Could David Price be on the Cubs radar?

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The Rays will not shop him this year, but they know that they won't be able to resign him after next year and will probably try to unload him in the off season.

As a 25 year old he would fit into the 2015/2016 plans for the rotation, and considering we are now loaded with top talent we could offer them something they want.

I am not good at suggesting the right people to trade for him but I know if Hoyer is eyeing him it could be done.

Also what about a former Theo guy Ellsbury coming over? A bit old for the plan but could serve us well when the youngsters do get here.

Price is 27. Not 25.

He'll be 28 in a month.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
LOL at Vitters, BJaxx and Hendrix for Price.

Did you pull this trade off in MLB The Show or something and think it's a good idea?

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
Price is going to command to much in specs, wait for him to hit the market then send him an offer.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
LOL at Vitters, BJaxx and Hendrix for Price.

Did you pull this trade off in MLB The Show or something and think it's a good idea?

Yes I pulled this out of thin air, hence why i said that in the OP.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
David Price would command and absurd return. Unless a team with a ridiculously deep pitching pipeline is willing to mortgage their future, it would be really tough to offer up what the Rays would be looking for to let Price go. He hasn't even began arbitration (he's a Super 2), and the fact that he's considered one of the elite starters in baseball, the fact that he's left handed, and the fact that he's had sustained success in the AL East is going to make him a bear to land in a trade.

The only saving grace for a team is that he's already making $10 million this season, so the conventional wisdom is that he's only going to get more expensive, and the Rays are very choosy with who they extend long-term deals to. When you examine contracts for guys like Matt Moore, Ben Zobrist and Evan Longoria, they've reasonable annual salaries with savvy team option years. I just don't see David Price leaving all that money on the table. Let's say the Cubs wanted to entertain a trade for him.... I would say the package would certainly have to include at least two of Baez, Soler and Almora, plus a mid-tier guy like Alcantara and their two best pitching prospects, which would probably be Pierce Johnson and the newly acquired CJ Edwards.

So again.... Soler, Almora, Alcantara, Johnson and Edwards for Price? That essentially defeats the purpose of what the Cubs have been building over the last two years.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The Cubs can be patient and why not wait till he hits free agency.

My guess is it would cost

Castro
Almora
Szczur

czman

Liked Posts:
If the cubs spend big money on a pitcher I want it to be Kershaw.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
If the cubs spend big money on a pitcher I want it to be Kershaw.

I don't see him leaving the Dodgers. They'll probably make passes at guys like Ervin Santana, Tim Lincecum and Josh Johnson this offseason. Hell, they might even try to resign Matt Garza.

czman

Liked Posts:
I don't see him leaving the Dodgers. They'll probably make passes at guys like Ervin Santana, Tim Lincecum and Josh Johnson this offseason. Hell, they might even try to resign Matt Garza.

Why can't the Cubs sign Kershaw. I know the Dodgers have a ton of money, but the Cubs have part of Sori coming of the books and Garza gone. That could be ~20 million right there.

Kershaw could be the best pitcher in baseball over the next 5 years. I think 8 years 200 million gives the Cubs a chance to get him. When a team has a chance to get the prime years of the best pitcher in baseball they have to go after it.

Kershaw is the top FA talent that has come around in a long time. His age/durability/skills/just entering his prime are all most perfect. He is going to be 26 next season.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So we couldn't dangle a package of Vitters, B JAx, and HEndrix?

2 out of 3 are likely not going to be here (Vitters and B Jax), so we are just making room by moving them. And Hendrix could be a stud, but we would be essentially freeing up room for getting one Ace for a possibility.

IF they would take these three guys, this is what I had in mind, but like I said I am not good at guessing how these trades work out.

lol what!!!! bjax and vitters have zero value. wow

patg006

Liked Posts:
Why can't the Cubs sign Kershaw. I know the Dodgers have a ton of money, but the Cubs have part of Sori coming of the books and Garza gone. That could be ~20 million right there.

Kershaw could be the best pitcher in baseball over the next 5 years. I think 8 years 200 million gives the Cubs a chance to get him. When a team has a chance to get the prime years of the best pitcher in baseball they have to go after it.

Kershaw is the top FA talent that has come around in a long time. His age/durability/skills/just entering his prime are all most perfect. He is going to be 26 next season.

You just kind of explained it. Plus there's this. Teams dont let elite pitching walk away without trying everything to keep him and more.

Dodgers wont let Kershaw walk, they're planning on making him the newest highly paid pitcher in the major league.

If he somehow hits free agency, its a no brainer to get in the bidding war.

I dont think the Dodgers are that incompetent. I expect him to sign this extension this upcoming winter.

Oh--and Drew; its cubs fans were talking here. Nobody said they were bright, we just had one of the unrealistic ones propose this 'masterpiece' deal....

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Kershaw is going to get $30 million annually when his contract is due -- you heard it hear first. He's going into his final year of arbitration this year and I could certainly see him getting upwards of $20 million, if the Dodgers don't try and work out an extension now. He's 25, never had injury issues and is the best pitcher in baseball right now, leading a very good rotation. I don't think a 10-year contract worth $300+ million is out of the question. And it certainly wouldn't surprise me if the Dodgers gave it to him.

And don't get me wrong, if Kershaw wanted to play for the Cubs, I'd hand him a contract and tell him to fill in whatever salary he wants. He's a once-in-a-generation player along the lines of Mike Trout, Miguel Cabrera and a small select few. He's a future Hall of Famer in the making, barring an injury. His career numbers so far are absolutely ridiculous.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Vitters and BJaxx may land us Vincent Price, but not David.

But as has been said....wait until he's a FA. makes ZERO sense for the Cubs to trade prospects for a guy who is headed to Free Agency. If someone else trades for him and signs him, so be it.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Vitters and BJaxx may land us Vincent Price, but not David.

But as has been said....wait until he's a FA. makes ZERO sense for the Cubs to trade prospects for a guy who is headed to Free Agency. If someone else trades for him and signs him, so be it.

I like Vincent's upside more than Vitters at this point...