I've just seen too many August all pro's that just suck when shit gets real. There is no way Shaw was ever going to leapfrog Hoyer on the DC. Of course none of this matters now.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
So was Hoyer, and he looked like dogshit. That's the part that scares me.

It's only scary if you expected this team to be competitive....the only thing it will be competing for is the first pick in next years draft. But they'll probably lose that as well to Cleveland.

Bort

Liked Posts:
Hoyer went 10-6 with the fucking Browns in '13 and '14. Last season td/int 19-7. Shaw's best stat is that nobody will play him so he has a small sample size of suckage.

I've just seen too many August all pro's that just suck when shit gets real. There is no way Shaw was ever going to leapfrog Hoyer on the DC. Of course none of this matters now.

.....with a quarterback rating in the 70s and a Rate+ of like 84. They were winning in spite of Hoyer, not because of him.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
.....with a quarterback rating in the 70s and a Rate+ of like 84. They were winning in spite of Hoyer, not because of him.

So that's what makes Shaw such a stud!

Face it, we are talking about Cutlers backup not the HOF. Hoyer has proven he is much better than Shaw, the numbers all favor Hoyer, which makes him the thinnest kid at fat camp. The only stats Shaw has in his favor are that no one would ever let him play. High praise.

"Shaw to Braverman for the TD" will live on in our hearts forever, and nowhere else.

Bort

Liked Posts:
So that's what makes Shaw such a stud!

Face it, we are talking about Cutlers backup not the HOF. Hoyer has proven he is much better than Shaw, the numbers all favor Hoyer, which makes him the thinnest kid at fat camp. The only stats Shaw has in his favor are that no one would ever let him play. High praise.

"Shaw to Braverman for the TD" will live on in our hearts forever, and nowhere else.

I'm not arguing that Shaw is a stud. I'm arguing that Hoyer is terrible. If Pace and Fox decide to go into the season with Hoyer as the backup after the way he's played this preseason, they'll be making a huge mistake.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm not arguing that Shaw is a stud. I'm arguing that Hoyer is terrible. If Pace and Fox decide to go into the season with Hoyer as the backup after the way he's played this preseason, they'll be making a huge mistake.

Shaw was never going to be the answer, the Bears are better off at QB2 this season than last. Shaw getting hurt may have saved Fales job, that is not good.

jc456

Liked Posts:
I'd be amazed if he plays again this season. All reports are of an injury deformity, read broken bone, in his shin and it just looked terrible. They showed the replay a few times and it looked his his standing foot was being held with his was turned and crumpled by another tackler. The fact that all the Bears players were kneeling or had their head in their hands said it all. Wish him a speedy recovery and he looked good out there: a bit of athleticism and good touch on his passes.

Where does this leave us with QB though. Can we seriously go in with Hoyer as back up the way he's looked in pre-season? Fales is not an option.
it was the same kind of tackle that ended Theisman's career. I doubt the kid plays another down. The tackler held his jersey and then fell right on the leg and snap. it's on you tube. you can watch it.

jc456

Liked Posts:
Shaw was never going to be the answer, the Bears are better off at QB2 this season than last. Shaw getting hurt may have saved Fales job, that is not good.
are you suggesting Hoyer? stink up the field Hoyer? have you even been watching how bad that mofo is? wtf is that? LOL dude that's just bad.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
are you suggesting Hoyer? stink up the field Hoyer? have you even been watching how bad that mofo is? wtf is that? LOL dude that's just bad.

Hoyer is not a good QB, he is infinitely better than Shaw. Read back a few posts, I've already explained this.

Bort

Liked Posts:
Hoyer is not a good QB, he is infinitely better than Shaw. Read back a few posts, I've already explained this.

I feel like you have to be either blind or Special person to say that Hoyer is "infinitely better" than Shaw after watching them through the first 3 preseason games.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Hoyer had 6 TD's last year after the Texans were down 21+