Could David Price be on the Cubs radar?

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
The Rays will not shop him this year, but they know that they won't be able to resign him after next year and will probably try to unload him in the off season.

As a 25 year old he would fit into the 2015/2016 plans for the rotation, and considering we are now loaded with top talent we could offer them something they want.

I am not good at suggesting the right people to trade for him but I know if Hoyer is eyeing him it could be done.

Also what about a former Theo guy Ellsbury coming over? A bit old for the plan but could serve us well when the youngsters do get here.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Rays will not shop him this year, but they know that they won't be able to resign him after next year and will probably try to unload him in the off season.

As a 25 year old he would fit into the 2015/2016 plans for the rotation, and considering we are now loaded with top talent we could offer them something they want.

I am not good at suggesting the right people to trade for him but I know if Hoyer is eyeing him it could be done.

Also what about a former Theo guy Ellsbury coming over? A bit old for the plan but could serve us well when the youngsters do get here.

My thing is that if Cubs give up their top talent for Price then what be left for Cubs to bring up to help big league team??? Adding Price to this group does nothing. Cubs are banking on specs in minors now to be core group. They cant trade bunch together for 1 guy cause then nothing else be around to help Price win. Cubs are still 3+ yrs from making a big move like this. They have to see what prospects stick from this group and the next wave of prospects is where you hope they can package something to get a stud to help young core guys. Why people thinking Cubs be competiting by 2015 makes me laugh. For that to happen would need alot to go right

chibears55

Liked Posts:
david price..they will wait til he a FA..
jacoby ellsbury is prob. going to be the first FA they go after and try to sign right away..

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
david price..they will wait til he a FA..
jacoby ellsbury is prob. going to be the first FA they go after and try to sign right away..

God i hope not. He had 1 good yr in his career. He hurt way to often and he a speed guy. Once speed goes he a 4th OF

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
My thing is that if Cubs give up their top talent for Price then what be left for Cubs to bring up to help big league team??? Adding Price to this group does nothing. Cubs are banking on specs in minors now to be core group. They cant trade bunch together for 1 guy cause then nothing else be around to help Price win. Cubs are still 3+ yrs from making a big move like this. They have to see what prospects stick from this group and the next wave of prospects is where you hope they can package something to get a stud to help young core guys. Why people thinking Cubs be competiting by 2015 makes me laugh. For that to happen would need alot to go right

Correct.

If Tampa can develop Price, Shileds, Hellickson, Moore, Cobb, Niemann, and Archer, surely the Cubs can find, draft, and develop their own ACES. It isn't worth mortgaging the farm for one guy, and trust me, that is how Tampa works.

They will want and get really good players for him and hardly miss a beat in the rotation because someone will give them close to ready talent, and a lot of it.

If Theo can't do this himself with the people he has assembled, he isn't worthy of keeping his job, nor is his staff.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
So we couldn't dangle a package of Vitters, B JAx, and HEndrix?

2 out of 3 are likely not going to be here (Vitters and B Jax), so we are just making room by moving them. And Hendrix could be a stud, but we would be essentially freeing up room for getting one Ace for a possibility.

IF they would take these three guys, this is what I had in mind, but like I said I am not good at guessing how these trades work out.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

2 out of 3 are likely not going to be here (Vitters and B Jax), so we are just making room by moving them. And Hendrix could be a stud, but we would be essentially freeing up room for getting one Ace for a possibility.

IF they would take these three guys, this is what I had in mind, but like I said I am not good at guessing how these trades work out.

Honestly, I believe the Rays would be offended by that offer. But that's just me. I'm not the greatest at figuring prospects-for-pros trades, either...but I can't imagine Vitters or BJax has a lot of value at the moment.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Honestly, I believe the Rays would be offended by that offer. But that's just me. I'm not the greatest at figuring prospects-for-pros trades, either...but I can't imagine Vitters or BJax has a lot of value at the moment.

Well BJax is another version of Matt Joyce, and Vitters could play outfield for them, which they need. Throw in Hendrix and they may bite. I dunno, lol

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
In all honesty I would thrown in Castro or Alcantara to get Price.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:

Unfortunately, Tampa would never do that.

They would be more apt to get Baez, Voglebach, Johnson, and Viscaino. That is a lot closer to the package that they would demand.

Remember when the Cubs traded for Garza and Rosscup? He was 2nd or 3rd in their rotation and it cost the Cubs their #1 pitching prospect Archer, Lee, Fuld, Chirinos, and Guyer to swing that deal.

I could only imagine the package it would take even with him only having 1 year left.

It will be a good sized market team that can sign him long term and that has plenty of talent in the minors that will get him. That narrows the playing field down big time.

Teams like Pittsburgh have the talent, but not the money to extend him.

Texas, the Cardinals, and Boston have the talent and the money. They are probably better suited to swing it.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

The Rays would laugh at that package and I am not being a dick about it.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

They would be more apt to get Baez, Voglebach, Johnson, and Viscaino. That is a lot closer to the package that they would demand.

Remember when the Cubs traded for Garza and Rosscup? He was 2nd or 3rd in their rotation and it cost the Cubs their #1 pitching prospect Archer, Lee, Fuld, Chirinos, and Guyer to swing that deal.

I could only imagine the package it would take even with him only having 1 year left.

It will be a good sized market team that can sign him long term and that has plenty of talent in the minors that will get him. That narrows the playing field down big time.

Texas, the Cardinals, and Boston have the talent and the money. They are probably better suited to swing it.

I would think 2 top 5 and 4 top 10s with another lower prospect in the mix. The Rays go hard when they trade.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

Also, Cardinals will not do it because of the oney to extend. Boston doesn't have the sprospects that we and neither does the Rangers. The cubs are a top 2 farm in the league now.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Im sorry if things are misspelled. I been drinking. I am from south Louisiana.

bay area bears

Liked Posts:
Why would the cubs want to throw prospects to get a rental in Price next year? Hard to picture the cubbies being in serious contention for the division and there's no guarantee Price signs after the season. On the other hand, I'd be all for throwing 170 million over 7 years to lock down Price as the ace for 2015 and beyond. He's just the kind of arm that could put a young emerging team over the top

Pepe Silvia

Where's my mail?
Liked Posts:
If we they would take something like Soler, Vogelbach, Candelario, Hendricks, and Vitters for Price, I would do it. They get a young arm in Hendricks to go with their already stacked pitching and add some great position prospects. We get an ace while still keeping guys like Baez and Almora in the system.

If we were to extend Price and Shark, we have a nice rotation going forward in Price, Shark, Wood, Jackson, Baker/Grimm/Ramirez/Arrieta/Villanueva.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Give up Soler and four more for one guy? No way they do that.

I don't get why people think the Cubs would trade a load of prospects to get a guy in 2014 when they're not contending, when they could have the same guy in 2015 as a FA, potentially.

Many complain about Theo's rebuilding plan, which I think is going extremely well, and then expect him to blow a chunk of it up for a FA to be. Totally backward.

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
As a trade, very unlikely. Elite pitchers will require giving up a boatload and the Cubs can't afford a boatload any time soon. And they won't have any good use for a rental. If somehow he hits free agency, then the Cubs should be one of the favorites to land him.

Don't think Ellsbury makes sense.

patg006

Liked Posts:

Youre kidding, right?

That would merit the world's fastest *click* from the other line.

And Price is 27--going to be 28 in a month.

You're talking about a top 5 pitcher in the MLB, not dog shit you're scraping off of your shoe...