Consequences of keeping Nagy and Pace

Toast88

Liked Posts:
1) As a result of keeping Nagy and Pace, the Bears are firmly in win-now mode. Having a losing season basically guarantees them gone after 2021 (although with this ownership, who knows?), so watch for Pace and Nagy to make whatever changes to the 2021 roster they can to make it temporarily better.

This will mean tweaked improvements to the roster while mortgaging future assets, because Pace and Nagy have zero incentive to think about how their 2021 actions will affect the 2022 Bears and beyond. This will not be good for the Bears long-term, but what do they care?

2) Because of #1, don't expect the Bears to draft a quarterback. A rookie quarterback with a #20 pick, or even trading up around #10 or so, probably doesn't make you better in 2021 when they could draft other assets that help them immediately or trade those draft picks away for established assets.

3) Re-signing Allen Robinson becomes a must. Letting Allen Robinson walk makes an anemic offense even worse. That can't happen for Pace and Nagy in 2021. I suspect they'll give Robinson the cheaper of the two options between a new contract and a franchise tag.

4) You've now pissed off the defensive players. I'm in the camp of people who believed Chuck Pagano needed to be fired. He wasn't properly using what's still a good defense. He wasn't making them better. But he was very well-liked by the players, and the defensive players know that they're not **the reason** for the disappointing 2020 season. They know the offense is the main problem with this team, but their guy got fired and the offense's architect is still alive and well on the team. That's gotta piss them off.

5) Trubisky coming back seems more likely. This could go either way, but the point is that Pace and Nagy need the best damn quarterback they can get for 2021. No projects, no draft picks. But they may not be **able** to get a Wentz or a Prescott. Trubisky may unfortunately be the best they can get. I know, I know. Trubisky isn't good. And I'm fully in favor of moving on from him. But unless they trade for an established veteran who is definitely better, I don't see them getting their hands on anyone who's better specifically for the 2021 season.

6) There's basically a guarantee of a house cleaning at the end of the 2021, as the window closes on the defense and time runs out on the offense. Call me a pessimist, but I don't think all the desperation moves that Pace and Nagy make this offseason will result in a winning season. This moment, right now, would've been such a perfect time to start a mini-rebuild/reload with a new GM. The defense is still good, but not great. It's the perfect time to move on from Trubisky and set up the next step in the QB process while focusing on surrounding that quarterback with good, young assets over the next couple of years, whether you'd want to acquire that next long-term quarterback this offseason or wait for the next draft while using a bridge.

7) It's going to be hard for them to get a good DC. What defensive coordinator candidate worth their salt is going to walk into a one-year rental situation? The beat writers disagree with this, but I believe this makes promoting from within more likely. This means Jay Rodgers may be your new DC. This means Ted Monachino may be your new DC.

I fuckin' hate this, man. If it were me (who gives a shit, but hey, this is a message board for opinions), I would've fired Pace and let the new GM decide whether they want to keep Nagy, and plan to roll into 2021 as a mini-rebuild year: Shed the Leno and Massie contracts, plan on cutting or trading Mack and Hicks at the end of 2021 (It's not really possible to get rid of them before that), draft a QB in the second or third round, roll with Foles as my 2021 shitty starter, understanding that we're probably going to have a shitty season and draft fairly high in the 2022 draft, then draft my QB of the future with my 2022 first round pick. By then, my new GM will probably have picked their next coach to go with the new QB. Hey, better than the Bears' plan for the future.

The desperation moves that are about to be made by Pace are going to hamper the Bears for years.

Last edited:

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Ownership/Front office are so stupid, that they probably didn't even think about the whole "mortgage the Bears entire future to save our jobs in 2021" scenario that is most likely going to happen by retaining Pace and Nagy.

If our 1st/2nd/3rd round picks in 2022 get traded, I will literally go root for my hometown Browns for the next few years.

I've actually been thinking about this sort of thing for a while. Here comes a fucking tangent. I'm a Chicago Bears/Cleveland Indians(or whatever they're going to be called)/Cleveland Cavaliers fan. Those are 3 dumpster fire organizations. Granted, the Indians haven't been terrible the last few years, but they refuse to spend money. Their 2021 payroll right now is $22 million after dumping Lindor/Carrasco. Have you ever seen a baseball payroll that low? Lol.

I'm a fan of all these teams that don't really prioritize winning. The owners are either fucking inept, or cheapskates, or both! Their ineptitude means the people that they hire to run their organizations are inept. Which results in mediocrity being the ceiling. Why continue to be a fan? Why not go do a little bit of research, and just pick a new team based on how well the organization is run?

Not to say that I'm going to do it, but god damn, sports suck when all your teams are fucking shit. The whole point of being a sports fan is to enjoy it. I can endure and enjoy losing seasons, so long as the arrow is pointing up, and there is hope on the horizon. But guess what? There isn't any. Fuck me.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
They aren't going to be much if any better next year with Trubisky. The better play for them (not the org) is to draft QB, and maybe to trade up for QB, and hope that guy shows something and they can sell hope to the McCaskeys. They will have to use their first rounder and maybe more for this because after the first six QBs the talent falls of a cliff (sort of after the first four or five imo) and there are zero guys who have more than a 5% chance to be impactful next year.

It's also likely they will make some really dumb dumb moves in pushing salary forward and maybe extending a couple vets they shouldn't and potentially mising a trade window. Will likely put them on track for an opening again in about 2024 rather than 2022. I love Hicks but you can see the cliff coming. Mack's contract is already ridiculously backloaded. Fuller has a lot of value right now, who knows three years down the road when they might compete again.

Regime change and rebuild was the only path forward after how the team just tanked this year. George failed miserably. He will get the team he deserves.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Here's a conspiracy theory. Nagy called the O he did in the last 2 games because he and Pace knew their jobs were secure, this team wasn't going anywhere and it would lower Mitches price, LOL. Had Mitch performed very well in the last 2 games, he would have demanded real money on the market.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Biggs was just on Mullys show talking about potential defensive coordinators and said back when Fangio left he put a slip in to take Sean Desai with him to Denver because he's a really intelligent, young football mind and the bears blocked it. He was held in a similar regard as Brandon Staley. Could be a possible internal promotion.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Here's a conspiracy theory. Nagy called the O he did in the last 2 games because he and Pace knew their jobs were secure, this team wasn't going anywhere and it would lower Mitches price, LOL. Had Mitch performed very well in the last 2 games, he would have demanded real money on the market.
Alex Jones does sports conspiracy theories too? lol.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
I don’t think they bring back Trubisky if they think their job depends on 2021 success, we’ve seen that schedule there’s only 5-6 wins for a Trubisky led team there. You either sell out on a big trade for a Watson or Ryan type established QB; or you draft one at 20, hope he shows promise during the season, and try and buy time for yourself with his success.

Anyone with half a brain could see the “these 2 will likely trade future assets for a smaller immediate return to save their skins” issue, but unfortunately we have George McCaskey running point on this franchise. You could say George can just veto any bad decisions Pace tries to make, but that would require ownership to know the difference between good and bad decisions - and that’s a big reason why the franchise got this problem in the first place. I also don’t see the logic in bringing back a Struggling GM and coach just to handicap them - if he couldn’t do the job with 2 hands why would you expect them to do better with 1 hand tied behind their back? Go get new guys if that’s the case, you morons at Halas Hall.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
It is but the bears don't have much in the way of tradable assets imo.
Yeah what would it be like three first rounders and change? And I think with Watson this is probably a playoff team, those first rounders are not supper attractive.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Yeah what would it be like three first rounders and change? And I think with Watson this is probably a playoff team, those first rounders are not supper attractive.
I will put the pace race thing aside just to entertain this idea of getting Watson. Idt they would pull the trigger cause Naggy fragile ego. Watson would roast that mental midget if he continues to call this shit offensive game plan.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
For sure. If Watson gets dealt this offseason I think it would be the biggest trade in terms of compensation the NFL has ever seen.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I will put the pace race thing aside just to entertain this idea of getting Watson. Idt they would pull the trigger cause Naggy fragile ego. Watson would roast that mental midget if he continues to call this shit offensive game plan.
We'd definitely see how much of that shit gameplan was on Mitch being awful.